SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213280 - 02/23/06 09:48 PM changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
after having a korg pa50 for a while, i might want to go with psr3000, mainly because of it's easier to work with OS, and because this one provides more modern features (even if i am not gonna use direct internet thing for instance too much)
i only breafly had the chance to play a psr3000, few months ago, and i honeslty can not remember how was it like, compared with pa50. at that time i remember i even posted on the forum my impressions, but should i trust them anymore!?
in fact, in those five-ten minutes really, how much could i check?
so, i'd like to ask for your oppinion, those that have (had) both of this instruments. what is their abilities compared to each other? really, the psr's manual is not telling almost anything, unfortunatelly!
1. do you think the sounds are comparable? (matter of taste, i know, but need your oppinion) - i liked the sounds on pa50 quite alot.
2. the styles - are they tweakable as in pa50? can you change their sounds on-fly? how many user styles location for new-custom styles? can the factory styles be changed/saved over?
3. assigning action to multi pad. in pa50 i could assign not only sounds but also some functions to the four pads. can i do that in psr?
4. what do you think about key action/feel compared in this two instruments?
5. how's vocal harmonist in psr3000? any good...?
6. is the difference between psr3000 and psr1500 sooo huge? (pricing pa50 = psr1500) i might consider 1500 for a change.
7. and one other important thing to me: in the pa50 there was a anoying noise coming out the speakers, but headphones too, even when the volume slider was all the way down. when going the slider up, this noise stop gradually, but is beeng replaced by the other type of noise, the "normal" one that comes with volume increasing anyway. i know this is a problem that also some other pa50 users had. so, my question is, how clean is the outputs of psr? can i record into the computer without having to apply heavy noise reduction?

i also have some other question, but for more i'll try to surf the forum a little bit!
thanks for sharring!

#213281 - 02/24/06 05:16 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
really, the psr's manual is not telling almost anything, unfortunatelly!

All keyboard manuals were written by folks that apparently have no ability to write manuals. Therefore, the best PSR/Tyros/Tyros2 manual is the lessons at PSR Tutorial

1. do you think the sounds are comparable? (matter of taste, i know, but need your oppinion) - i liked the sounds on pa50 quite alot.

This is a bit subjective, however, IMO Yamaha's voices are superior, particularly the guitar, sax, trumpet and piano voices.

2. the styles - are they tweakable as in pa50? can you change their sounds on-fly? how many user styles location for new-custom styles? can the factory styles be changed/saved over?

The styles can be tweaked, restructured, and lots of this can be done on the fly. However, you will have to save the changes as a custom style, or in a registration, in order to have those changes become permanent. You cannot make changes to the orriginal style and have those changes default to the orriginal style.

3. assigning action to multi pad. in pa50 i could assign not only sounds but also some functions to the four pads. can i do that in psr?

Yes, this can be done within registrations, or assigned to custom styles.

I personally like a lighter action, which in my case is very beneficial because of a hectic playing schedule. The key feel is somewhat lighter than the 50, but not significantly.

NO onboard vocal processor will be as good as the latest stand-alones such as the Digitech and TC Helicon processors. The harmonies are OK at best, and like all onboard processors, must be tuned and used sparingly.

6. is the difference between psr3000 and psr1500 sooo huge? (pricing pa50 = psr1500) i might consider 1500 for a change.

YES!

7. and one other important thing to me: in the pa50 there was a anoying noise coming out the speakers, but headphones too, even when the volume slider was all the way down. when going the slider up, this noise stop gradually, but is beeng replaced by the other type of noise, the "normal" one that comes with volume increasing anyway. i know this is a problem that also some other pa50 users had. so, my question is, how clean is the outputs of psr? can i record into the computer without having to apply heavy noise reduction?

When problems of this nature are reported, I often find there is something wrong with the grounding system where the keyboard is being used. I have a pair of 3000s and there is no white noise, background hiss, humm or any other noise at any volume level.

i also have some other question, but for more i'll try to surf the forum a little bit!
thanks for sharring!

You'll likely find the answers to all of your questions at the PSR Tutorial's forum.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#213282 - 02/24/06 06:41 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I demoed the PA50 and was not impressed. Although many people don't like the acoustic piano on the PA50, I thought it was quite good. The organs are very good as well. If I had to choose between the PA50 and PSR1500, I would buy the PSR1500, no hesitation. The sweet voices are just awesome on the Yamaha's, IMO. Neither Korg or Roland come close in the mid-price category.
Starkeeper

#213283 - 02/25/06 02:06 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
adimatis Offline

thanks for replying!
i thought i'd like the demos i've found on psrtutorial.com more.
but still searching.

#213284 - 02/26/06 12:45 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
read the following post.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 02-26-2006).]

#213285 - 02/26/06 01:02 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...

over all sound wise(except ac piano ,ac guitars and some reed sounds) and effects pa50 is better IMHO.but sweet/live cool voices are as good.under $1000 you can't get better sound than pa 50(yes better than exrs).

preset styles can not be changed totally like PA but ,SM slot and usb thumb drive made up for it.BTW most styles are versatile,plus music finder feature(like perfom mode but easier).and yes you can change them on fly

better you can play drum loops,and instruments phrases(like pa1x new OS).

similar but psr has the edge,more reliable action(if you comparing with PA 60,PA 60 is better)

not pa1x or g70 but useful if you have the right settings

function wise (except VH)psr 1500 is the same,but in sound dept it's way under PA.

never heard of issues,but hardware of psr is not great too.

to sum it up
------------
over all sound wise(except ac piano ) and effects pa50 is better IMHO.but sweet/live cool voices are as good.

psr blows pa is versatility and OS dept(unlike multi button pushing in PA both style and program/perform mode

and yes fills

large support of 3rd party styles,sm card and usb thumb drive for thousands of instant styles and mid files

better and more logical display(no dual button pressing for mutes etc)

easier layout and efx section

muti pads,smf play and arranger synchronization(great features)

over all more useful(less busy)styles,better chord recognition

vh means if you are solo gigger (no seperate mixer needed)(ie-can use power spker since psr has global eq settings)

no wonder yam is getting away with not so great hardware(since their OS,features are hard to beat)

eaiser to get a soft case

downside of psr
---------------
drum samples not as good as pa

overall individual sounds(lacks fullness and punch with few exceptions) compared to pa
-more look of a home KB/hardware

not a real seq(pa 's seq is not that easy to use mainly d/t weak layout though functions are sufficient).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 02-26-2006).]

#213286 - 02/27/06 01:08 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
adimatis Offline

thanks jamman!
i noticed, reading the manual, that psr's "sequencer" while not being a real one, still provides good tool for editing. most of all, i liked "undo" function that completely lack in pa's seq. (at least i didn t find it ) this can be very important when aplying quantize and is not the right settings.
also, the big screen, with many lines display is great for any kind of tweaking i believe.
i wanted to know: is the vocal harm. the same as tyros1 has?
and another thing: it seems to me, even if i never tried it, that psr has better inter-action with a external sequencer (cubase sx for instance). meaning that recording with auto accomp. in cubase, editing and playing the song back on psr does not require so many
button pressed, settings changed, many displays, etc etc.
can anyone confirm?

and one more: how many locations for user/imported styles do i get in psr3000?

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 02-27-2006).]

#213287 - 02/27/06 04:50 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
thanks jamman!
i noticed, reading the manual, that psr's "sequencer" while not being a real one, still provides good tool for editing. most of all, i liked "undo" function that completely lack in pa's seq. (at least i didn t find it ) this can be very important when aplying quantize and is not the right settings.
also, the big screen, with many lines display is great for any kind of tweaking i believe.
i wanted to know: is the vocal harm. the same as tyros1 has?

Looking at the schematic diagram of the 3000s vocal processor, it appears to be identical to the Tyros1. The main difference is the Tyros has an independent volume control on top of the keyboard, where the 3000s volume control is both an electronic slider, which is located on the main screen, and a manual trim pot that is situated next to the mic jack on the back of the keyboard.

and another thing: it seems to me, even if i never tried it, that psr has better inter-action with a external sequencer (cubase sx for instance). meaning that recording with auto accomp. in cubase, editing and playing the song back on psr does not require so many
button pressed, settings changed, many displays, etc etc.
can anyone confirm?

and one more: how many locations for user/imported styles do i get in psr3000?

The number of user style slots (memory locations) is essentially limited to the size of the USB storage device. This means you can access thousands directly from the USB Thumb Drive, or from the smart media card, which is the equivelent of having approximately 80 floppy disks loaded with files, all at the touch of a button. And, there are more third-party style files available for Yamaha keyboards than all other brands combined.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#213288 - 02/27/06 05:22 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
adimatis Offline

thanks gary!

#213289 - 02/28/06 06:59 AM Re: changing from pa50 to psr3000 ...?
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
My oh My,what a consensus here !!
I remember Adamatis'quest for the right keyboard from last year and how much problems he had in finally getting the Korg into Rumania.
It seems to me he is now letting himself getting carried away by the Yammie boys overhere.
Well Adamatis there is ONE difference between the two keyboards that no one has mentioned so far:
The PSR3000 sounds like a (very,very) good keyboard.
the Korg PA-50 however sounds like a real band...............
pick your choice !!!!

regards,
john smies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online