SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112538 - 12/08/05 07:53 PM Speakers?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
I'm thinking of getting the Logitech Z5500 for smaller venues and a pair of Peavey Pr10 powered speakers for larger.

I've read much response about the Z5500 but, has anyone used the Peavey Pr10 or anyother 10" speakers for a OMB setup? I'm thinking 10" speakers because of the weight.
Thanks

Peter

#112539 - 12/08/05 08:01 PM Re: Speakers?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Peter,

Check out the Barbetta Sona 31-C & 32-C powered speaker specifications. Lightweight, very high quality, lots of power, and excellent frequency response.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#112540 - 12/08/05 10:03 PM Re: Speakers?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Peter

I use 2 powered JBL Eon 10G2's. They sound real good. Almost always I am able to tilt the speakers back, let the sound bounce off the ceiling and not have to use stands. They weigh only 23 lbs.

Some time ago I checked out the Peavey PR10's and PR12's. I don't remember if the PR10's I tried were powered or not. But I can tell you they did not sound as full or have as much umph as my JBL's which I took with me to the store for a side by side comparison.

At the time I was experimenting to see if the PR12's would give me more power and depth of sound. These were not powered, which is what I was interested in because they only weigh 29 lbs.

What I found was there was an enormous amount of power available through these speakers. It also seemed to add some nice depth in sound, which is what I expected seeing as the speaker itself is bigger and the cabinet is bigger and deeper.

I did notice some drop out on some notes of some instruments. In discussing this on SZ it was mentioned that I was using the classic "V" shape for the EQ controls. This may explain why the instruments I noticed the sound drop off on were experiencing that.

I only had a short time to try these speakers out, mainly because they were so loud to the employees in a very large store.

I am thinking one day soon I will try them again, and I suspect if I set the EQ to flat that they will be fine.

I was considering getting the new Behringer PSX880S (I think it is) lots of power and only 19 lbs and only around $350.

If this set up works as well as I think it will it will allow one to have a very light weight system and also very reasonalbly priced. The entire set up can be bought for between $600 - $700 with a little snooping around.

I own the Logitech z5500. Some of the players like the Logitechs. For my taste there is a major lack of mid range.

I do sometimes use the Logitech sub with the JBL. This is a quite a sound . I prefer not to use the satelites.

As far as enough power for larger rooms using the JBL 10's. It depends on how big a room you are talking about and what kind of music. To me, they cover about 98% of the rooms I play. And yet, most think I am always too loud, including in the few large rooms I would have liked more.

If you were to get the JBL's, IMHO you will not want to or need to use the Logitech z5500.

Since you have mentioned Peavey, I would suggest testing out the PR12's.

The main thing is to try them yourself and see how they fit your needs.

Best
Scott Langholff
http://ScottLMusic.com

#112541 - 12/09/05 03:26 AM Re: Speakers?
Beakybird Offline

If you get the JBL's, you should get the gig bags that JBL sells for them. Then you can keep a right angle 1/4" cable always plugged in as well as the power cable.

This way you can use the speaker for small venues as well. They weigh less than 25lbs. apiece. Just unzip, whip out the power and audio cables, plug in and play.

Even for small venues, I would want to go with a professional speaker that is road rugged. The Logitechs are not.

Beakybird

#112542 - 12/09/05 07:52 AM Re: Speakers?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I've used just one JBL Eon 10G2 for several senior home gigs and I've never had to turn up the volume over 50-65%. Sound is great and setup time is a breeze.

Glenn

#112543 - 12/09/05 09:08 AM Re: Speakers?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Along with this question, would anyone have an opinion if these speakers would sound decent with a PSR2100? (for home use)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...ogitechSpeakers

The price is nice.

Thanks,
Larry

------------------
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#112544 - 12/09/05 09:26 AM Re: Speakers?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I wouldn't anticipate much in the way of power after reading the specifications on the 530 system. Granted, there is 70 watts available, but keep in mind that most of the satellites are just 7.5 watts each--not much there.

If you decide to purchase the 530 system, I would urge you to buy it from someone with a liberal return policy--even if you have to pay a little more. Could save lots of greif in the long run.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#112545 - 12/09/05 10:58 AM Re: Speakers?
Scott Langholff Offline

Another good way for cases for the JBL 10 is to use parachute bags. They are the perfect size, offer scratch prevention and only cost around $13 apiece.

I don't use any covers because I am very careful with them. But, since they are a little awkward to carry without a case because of the set up for the handle in back makes them off balance, I got some black belt webbing from a boat supply store to make handles for them.

I cut them to the right length, used a solder gun to burn holes through the belt where the screws fit through. The burning keeps the belts from unraveling.

I then took the front piece off the speaker and lined them up with the two end, top screw holes. Then I just screwed the front piece back on, and you have perfectly balanced speakers for hauling around. You can easily carry both at once.

Also, for quick set up and tear down, I leave the patch and power cords plugged in and use velcro ties to secure them to the belt handles.

Scott

#112546 - 12/09/05 11:14 AM Re: Speakers?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
My first thought, before I posted, was the JBL 10G, but they are a little pricey (about $529.00 each) BUT, the weight of them is hard to pass up and I know they sound great because I herd them even though they weren't with the PSR3000.

The reason I mentioned the Peavey PR10's was twofold: first, I know Peavey makes a good product and second, I can get them for 50% off list through my son. The only problem with that is that if I don't like them I can't return them because they're coming directly from Peavey and they're heavier than the JBL's. There's no dealer around here that has the PR10's. They have the larger speakers but not the PR10's.

Gary,I know Baretta's are great speakers, but they're pricey too and about 10lbs heavier than the JBL's.

Scott, I looked for those Behringers at their website...couldn't find them.
Sounds like you really do your research! If you get more information please let me know.

Beakybird and Glenn, I hear what you're saying, your're right if I do decide to go with the JBL's I won't need the Logitech Z5500 for smaller venues. I have to go to Samash, bring my PSR3000 and listen to them or buy them and return them if I don't like them. I think they have a good return policy.

Sooooooooooo, as usual, I'll be in limbo for awhile trying to make up my mind, but keep those opions coming they're great.

Peter

#112547 - 12/09/05 11:40 AM Re: Speakers?
Scott Langholff Offline

Behringer PMH880S or PMX880S. I have seen them listed both ways.
http://www.behringer.com/PMH880S/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Whatever you get, you will want two speakers so you can be in stereo if you are using a PSR3000. The is a big difference in sound.

I bought my JBL 10G2's off ebay for $550 for both shipped. At the time I had never heard them, but figured if I didn't like them I could easily resell them on ebay.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online