SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137789 - 12/21/04 06:42 AM PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just logged on to www.psrtutorial.com and much of the site has been defaced by a nasty SOB using a worm that wipes out the page. Hopefully, Joe Waters will be able to restore the pages, forum and other, then track down the culprit and take legal action.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#137790 - 12/21/04 08:02 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Believe it or not there are people out there whose only objective in life is to cause havoc and they won't sleep until they've conjured up some form of mischief to do to others. Sad but true...

You never know either. Joe is so generous and such a good natured guy who spends countless hours giving of himself to help others that the people who did this could be from legitimate sources who hate the idea of some place giving away so much free stuff to anybody and everybody.

But most likely these are simply script kiddies, i.e. juveniles who have too much time on their hands that were simply creating a prank. Unfortunately Joe's site got the brunt of their dastardly deed.

Best regards,
Mike

#137791 - 12/21/04 08:59 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
I have been able to resurrect most of the site from my personal hard drive. All of the main site is back (Lessons, Performers, Styles, Music, Links). Some of the features were separate databases. I have simply deleted the GuestBook and installed a new one. Similarly for the Chat Room. I have contacted the ISP and am hopeful that we can get a backup of the Forum database from the last day or so. If so, we should be back in busienss with everything. In the meantime, I'd better get off to work (only half day late!)

[This message has been edited by Joe Waters (edited 12-21-2004).]

#137792 - 12/21/04 09:20 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What bastards!!!!

What is wrong with people in this world...

Joe if it's any consolation, my site has been targeted a few times and thankfully, my backups were up to date.

Can you tell from the server logs which IP address was the one that spread the virus? Was this spread through your guestbook?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#137793 - 12/21/04 09:40 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Gary...sooner or latter, the SCUM will rise to the top for all to see, at that time, I hope Joe nails him...some people just have too much time on thier hands and too many evil thoughts in thier small minds....

#137794 - 12/21/04 10:56 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
On the chance that somebody is interested in what appears to have happened to Joe's website, here's an article.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-12-21

-mike

#137795 - 12/21/04 11:25 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
Razorcar Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I guess I'm a litte late seeing that the http://www.psrtutorial.com/ PSR forum had a virus. I just e-maled Joe to tell him about it. That's what I get for not checking the site for a few days.

It sure is disgusting how people just cannot find something positive to do with their lives!!! We all hope Joe can solve everything and find the SOB who did this unforgettable deed.

------------------
Sincerely,

Razorcar
Play in both worlds:
KN7000 & PSR3000

Razorcar
Play in both worlds
PSR3000 & KN7000

#137796 - 12/21/04 11:31 AM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Interesting article....thanks for posting it...

#137797 - 12/21/04 01:56 PM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hello,
it's pretty hard to hear, I hope they fix it.
The style file section seems to work.
This is the good news.
The chat seems to work too.

------------------
Regards
RF

#137798 - 12/21/04 02:26 PM Re: PSR Tutorial slammed with a virus...
jnuy1010 Offline

Loc: Selangor, Malaysia
I just log in and noted the PSR Tutorial website was defaced! Hopefully Joe could restore back the original contents although it would be an exhaustive procedure to do so especially now that three days to go till Christmas Day wherein quite a number of personal activities to attend to. It is disheartening that such an occurrence happened. Anyhow it will give us a major lesson to always backup our imnportant datas preferably on a daily basis.
From Jessie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online