SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172788 - 03/31/05 07:39 PM learning note reading
fathan Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Taking advices from you guys in this forum, I bought PSR-3000 2 months ago. I love it more and more everyday. I used to be a singer with a local rock band.But now I am running my own printing company.I love singing very much and now I want to be able to play the keyboard. I am 41 yrs now and I just started learning to read notation, Do you guys think it's too late? What is the best method of learning how to read music notation? What books/references should I get?

Fathi Bawazier

#172789 - 03/31/05 08:20 PM Re: learning note reading
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fathi,

I never had the necessary skills to read music, however, I managed to learn most of the chords I needed to play. The best advice I have for learing is to go to http://psrtutorial.com/Resources/R_ChordSecrets/w00_intro.html which is on the PSR Tutorial site. It has been a big help to me and many other.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#172790 - 03/31/05 11:54 PM Re: learning note reading
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
fathan. I can only play when reading from sheet music. I now get so much pleasure from reading the notes. I started to learn to read music well after your 41 years, so it's never too late. Just sick with it and you will find your reading improves weekly. Start with a favourite tune that you like to play and just keep playing it over & over, then progress from there.

#172791 - 04/01/05 04:03 AM Re: learning note reading
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The person who enters a library and can not read has no way to enjoy all that is offered.
And so it is with music.

The person who only reads music has limited himself.

As Chet Atkins the famous country guitar player said when they asked him if he could read music, "Not enough to hurt my playing".

AS for learning to read music -- there's a myth about the difficulties of learning to read music -- if you go slowly it is easy. Stay with the simple forms of music --the big note type. It is very logical. there have been many writtings relating music to mathematices.

Consider that we teach 4 and 5 year old children to read music. I taught two of my friends to read music and play the keyboard -- ages 78 and 82. Hmmmmm!

Go to it, a world of joy awaits you, John C.

#172792 - 04/01/05 05:12 AM Re: learning note reading
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
i would start with the fake books,the chord is printed above the staff for the left hand, and the melody notes with the right are on the staff also above and below,i would start off with the music in the key of C and as you become used to it go onto music in the key of F and G then Bb and D that way you will be keeping most of the notes played in the staff,and just above and just below the staff,that way you will find that you will progress quite quickly,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 04-01-2005).]

#172793 - 04/01/05 06:37 AM Re: learning note reading
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I learned to play by ear. I'm glad I learned this way too, because it allows me to improvise or even just play along without the need for sheet music.

I also realized at some point that learning to read would enhance my abilities and give me a better foundation for understanding theory, so I learned.....

It's pretty cool too because now I can actually identify and put a label on some of the stuff I was playing before I learned.... but I also strongly subscribe to Chet Atkins' theory....

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-01-2005).]

#172794 - 04/01/05 08:16 AM Re: learning note reading
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
It is definitely not to late. I learned how to play the organ in my early twenties for 2 1/2 years then just stopped playing. Picked it up agin at 54. Interest, attitude and talent is more important then age.
I learned to read music, but still very weak in reading bass clef. I accidentally taught myself to play by ear. I wanted to learn to play songs I heard at my church, but could only find the words and chords on the web. So tried to play by ear, now this is the only way I play. I only need the chords in front of me to play the songs I now. I find that I play better without the music then with it.
I sometimes place the leading notes as a superscript above the chords, then I now what the starting notes are, and then I'm playing. Now I need to accidentally teach myself to play chords by ear.
Scott "the Piano Guy" Houston says that people can play the piano, what they have problems with is transcribing the notes from music sheets. Once you know what notes to play, playing the keybaord is easy. Trying to figure out what the notes on the sheet music represent is a challenge.
I would also recommend what Gary suggested: to learn chords. Just learn the chords you need to play the song you want to play. Use an inversion with the least amount of hand/finger movement. Use full fingered mode. I can play most songs without ever looking at my left hand.
Starkeeper

#172795 - 04/01/05 10:13 AM Re: learning note reading
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Both the ability to 'play by ear' & music sight reading (from sheet music) are equally important skills for becoming a better musician. If you can only play by ear I encourage you to start learning to read music (at least a lead sheet/chord chart). This is essential, especially if you desire to play good musicians, and it helps insure everyone is on the same page, In addition, the ability to sight read music INCREASES your ability to pick up & learn a LOT more songs & expand your repetoire musch faster than playing by ear alone offers.

On the other hand, if you're only able to play with written out music in front of you, this too has serious drawbacks. I've found that some keyboard players who can 'only play' this way tend to sound stiff, because instead of LISTENING to what they're playing, they rely on the playing the dots on the paper, like a word processing typist does, and lack musical 'expression'. Dots (notes) on the printed page are only a written out approximation of what the song really sounds like because artistic phrasing & nuances of a melody (expression) cannot be captured from dots & music notation alone.

In conclusion, I feel that being able to play BOTH by ear & from written out notation essential skills. For my playing, I utilize BOTH skills together when playing. If you're weaker in one skill than another, spend the extra time to improve the weaker of the two.

Scott

#172796 - 04/01/05 11:11 AM Re: learning note reading
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree with Scott...when I learn a new tune, I go over it once or twice and write the lead line, changes and words out on a reference card. I try to destroy the card in a week, because, if I don't force myself to play by ear, that card will be yellow and falling apart years later...I'll alway rely on it and never really "learn" it.

At the same time, preparing for studio sessions or playing requests I don't know is much easier with the sheet in front of me.

Both are important!

Russ

#172797 - 04/01/05 04:50 PM Re: learning note reading
fathan Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Having tips, advices and words of encouragement from all of you guys, make me feel that I can can learn just about anything about music, because I know I have friends who stand always behind me. Thanks a million.
Garry, I visited the site you receommended, and now I know about 300 chords, it amazing how easy to learn when you know the shortcuts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online