SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#171769 - 04/15/05 05:28 AM Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
Captain Proton Offline

I was thinking the other day.. wouldn't it be nice to replace the disk drives in the old PSR and Clavinova models with something like a smart card reader. It would speed up disk access a lot, I always find myself waiting for my song to load or registrations to save etc.

I know that the disk drive is just a regular "pc" disk drive, so in terms of hardware it can easily be replaced with a 3.5" card reader. What I don't know is if the Clavinova would support it software-wise. If a smartcardreader needs special drivers, this wouldn't work of course.

Any ideas?

#171770 - 04/15/05 05:33 AM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just like the USB thumb driver, which has a built-in driver, I would think you would need the proper driver in order to make it work. It's possible that the floppy's driver, which is in the keyboard, may recognize the card reader. If so, you're home free (so to speak)!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#171771 - 04/15/05 05:45 AM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have no idea but it's certainly the one thing that I have wondered about that would be an awesome tweak for older psr's. If anyone figures it out, I'd sure like to know.

#171772 - 04/15/05 05:45 AM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I tried to use a card reader via floppy drive with a PSR2100...it doesn't work..there is no way to install the driver needed to read this device....it works great in a PC, but not a keyboard..

#171773 - 04/15/05 09:44 AM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
Captain Proton Offline

Have you tried one of those 5-in-1 readers or just a '1' reader?

I could imagine that a 5-in-1 will not work because it represents multiple drives

#171774 - 04/15/05 02:06 PM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
We've been here before. Not an option.

The smartmedia floppy disc adapters need a special driver that only words on a PC.

The only way to use a memory card instead of the floppy is to use a special interface card with a controller, from Eastern Eruope somewhere, the name of which totally escapes me, which made a solid state memory card appear to the psr as a set of floppy discs.

#171775 - 04/15/05 02:26 PM Re: Replace PSR floppy drive with card reader
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Last time it was me who brought this up, it was no good.
At that time, searching around in the net, I found that a company had made a device able to do such a thing, years ago. I think they were Lionstracs.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online