SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#140826 - 05/18/05 01:43 PM My equiptment
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
These are my thoughts on keyboards. I have had several Yamaha,Hammond and Roland keyboards but the setup I have now is by far my favorite.

I use a Yamaha PSR3000 and a Ketron Midjay. The 3K make a great controller and effects generator. The Midjay plays midi, wave, mp3 and patterns (styles) it also has a usb connections and a hard drive for ease of file transfer from one media to the other. Another feature of the Midjay it allows me to attach text files to the Patterns and name the Pattern the same as the song and place them restoration memory in folders such as set 1, set 2, ect.

One problem I have had over the years was dead space between songs. Gary helped a great deal with his gig disk but invariably someone would request a song I was not prepared for or couldn’t remember the words. With the text feature on the Midjay words are no longer a problem as long as I have my reading glasses.

The overall combination of instrument sounds and drum quality on the ketron equipment is second to none, but the PSR3000 adds a dimension to the Ketron I love and could not make it without either one.

I know most of you like the laptop but the size and shape of the Midjay works better for me.

Hank

#140827 - 05/18/05 01:53 PM Re: My equiptment
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For me, the combination of the gig disks, 3000s MFD and registrations, plus midi and MP3 files in the laptop, provides lots of great options, all of which are accessible instantly at your fingertips. A lot of this, of course, must be mapped out before you go out on the job. But with all these features available, you have the ability to deviate from any playlist, respond to both requests, and make changes based upon audience response.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140828 - 05/18/05 02:07 PM Re: My equiptment
HankB Offline

Gary you know you have more patience than I do. The preparation it takes for what you do is far above my ability or my expertise.

(Who do you think I am Don Mason).

Hank

#140829 - 05/18/05 02:10 PM Re: My equiptment
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Hank,
Which equipment that you use the style accompaniement from, can Keytron midijay play style as well, what exactly is a gig disk?

Tye

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#140830 - 05/18/05 02:24 PM Re: My equiptment
HankB Offline

Tye I did not completely understand your question but here goes. I use both the Midjay Patterns and style files on the PSR3000 but as separate units. I can set up the PSR3000 when the Midjay is playing and viceversa. I use the RSR3000 as my controller for the Midjay. As far as gig disk Gary can explain this much better than I can. Gary can also spell equipment.

[This message has been edited by HankB (edited 05-18-2005).]

#140831 - 05/18/05 05:28 PM Re: My equiptment
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gig disks are essentially nothing more than 3rd party style files that have been renamed with appropriate song titles that fit that particular style. You'll find the ones I put together and those of several other folks at PSR Tutorial.com

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140832 - 05/18/05 07:17 PM Re: My equiptment
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
But with all these features , you have the ability to deviate from any playlist,....."

What is a playlist?

Seriously, that is what I like about the Yammie OS. I hardly ever think more than one song ahead. I am constantly assessing the audience/dancers and often don't decide on the next song until the last verse of the present one.

Eddie

#140833 - 05/18/05 10:52 PM Re: My equiptment
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've heard HankB and his new Yamaha/Ketron setup. Sounds absolutely super. Almost as good as the SD1 by itself.
Seriously, it's a great combo.
DonM

#140834 - 05/20/05 06:41 AM Re: My equiptment
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Hank

I use a similar setup to you. I use a Tyros with an XD9 module for the "best of both worlds".

I love the text feature which can be linked to registrations or just loaded when required and wish other manufacturers did this rather than just show the lyrics of kareoke files (which I don't personally use).

I am too lazy and now too old to remember the words to all the songs I ever learned and people are lucky now to get the words to more than the first verse and chorus unless I take along the Ketron. (LOL)

Regards - Keith

#140835 - 05/20/05 11:03 AM Re: My equiptment
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Hank & Gary,

Gentlemem,

Thanks for your explanation

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online