SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114280 - 12/24/04 11:39 AM Help! set/up Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Got a new Logitech Z-5500 for Christmas, Read the manual copied Gary's instructions, tried everything I can think of, but can only get sub and 2 sat speakers to work.

Connected to psr9000... used splitter 1/8 stereo (plugged into controller-[musical note]) to 2--1/4 phone into mains on board, no matter what I do the best I can get is 2 sats and the sub. I've made several attempts at changing the cables I used a 1/4 stereo to 1/8 mini stereo at the keyboard to 1/8 mini at the sub.( same results 2 sats and the sub) I've moved the sats plugs around on the rear of the sub, justs gives diferent 2 speakers. I've tried every combination of the controls on the controller only thing that works is stereo 1 and x2. moved the switch on back of controller with no more results.

Two sattelites are not enough to carry the volume that I need even here in the studio,a small room about 14' x 24'

The system seems to work okay including the remote, only thing I can see wrong is the grate and ring around the grate buzzes when a low A note is played. Should be able to fix this with no problem, but the hook up has got me stumped. Looks like the only way to make this work is to make a splitter on each satt stand, so both speakers can plug in and run together on each side of stereo
Anybody got any Ideas?? Love to hear them.

MERRY CHRISTMAS..............POSE

#114281 - 12/24/04 03:33 PM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like you have not thrown the switch on the back of the remote receiver. The switch should be set at the up position (6-ch direct). Next, using the remote set the effect to "Pro Logic II Music". Finally, turn all the speaker volumes up to max, except the sub, which I keep at about 35 percent of max.

Now, using the remove volume control, crank up the master volume, and when it reaches max, continue to hold the button down and you will go into the higher volume levels, which are sufficient to blow the windows out of your home. That should solve your problem.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114282 - 12/25/04 06:17 PM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[B]Sounds like you have not thrown the switch on the back of the remote receiver. The switch should be set at the up position (6-ch direct). Next, using the remote set the effect to "Pro Logic II Music". Finally, turn all the speaker volumes up to max, except the sub, which I keep at about 35 percent of max.

Gary thanks for answering I know you're really busy. I did everything you listed above, on the first set up, went back several times checking and rechecking and even changed out the splitter to the remote control. Tried several other ways of plugging also, the best I can get out of this, is 2 satts and the sub working, the satts are-- L front and L rear. after much thinking and rereading the manual, it sort of looks like I'm not getting a stereo out of the keyboard only mono. but plugging back into my 2 behringer k1200 keyb amps they get left and right input. I then tried going into the stereo plugs on the back of the remote and got the same results as plugging into the musical note on the side.

I tried going to different settings on the controller, other than 6 channel direct, some would not work at all, several ways to hook this up but no matter what I've tried still can only get 2 speakers to work.

I used 3 rca splitters and connected the 2 left stand speakers on one output (Yellow)that was working, and connected 2 speakers plus the center spker to the other output (white) that was working. This let me know that There's no volume problem, with all speakers working main vol runs about 70 percent with keyboard set at 70 percent and fc7 vol pedal about half way down, sub gets a nice balance with three squares highlighted. The sound is very good, better than the k1200 for hearing some things more clearly. although I'll have to go thru all registrations and do a little adjusting (bass,vol,etc . This works okay now, but still I'm thinking I'm missing some of the enhancement of sound, I was expecting??
Soon as I get a chance I'll visit logitech webb site, and go thru faq's to see If I can get this hooked up like you have yours.
Maybe there's a difference between the 9000 vs 3000?
One question though if you have time, could you elaborate on the enhancement of sound with Z5500 vs kb amps,pa sys, etc:
Gary thank you very much for helping out.......Happy hollidays.....Pose

#114283 - 12/25/04 09:09 PM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Pose,

The 6-channel direct switch on the back of the remote reciever must be selected in order for this to work. If the switch is in the down position, it will not work.

Also, with all speakers hooked up, and the switch in 6-channel direct, use the remote control and run a speaker check to make sure all are functional. You should hear sounds coming from each set of speakers, plus the center and bass while the testing procedure runs.

I'm not familiar with the PSR-9000s output, but I assume it is stereo, and would be very surprized if this was not the case.

Also, try swappig the output plugs from left to right channel, and vise/versa and see if this changes anything.

Unfortunately, you're on the other side of the country from me, so I can't look over your shoulder to see what is wrong.

As for the dirrerence in sound in comparison to my other keyboard amps, the Z-5500 is extremely crisp, clear and really makes a big improvement in vocals and mid to high frequency sounds. The sub, naturally, really rocks and hit the audience with that gut-thumping bass that packs the dancefloor.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 12-26-2004).]

#114284 - 12/26/04 04:43 PM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

Gary:

Think I found the problem (the cable going from the remote to the back of the sub) If I wiggle it the sound comes in, First chance I get I'll take it apart and fix it.

I'm starting to think everything I get I have to fix, really ticks me off when almost everything you get now days is not fully assembled or has something that has to be worked on before you can use it. The speaker grill buzzing had four loose allen screws, that just needed to be tightened up.

Thanks loads for helping out, Until you're better paid.......Pose

#114285 - 12/26/04 08:25 PM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Pose,

Instead of trying to fix it yourself and possibly voiding the warranty, why not just take it back where you purchased it from and exchange it for one that works properly?

Gary

#114286 - 12/27/04 06:41 AM Re: Help! set/up Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

Gary:
Your suggestion is probably the best way, but living out in the boonie's, I find it easier to fix things most times than to package it up, haul it 40 miles round trip to ship, and pay postage both ways and run the risk of it getting damaged and have to replace it. This was a easy one to fix, already done. happy camper on this end, love the sound from the Z5500, thinking about a smaller unit now to up the sound on my computer.
Did a christmas show here in the studio sat night for about 22 friends and relatives, used the new sound system even thought it wasn't 100% sat night but wow'ed em with the sound. everyone had a good time. and agreed the sound was much better. and vocals a lot improved and clearer.. They should hear it now after I fixed it and did a bunch more tweeking......Thanks for your expert help......Pose

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online