SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185835 - 01/06/06 01:12 PM Singer Lou Rawls Dies
Dnj Offline

#185836 - 01/06/06 02:15 PM Re: Singer Lou Rawls Dies
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
What a loss! In 1981, I was playing at a hotel in Lexington (The Campbell House Inn).

I was a wild man. Lou Rawls and part of his family stayed at the Inn for several weeks while a member of his family took show horse training. He was in the lounge twice...no fanfare...no grandstanding. He came up to me and told me that I wasn't doing right (drinking). He said that the business was hard enough and that the way I was going I had "no shot".

I never forgot that, and quit drinking shortly after.

Saw him again about 95 at my regular job. He looked at my coffee cup, gave me a big smile and said "allright!" Both contacts lasted less than 10 minutes, but were "life changers" for me.

He was a great singer and an even better human.

Russ

#185837 - 01/06/06 03:37 PM Re: Singer Lou Rawls Dies
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
What a loss! In 1981, I was playing at a hotel in Lexington (The Campbell House Inn).

I was a wild man. Lou Rawls and part of his family stayed at the Inn for several weeks while a member of his family took show horse training. He was in the lounge twice...no fanfare...no grandstanding. He came up to me and told me that I wasn't doing right (drinking). He said that the business was hard enough and that the way I was going I had "no shot".

I never forgot that, and quit drinking shortly after.

Saw him again about 95 at my regular job. He looked at my coffee cup, gave me a big smile and said "allright!" Both contacts lasted less than 10 minutes, but were "life changers" for me.

He was a great singer and an even better human.

Russ

Russ that's a great story, sent chills down my spine. Sounds a little like a story I tell just wasn't Lou Rawls who made the comments to me.

He had to be one of my favorite male vocalists, to have a voice like his! What a loss.

#185838 - 01/10/06 06:48 AM Re: Singer Lou Rawls Dies
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One of my favorite artists ... Lydia and I had the pleasure of seeing him this past year at "Skullers" an intimate jazz club outside of Boston ... In between shows we saw him in the lobby and I asked him to sign a CD of his ... he talked to us like we were old friends ...
He will be missed ...
t.

#185839 - 01/10/06 07:07 AM Re: Singer Lou Rawls Dies
Dnj Offline

Sunday nights gig I did a dedictaion & did
"Your Gonna Miss My Lovin"

Gonna miss him he was smooth as silk!

#185840 - 01/14/06 01:57 AM Re: Singer Lou Rawls Dies
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
You must mean the song...

"You'll Never Find'

I did it too!

Also got out all the old records... he really does some great raps about love, hard knocks, etc. in some of the early stuff. Groovy People, Lady Love, Love's a Hurtin Thing, Dead End St. Tobacco Road... all faves of mine.

Here's hoping A&Em VH1 or BBC does a 'Life of' program eh?

T

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online