SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169909 - 05/02/05 07:41 AM Foot switch uses
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What have you found to be your most useful use of a footswitch?

Vocal harmony on/off for me. I guess either Layer or Left Hand Voice might be next.

It would be cool if you could use foot switches to trigger a LOT of things on/off on an arranger.

#169910 - 05/02/05 07:56 AM Re: Foot switch uses
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I use footswitch Pedal 1 for master volume.
footswitch 2 for fill +
footswitch 3 for one touch setting +
This is on the PSR 9000
Bebop

#169911 - 05/02/05 08:23 AM Re: Foot switch uses
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
On the Ketron SD1, I have a sustain pedal, a volume pedal and a 6-button switch. The buttons can be assigned to almost anything. I have them currently assigned to:
Vocal Harmony on-off
Break
Fill 1
Fill 2
Fill 3
Quick Ending

#169912 - 05/02/05 08:28 AM Re: Foot switch uses
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
On my psr 2000 I use both foot switches for differing the sound of any style. One switch is for break and the other is for fill to self. I use these both to alter the drums a lot while using arranger styles. It seems to me to be the best way to make the styles sound the least repetitive. Well and variation of course too, but that is one I change not quite as often and can use the panel button. I also have a registration that changes my foot switch settings only, like for organ sounds I use the dsp/dsp variation a lot via footswitch.

------------------
The old Newb

[This message has been edited by OldNewb (edited 05-02-2005).]

#169913 - 05/02/05 09:24 AM Re: Foot switch uses
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For live performance,these are the essential 4 footswitch triggered arranger keyboard functions that I require:

1) Damper Sustain
2) Vocal Harmony on/off
3) Fill to self
4) Reg Mem. Advance +

SemiLive: I previously used a Yamaha MFC10 pedal unit:

which has a dizziying number of programable footpedals to assign just about any keyboard function (supported via midi) to footpedal control. Not only was it difficult to operate onstage trying to remember what each of it's many banks & associated pedals was programmed for, but cumbersomely heavy to drag around as well.

The Tyros has only three 1/4" footpedal outputs, but fortunately, with the addition of the small lightweight 'midi footswitch'controller box from Midi Solutions:

http://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

I'm able to trigger four (and all I really need) via an FC2 Technote brand 4 pedal footpedal controler unit:

which I custom hardware configured to work on the Tyros.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-02-2005).]

#169914 - 05/02/05 09:40 AM Re: Foot switch uses
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Hey that's cool Scott. Four should be enough to vary the sound. I wonder if that would work with a psr2000.

I need to look at yours, Don, sometime. It's interesting what the future will allow you to do.

#169915 - 05/02/05 09:46 AM Re: Foot switch uses
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Semilive: If you're refering to the MidiSolutions "FootSwitch Controler", yes it will work on the PSR2000 too. I believe that the PSR2000 only includes 2 onboard footpedal outputs, so if you want to trigger 4 total footpedal functions, you'll need to purchase TWO midi "FootSwitch Controler Boxes" from MidiSolutions.

SemiLive: Exactly what FOUR functions are you wanting to trigger via footpedal?

You'll need to verify via your PSR2000 Data List manual that these specific functions are supported via midi on your keyboard.

Scott

#169916 - 05/02/05 10:06 AM Re: Foot switch uses
to the genesys Offline

For live performances I use.
1. Damper Sustain
2. Start stop
3. Fill to self

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 05-02-2005).]

#169917 - 05/02/05 10:58 AM Re: Foot switch uses
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Bill..
Keep in mind you can assign different foot switch functions for EACH registration. In a piano reg you might want one pedal for sustain and another for fill to self.

But, switch to guitar and you might want to assign what was the sustain pedal to Glide for a country or blues number.

As far as triggering Vocal Harmonies, on the 2000 I found the easiest way was just to use the VH button on the board.

Eddie

#169918 - 05/02/05 11:23 AM Re: Foot switch uses
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Scott, I'd use it like you do except I don't know if I need one assigned for Sustain.

The Midi Solutions controller is $129. I don't know how much your four button foot pedal is.

Maybe I could get three to work with one Midi Solutions controller and then a dual footpedal along with my single footpedal.

Maybe I should just get another foot switch and work with two pedals awhile and see how that goes. I'd say top two for me would be Vocal Harmony and either Auto Fill-In or the Variations (Fills), A-B-C-D.

For the A-B-C-D, does it just advance from A to B and then to C or can you go back and forth between, say, A and C?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online