SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#138432 - 08/11/05 06:08 AM New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If anyone dares listen to another, haha.

This is also one I need some outside opinions on. This is a slow ballad and it's not a happy song but hopefully, a nice (worthwhile) song. Whether it's ready for prime time, I dunno. That's what I'm needing, thumbs up or thumbs down. (Songwriters need feedback!)

So, if you love it, hate it, whatever, that is helpful. Or if you hear any sonic problems, advise. (It's got some, haha.)

The Prince mp3

(click on The Prince.)

P.S. Just me and psr2000.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-16-2005).]

#138433 - 08/11/05 11:05 AM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Bill, just heard your latest...I loved the music..in fact, I would love for you to send me a midi file of the music.....I wasn't too thrilled with the song as far as the lyrics went....if you don't mind, send me a midi file of the music and let me take a crack at some new lyrics for it.....who knows where it will lead..hehehe..keep it up
Tony Rome

#138434 - 08/11/05 02:15 PM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
Bill, just heard your latest...I loved the music..in fact, I would love for you to send me a midi file of the music.....I wasn't too thrilled with the song as far as the lyrics went....if you don't mind, send me a midi file of the music and let me take a crack at some new lyrics for it.....who knows where it will lead..hehehe..keep it up
Tony Rome

Thanks for listening and the feedback and the offer, Tony! At this time (and maybe never), I can't do anything with this song except tweak it and make it better if it needs tweaking. Because 'the prince' was my dad's best friend and his family has already heard this song. Even if only the family and I like it, it can't change too much.

Like you, I really like this music, I think it's very pretty. The lyric, I can't say because I am too close to the subject. The prince was just as described in the song. A town leader, a good man who helped countless people in his life. If people don't feel anything from the character and story, I dunno what I'll do. This is the first it's been heard by anyone other than them, so, too early to say yet.

I am heavily influenced by storytelling and character songwriters, so, I write some sad songs as well as funny ones. This one is 100% true. I had meant to tell him how much I appreciated him and never did it. He got very sick, I kept meaning to go to the hospital and before I did, he died.

The trick in songwriting is to write songs that touch a pretty good percentage of the target audience of the genre. So, the question is, does "The Prince" make people feel emotion? I don't know yet!

And again, I'm not offended you don't like the lyric. Everyone has an opinion!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#138435 - 08/11/05 03:11 PM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hey bill,
you possibly need to look at your recording levels, coz the s/nr on this is way off..did you record at as close to parity as you could?, dont forget that whilst compression is a good tool it also raises the noisefloor. the vocal seemed to be clipping in parts also, as did the piano, which to my ears sounded a bit over-compressed, or was it just the particular sample on the yammi, or was it an acoustic piano miked a bit far away from the hammers?
cheers
dennis

#138436 - 08/11/05 03:22 PM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
hey bill,
you possibly need to look at your recording levels, coz the s/nr on this is way off..did you record at as close to parity as you could?, dont forget that whilst compression is a good tool it also raises the noisefloor. the vocal seemed to be clipping in parts also, as did the piano, which to my ears sounded a bit over-compressed, or was it just the particular sample on the yammi, or was it an acoustic piano miked a bit far away from the hammers?
cheers
dennis

DonM said it sounded too hot to him, as well. Sounds great here! No kidding. Either I'm deaf or it's this cheesy setup. I could tell on the waveform it was borderline but it still sounded good. I posted it because it sounded pretty good and I was curious how you experts would see it. This was recorded before I figured something else out on the Fostex.

I think among MANY other things, I am going to get with someone and have them listen with me there on their setup and let them find a part of a song that has clipping or distortion and see if I can even hear it. I might not even be able to hear this stuff... with high frequency hearing loss. And cheesy headphones and the Logitech z2200 'monitors.'

That was the psr2000 piano, not an acoustic piano.

Hey Dennis, are you familiar with Har-Bal? Would that help a person with hearing loss? Visual mastering? Does it help you to mix visually?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#138437 - 08/11/05 06:24 PM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi bill,
mixing visually always!! re har-bal i have only casually looked at this program, and it seemed to me to be a bit gimmicky...although i havent actually used it so it might be okay...run a decent 31 band graphic and use your ears imho is still the best way...but these things prob aren't much use to you bill, if you are just using tracks with all instruments "in"...if an when you start doing individual tracking, then an additional eq might help...eq'ing should be done on single instruments as its designed to help them fit into their own space in a mix, without overintruding somewhere else..if the instruments are already in "each others way" so to speak, no amount of eq'ing or balancing on the end l/r track will make a lot of difference, other than to just flatten everything out, which "flattens the mix" too....
cheers
dennis

#138438 - 08/11/05 10:01 PM Re: New recording better? (THE PRINCE mp3)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill,
I have a graphic e.q. you are welcome to use.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online