SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191288 - 04/06/05 08:06 PM Hardware vs. Software sequencers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Frist off YES! I did buy a keyboard, and no it is NOT a Triton LE or a KARMA or a Minimoog, I got a Roland Juno-D form DanO1 at Keyboard City (plug). would have preferd one of the others, but I am not here to mence words. I have a real question.

Dan had suggested that I get a samll portable 4 track recorder instead of a software based one.

I just want to know why this would better then a software based sequencer? Any thoughts?

#191289 - 04/06/05 08:34 PM Re: Hardware vs. Software sequencers?
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Cool you got a board...the Juno-D isnt all that bad at all no matter what those "its not a juno 106 from the 80s" guys will scream at ya. Had to say it, cause that will be the bias and stupidity that flows your way.

Anyhow as for a recorder, if your just tracking yourself and stacking tracks...you might like...
http://www.tascam.com/Products/dp01fx.html

#191290 - 04/06/05 08:40 PM Re: Hardware vs. Software sequencers?
Vquestor Offline

So you're really looking for an
audio recorder, and not MIDI sequencer?

#191291 - 04/07/05 03:00 AM Re: Hardware vs. Software sequencers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm not really sure? See the thing is, is that I don't really know how to put tracks together. I just want to hear what it is I am playing. Since it's mostly expeimentaion. Nothing realy spectacular.

What is a Sequencer anyways?

Actually I really did not want the Juno-D not because of the sound but because it's a performance synth. Did I mention i have been through eleven in the past?

#191292 - 04/07/05 03:33 PM Re: Hardware vs. Software sequencers?
Vquestor Offline

Paul,
I suggest you use Google to educate yourself
properly, but here is my quick and dirty
summary:
An audio recorder will record audio(usually in
wav format). Think of it as a digital tape
recorder. You connect the audio outputs of
your keyboard into it and record away.
A sequencer uses MIDI and usually uses MIDI cables,(although USB is also becoming more common). Think of it as a digital player
piano roll. It actually plays the notes
of the synth it is connected to.
If you think you want both audio and MIDI, the best way to go is software, and I would
highly recommend Cakewalk Home Studio.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online