SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136705 - 03/10/05 09:59 PM Some Cool Features on the G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I was playing with the G70 today at my store and came upon two features I like alot.
First, I can be playing a standard midi file, find the style I want to play next with the auto accomp. on, push syncro start, choose an intro and a variation, and as soon as I hit a chord on the keyboard the midi file stops and the style begins. Then, if I want to go back to the midi file, just push the song play button and the song begans exactly where it stopped when I pushed the keys down. This could be a great feature when playing parties and things need to change really fast.

The next feature I love is after I record just using the record button and playing a style with my left hand and a melody with my right, I then entered the 16 track sequencer mode by pushing the button by this name and now I see a multi color by track view of everything recorded. With this visual view I can now see where I have not recorded anything because it has a blank area and I can simply select a blank track by pushing on that track, hit record and begin recording additonal tracks. While recording, you see the tracks scroll in the screen making it very clear to know right where you are in the song. This scrolling screen is like looking at a Roland Digital 24 track recorders track scroll screen.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#136706 - 03/11/05 07:35 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I was playing with the G70 today at my store and came upon two features I like alot.
First, I can be playing a standard midi file, find the style I want to play next with the auto accomp. on, push syncro start, choose an intro and a variation, and as soon as I hit a chord on the keyboard the midi file stops and the style begins. Then, if I want to go back to the midi file, just push the song play button and the song begans exactly where it stopped when I pushed the keys down. This could be a great feature when playing parties and things need to change really fast.

That is a nice find George.

BTW- To do a similar thing on the Genesys, simply store an accompaniment set-up to one of the 1024 Memory locations, and then while a MIDI file (or an MP3, Wave file, GEM song) is playing, select the Memory, play a left hand chord and the song playback stops and the style starts instantaneously. The only difference is you can't go directly back to the original song and have it pick up from where you left off. I don't see a big reason why this is necessary anyway, although I am sure someone will use this feature.

Quote:
The next feature I love is after I record just using the record button and playing a style with my left hand and a melody with my right, I then entered the 16 track sequencer mode by pushing the button by this name and now I see a multi color by track view of everything recorded. With this visual view I can now see where I have not recorded anything because it has a blank area and I can simply select a blank track by pushing on that track, hit record and begin recording additonal tracks. While recording, you see the tracks scroll in the screen making it very clear to know right where you are in the song. This scrolling screen is like looking at a Roland Digital 24 track recorders track scroll screen.

Hmmm, that is cool! Then again, GEM keyboards have done this very thing for years. SX series, WK series, SK series, PS series, and the Genesys series.

You know, I find it really funny how so many members of these forums go on and on about some new cool feature that they discovered, or that they would like to see implemented in their particular brand, when the Genesys and past GEM keyboards have had many of these features for a long time.

I am not trying to take anything away from the other brands; they are all pretty cool actually. It just surprises me that the pro members aren't interested in discovering new sounds, styles and features that would set them apart from other single acts and give them some real uniqueness in what they offer their clients. I guess that is what the G70 brings to the table. I only wish I knew how to get folks excited about a company that is a REAL innovator in digital keyboard technology.

Best Regards,

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 03-11-2005).]

#136707 - 03/11/05 07:47 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
BlkNotes Offline

" It just surprises me that the pro members aren't interested in discovering new sounds, styles and features that would set them apart from other single acts and give them some real uniqueness in what they offer their clients"

Dear WDMcM;

I am!! I think that a KB has to excel at the basics first before it moves onto other issues such as features. The KB has to sound realistic/authentic along with a lrage variety of excellent styles, or else it is mot worht it. the audience won't hear the 200 other features that the KB has. they only hear the sound.

Thanks;
Regards;
BN

#136708 - 03/11/05 08:00 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dave,
What I was refering to with the record feature is the view I am seing in the color display, not the actual way I'm recording. It's the visual thing I totaly appreciated on the G70. As you know, I sell most brands of keyboards in my store, including GEM products. I get excited with new keyboards when I find features which aid the player in making music, songs or styles easier and more intuitive. The G70's color screen and design features brings this to users in a very user friendly manner and this is what I was commenting about. All the type of the line arrangers have their strengths that differ from the competition and over the past 6 or 7 years of my posting here as a music store owner, I have always given my newest received products as much posting here as I think will interest the readers. The comments I receive from the readers is that they enjoy my reporting on as much as possible when they themselves might not be able to see or touch one of these new models because of limited availability. I am not saying that the product I'm reviewing is the best or only choice but rather giving my view on the latest choice. I know I get excited when I really like what I'm playing with, but this is my personality and I think the readers will agree here that I am consistant!
I do understand your perspective that more than one product overs similar features but my intention here was not to do a comparison but rather a review of a newly received product.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#136709 - 03/11/05 08:05 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear WDMcM;

I am!! I think that a KB has to excel at the basics first before it moves onto other issues such as features. The KB has to sound realistic/authentic along with a lrage variety of excellent styles, or else it is mot worht it. the audience won't hear the 200 other features that the KB has. they only hear the sound.

Thanks;
Regards;
BN

Hi BN,

I definitely agree with you that the sounds must come first. That is part of the point I was making. Most all of the brands out there sound good. Sure each has there own strengths and weaknesses, but they are all useable.

As for sounds, an advantage of the Genesys is in its true programmable synth capabilities that far exceed what other arranger instruments offer. If you can't find the sound you are looking for in the existing presets, the ability exists to create entirely new sounds that have nothing to do with the original sounds.

Most of the time however, using the Quick Edit Sound mode suffices to make easy edits to existing sounds so they are more to your liking. I.E. mellow out or brighten a piano sound, increase or decrease the key release time, etc.

Once an edit has been made, there are several different ways to store and recall the new sounds/set-ups to make the instrument comfortable to use and play for most anyone.

BTW- I hope you realize I wasn't trying to cut down anyone here in my comments about the pros on the forums. Just making an observation and pointing out that it might be worth checking out a product that can set you apart from the crowd.

As for the other features, they are very important. The more variety you can offer your clients, the more special you become to them. Features=Variety. This of course is not to say that talent doesn't enter into the equation.

Best Regards,

Dave

#136710 - 03/11/05 08:10 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
my intention here was not to do a comparison but rather a review of a newly received product.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Hi George,

I realize that and wasn't trying to start anything up. Sorry mucking up your thread. I enjoy reading your reviews and comparisons.

Regards,

Dave

#136711 - 03/11/05 08:33 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"I only wish I knew how to get folks excited about a company that is a REAL innovator in digital keyboard technology."

Dave,
It's very helpful that you monitor these forums and are available to help. You even offered to send me one with return option.
As we have discussed before, find a way to let people see and try them. Arrangers are a niche product in the U.S. A lot of dealers can't stock several brands. Most don't stock ANY brands. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know.
There probably aren't more than a handful of potential sales in my area for top-end arrangers. Now there aren't ANY arrangers in town other than a PA50 at Shreve Audio, a few Cascio WK3500s and the really small Yamahas at Circuit City. Not even a PSR3000!
Maybe you could have some regional clinics or demonstrations. Maybe post a list of who DOES stock them. I know I would drive a couple hours to see one, but I'm an exception. If the GEM is as great as the specs say, it should sell itself, BUT you have to have access to it.
My search for the ultimate arranger continues! Must have great sound, great features and not TOO heavy. The way each of us uses an arranger is almost as varied as the number of users. What is important to me may not be a consideration for others, and vice-versa. For example, I don't really even care if it has a song sequencer, but I would like to have an easy way to create styles.
The SD1 has great sound and isn't too heavy. Any future arranger I buy will have to measure up to the drums and bass sounds of the SD1. It's pretty dated in some of the features and OS, but I'm finding that I'm glad I sacrificed the ease of use of the Tyros and have endured the learning curve of the SD1.
The G70 won't be available here either, but maybe it will be in Dallas.
It would be worthwhile to take a trip and play it and the GEM in one day.
Again, I appreciate your participation. I'm only trying to be helpful.
DonM

#136712 - 03/11/05 09:03 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Can't find the orignal poster and his famous quote, went like this, "no see, no try, no buy". Many on the zone (including me) feel the same way. I will not buy any keyboard I have not demoed.
Starkeeper

#136713 - 03/11/05 09:15 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I agree with Don, I've never seen a Gem, and never heard of anybody that plays one, I did find them on the internet a few years ago and was interested sounded like a great board. I sent away for some info and the name of a local dealer, never got it.
Roland sends out video demos, Yamaha has alot of great groups and forums and creates alot of buzz.
I wonder how many guys started on a 3 or 4 hundred dollar yammie then went to psr 2000 then 3000 or whatever. I grew with the Yamaha brand. Roland wasn't accessable to a beginner, not just price but couldn't find one.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#136714 - 03/11/05 11:40 AM Re: Some Cool Features on the G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As far as I know, I've bought every brand at one time or another except GEM. I did have an opportunity to try one of the older models back when Peavey was marketing them, but the ones they had were too big and heavy for my taste. Peavey didn't have the lighter ones. I recall it had a great sequencer in it, and seemed to be built with great quality. I also had very useable styles.
I'm sorry we intruded on your thread, George, but I guess it's all relevant.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 03-11-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online