SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#160807 - 08/04/05 02:21 PM Your opinion of Korg PA50
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
When I purchased my PSR3000 last month, I was attracted also to the PA50. The sounds, the dual sequencers, even the built-in speakers impressed me. Styles were OK, however the rock styles were far beyond anything I've heard on any keyboard. Anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this board? Just curious.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#160808 - 08/04/05 04:59 PM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
I have the PA-50 and stop short of a recommendation for playing out if you are going to use it in style play mode-a little cumbersome, but do recommend for studio work, and playing out-song mode. The selling point for me was the ability to overwrite all styles with custom ones.

#160809 - 08/04/05 10:23 PM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:
I own the PSR 3000 and the PA60, it's clone the 50 is almost identical, I use both in my performances, and as far goes in real time, I recomend for BOTH to make your registrations(PSR)/performances(PA50)...and with one touch, is VERY FAST...no delays in either one....you must pre-program some "generic" registrations.....and you will do fine. I do not use midi files, only styles in real time for the dances I play. I do use more more my PA for Foxtrot, Pop, Rock some latin , but my 3000 also is great for latin, swing, etc. I combine them and is really good. The secuencers are very good, is very rare for me to use a midi file, I lean to use more the PSR....I do not have to carry floppys, I use mine with Thumb drive (256 Megs) and a SM (128 megs also), so styles, registrations, user voices, some midi files.

#160810 - 08/05/05 01:19 AM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
CoasterTim,
Personally I have no use for the PSR3000 but it is a great keyboard for the price, but I am well seasoned with the use of the PA-50 (previously I owned the PA-80 which is almost identical) and I can assure you that is a superb keyboard , a complete knock-out for the price and ever so complementary to the use of a Yamaha PSR-3000. A combination that could last for many years in my opinion.
Having programmed very extensively on this board over the last few years I disagree with Ricok's remarks about the styles, but obviously that is a matter of taste. Should you decide to purchase one, just drop me a line and I will be glad to provide with you all sorts of new software.
regards,
john smies
(Holland)

#160811 - 08/06/05 11:09 AM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:
CoasterTim,
Personally I have no use for the PSR3000 but it is a great keyboard for the price, but I am well seasoned with the use of the PA-50 (previously I owned the PA-80 which is almost identical) and I can assure you that is a superb keyboard , a complete knock-out for the price and ever so complementary to the use of a Yamaha PSR-3000. A combination that could last for many years in my opinion.
Having programmed very extensively on this board over the last few years I disagree with Ricok's remarks about the styles, but obviously that is a matter of taste. Should you decide to purchase one, just drop me a line and I will be glad to provide with you all sorts of new software.
regards,
john smies
(Holland)

John,
Does PA50 have after touch, I need that to bend note up or down, I know they have joystick, and how is it different than PA80 in term of style? Thanks!

Tye

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#160812 - 08/06/05 12:05 PM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Sorry Pale, but the PA-50 does not sport the aftertouch function. In fact the biggest difference with the (much more expensive PA-80 model). Style-wise these two arranger boardd are 100% identical !!!
Of course you can always use the joystick to bend notes and ,in a limited way , I suppose you can also assign pitchbend to the third slider which is assignable.
(the other two sliders are for overall volume and for volume main/accom.

#160813 - 08/06/05 12:38 PM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
Dnj Offline

Although my PA80 & Pa60 sounded quite nice the overall navagation was a nightmare on stage in a real time live setting ....
too many moves for my style of playing......had to sell them quick & move on....
The 2k,3k & Tyros so much easier for the live OMB IMO. In a studio setting it might be a different story.

#160814 - 08/06/05 05:29 PM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:
Sorry Pale, but the PA-50 does not sport the aftertouch function. In fact the biggest difference with the (much more expensive PA-80 model). Style-wise these two arranger boardd are 100% identical !!!
Of course you can always use the joystick to bend notes and ,in a limited way , I suppose you can also assign pitchbend to the third slider which is assignable.
(the other two sliders are for overall volume and for volume main/accom.

John,
Thanks for answering, that's too bad, I'm used to bend notes from after touch, since my left hand occupy with chords. Each player, I think, got used to certain way of playing, I'm too old to change.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#160815 - 08/07/05 04:42 AM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I believe today, the PA 50 is the best bang for the buck. I mix and match sounds and styles with my KN7000.

Sound wise, the Tenor (sax) Noise, Club guitar, Jazz guitar, Harmonica, Wha trumpet and Organ sounds are outstanding! (IMHO)
Some of the styles may have to be tammed down as some parts are either too loud or too busy, or out of ballance. Once this is done, the registrations can be saved into a performance and/or STS and regitrations/voices can be changed on the fly.
I'm still learning the ins and outs of the OS. Trying to figure out how to program the organ rotor simulator to the wheel.

Mark

#160816 - 08/10/05 07:25 AM Re: Your opinion of Korg PA50
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
Sounds and Styles are what really matter to me, and the Pa80, Pa60 and Pa50 all share the exact same sound engine - less the digital drawbars. THe interface is also identical - the differences seem to be how many and what options you can tack on, the input processing, and the country of origin.

In that sense, I find the Pa50 to be an outstanding instrument, providing pa80 perfromance for a lot less coin.

Oh, yeah and i waaaay prefer it over the PSR3000.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online