SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89816 - 10/25/05 12:32 PM New Alesis Suma amp
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just bought an Alesis Suma 100 keyboard amp...I tried it at GC about 6 months ago ..side by side an Behringer 1200, and I was not impressed at all with the Alesis..
Today I gave it another shot...I played a Triton Extreme thru it,, same results, it just didn't have it...
I then tried the Fantom X...I thought what is wrong with this amp?

Then I took a good look at the settings, the GC guys set it up 6 months ago and also today..
It has 2 band EQ on channel 1,designed to use with a low impedance mic, or a 1/4" instrument[even both at the same time ]..

I found that with the proper 3 band Master EQ[first setting] the amp came alive and the Fantom kicked some butt[you have to boost the bass and some mids]..Even bass guitar sounded good..Organs had more punch..The piano ,I noticed I had too cut a little on the high band..After I found the proper Master EQ..It sounded pretty nice..

I use the second input channel[two inputs, I'll explain later] for my keyboard..

The second procedure was to set up my mic in channel 1 with a low impedance mic..Adjust the 2 band EQ[counter adjusting from the Master EQ]..dialed in the effects of choice[28 bit effects], and adjusted the send level of the effects on channel 1.

The results...not bad at all...I was looking for a small amp with enough power and effects to use on small jobs and also double as a stage monitor..I think I found one..

Now the two input per channel thing..there is a stereo out link and a stereo in jack as well..by added another amp..you have a true stereo system...
Also Alesis includes low impedance/balanced outs...to send to the house/ mixer/ recording systems..

You can also add a stereo mixer such as my Alesis Multi mix 6 FX..into the Stereo input jack..making it a very flexible Alesis set up..
I will see how I like it on stage, but I think it's a keeper..

BTW , it is in expensive[$400 retail/$300 street]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 10-25-2005).]

#89817 - 10/25/05 02:16 PM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
Dnj Offline

#89818 - 10/26/05 06:31 PM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
help me ?

#89819 - 10/27/05 12:33 PM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
I tried the SUMO and liked the sound. But the knobs felt really cheap in my hand, like they would disintegrate before they would stand up to the stresses of moving in and out of my car. I am probably being unfair, but it is interesting how small details can make such a big impression.

#89820 - 10/27/05 05:06 PM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
Fran Carango Offline

Flatfoot, I agree with you.
They seem cheap, hopefully what I don't see[inside], workmanship and components, are of better quality...This quality thing seems to be the standard for China products..I hope I am wrong..
I do use a Mackie CFX12 mixer,made in China ..that has been a dependable unit[probably because of Mackie standards].

I also have concerns about the keyboards made in China..So far they don't appear to be the same quality as Italy and Japan products..

Other electronics I have from China are also debatable, when it comes to quality[laptop computer, not inexpensive either]..

#89821 - 10/28/05 01:31 PM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
Fran Carango Offline

I was going to try the Sumo tonite on stage..so I ran some trials in my studio..I made one mistake, I ran the Sumo side by side with my 20 year Roland Keyboard 60 amp...
In the Alesis manual the Sumo is rated at 140 watts..8 0hms..

The Roland is 60 watts..

At 1/3 volume the Roland is louder than the Alesis set at 3/4 volume..

I wanted a light , powerful amp with mixer and effects..so I would not need to carry a mixer for small jobs..

The Alesis has a very limited effects section , and I could not find anything to really please me..there was one setting that was just OK..

My decision, "Dump" the Alesis..it is overated in the power dept, and lacks quality..

I tried another "modern" instrument...and it can't compete with the "relic"..

#89822 - 10/29/05 05:41 AM Re: New Alesis Suma amp
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
i'll buy the zip today

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online