SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215861 - 12/06/05 06:54 AM GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Hi all. I've come up with an interesting arranger rig based around the new GEM PRP-800;

along with another device to go with it, the Ketron MidJay ;

If you haven't heard the GEM PRP's yet, they are definitely worth a look and listen. The PRP 700 and 800 have the same piano sound as the GEM RP-800 and use the same DRAKE technology as the GEM ProMega 3, which may be one of the most developed acoustic piano sounds in the industry currently. The PRP's have 80 notes of polyphony. I understand that the PRP's have been selling in Europe (particularly Germany) since last Spring and are doing well. They are supposed to begin selling in the US this month. I think the PRP-800 is the lightweight (under 45 lbs) graded hammer 88 digital piano and controller I've been waiting for. I like internal speakers for ease of practice so the 800 would be my choice over the 700 but either would make a good stage piano.

The addition of the lightweight MidJay would effectively turn the PRP into an arranger keyboard, plus the PRP's and the MidJay are both silver with blue displays. Should make a lightweight excellent-looking multi-functional solo rig combo.

I'm still interested in pursuing a soft-arranger setup based around my laptop but the MidJay keeps drawing me back for it's size and convenience.

Comments?

#215862 - 12/06/05 07:17 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Esh, WDMcM should be able to guide you.

#215863 - 12/06/05 07:23 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Jim,
the RP-800 looks interesting; here in Italy it should be available around mid-December. If I have the opportunity to play one, I will let you know.

#215864 - 12/06/05 07:53 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Dnj Offline

Esh....Im using a Roland A37 http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=8&SubCatID=38&ProdID=A-37

with the great sounds of the Ketron Midjay and Im having a ball...it sounds Great and the flexability of playing Styles/Mp3's/Smf/Wav/SFX/Lyrics, Vocals & Harmony all in realtime seperatly or together controlled with sliders in an 8 Lb module & a controller keyboard via Midi is an awesome combination all interacted via USB ......

Good Luck it will fit you nicly!!

#215865 - 12/06/05 08:56 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Interesting idea, Jim. I already have half of the setup, so... The PRP-800 looks very interesting, lightweight and the piano sounds should be top notch. Interesting price, too. My only concerns are the the controller capabilities of the instrument. Should be ok for piano, but no wheels... I'll take a look at the manual.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 12-06-2005).]

#215866 - 12/06/05 01:55 PM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Esh,
I have a Clavinova CLP170 ( no styles) , and I'm hoping to buy a Midijay this weekend. The midijay sounds like it's a pretty amazing piece of equipment. I'm still continuing on with my software based arranger system as well, but it will be nice to just be able to switch it on & play.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Esh:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#215867 - 12/06/05 04:01 PM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Hi Esh,

Check this out:
Korg SP-250!

I think this new Korg sounds pretty good, What do you guys think?

Greetz ,
Marcel

#215868 - 12/06/05 08:04 PM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Esh....Im using a Roland A37 http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=8&SubCatID=38&ProdID=A-37

with the great sounds of the Ketron Midjay and Im having a ball...it sounds Great and the flexability of playing Styles/Mp3's/Smf/Wav/SFX/Lyrics, Vocals & Harmony all in realtime seperatly or together controlled with sliders in an 8 Lb module & a controller keyboard via Midi is an awesome combination all interacted via USB ......

Good Luck it will fit you nicly!!

So the MidJay is acting as both your accompaniment and your live-playing tone module? Impressive, especially if there is enough polyphony to do SMF's or style accompaniment and live playing at once. But the MidJay is so flexible that I could see how you could use the internal sounds to create wave or MP3 files for backing tracks and then play them back on the MidJay while using a controller to play the internal voices live. I will be flying to some gigs next year and I'm looking for ways to avoid shipping keyboards, like renting a digital piano or controller on site, so having a MidJay that can do it all is reassuring... plus I could carry a laptop as a backup.

Marcel: the Korg SP-250 looks nice but I'm ready to take a break from the Japanese keyboards for now. GEM has gone further with modeling the piano than many other manufacturers and the price and portability of the PRP-800 are spot-on for me. One little added cool feature of the PRP's is the illuminated music stand that lights up in soft blue. It seems that just about any digital piano combined with the Keytron MidJay would be effective.

Jose: you're right, the PRP-800 has no wheels which is a drawback, or more like a trade-off for the 80-note polyphony modeled piano capability. For me it's not an essential feature because I have several other controller options - in fact I could easily see using my Novation X-Station 49 as a super-light second keyboard/controller to access voices in either the GEM PRP-800 or the Keytron MidJay. I also intend to keep one of my Yamaha 9000 Pro's which would make an arranger system of doom if added it to the PRP-800/MidJay combo. Too much fun.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 12-06-2005).]

#215869 - 12/08/05 06:21 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So the MidJay is acting as both your accompaniment and your live-playing tone module? Impressive, especially if there is enough polyphony to do SMF's or style accompaniment and live playing at once. But the MidJay is so flexible that I could see how you could use the internal sounds to create wave or MP3 files for backing tracks and then play them back on the MidJay while using a controller to play the internal voices live. I will be flying to some gigs next year and I'm looking for ways to avoid shipping keyboards, like renting a digital piano or controller on site, so having a MidJay that can do it all is reassuring... plus I could carry a laptop as a backup.

Jim.....Midjay/+ Conroller is really a great way to go for so many playing situations....there are a few limitations vs a stand alone Arranger but not enough to effect playing live on stage without any problems.....using a FS6/FS13 pedal also will improve hands free navagation.....
I think you will be very surpised at ALL the Things the MIDJAY can do, its a great concept for the live performer.
I love this thing it sounds Sooooo good!
Keep us posted on your progress.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-08-2005).]

#215870 - 12/08/05 09:16 AM Re: GEM PRP-700/800 digital pianos (plus a MidJay?)
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki & Esh I feel so sad and once again so alone.....oh well I like the software approach regardless of what everyone else likes. When you think of it...I have it pretty good. M. Bedesem I think likes the Tyros and yet has expended considerable effort to help me like my software approach (modifying his software so I can use it for free). It doesn't get any better than that. Even Rikki & Esh provided all kinds of advice so I could like my software jungle some more. Oh well!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online