SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149924 - 12/04/04 01:01 PM Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I utilize a Midi Solutions brand programmable midi 'Footswitch Controller' Box:
http://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

to send both midi Control Change & SysEx message commands to my Yamaha Tyros keyboard.

Page 58-61 of the Tyros Data List manual lists the System Exclusive Messages recognized by the Yamaha Tyros. I'm able to successfully send & get my Tyros to recongize MOST of the SysEX commands listed, but unfortunately, there is one specific SysEx function listed I can't get my Tyros to recognize:

Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note On/OFF (listed on page 61)
F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 00 01 F7 (on)
F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 00 00 F7 (off)

I assume the FUNCTION of the above two SysEx strings are for turning the Tyros Vocal Harmonizer 'on' and 'off', in the same way that the dedicated on board Yamaha Assignable Foot Pedal function: "Vocal Harmony" on/off does, right?

Unfortunately, when I send the SysEx string:
F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 00 01 F7 to my Tyros from my midi Foot Pedal Controller, my Tyros ignores this SysEX message. I have confirmed that the Midi Controller Box is correctly sending this specific SysEX string out via midi by directly recording it into Cakewalk Sonar. I have also confirmed that my Tyros has Midi Receive set to ON (both SysEX: Rx ON and Chord SysEX: Rx ON), and receiving on the SAME channel as the midi channel sent on the Midi FootSwitch as well, with receiving channel part set to: 'Keyboard'. This is further confirmed because I'm able to successfully send the OTHER SysEX and midi Control Changes listed in the Data List Manual, via this midi footswitch controller to my Tyros.

Can Yamaha (Steve Deming?) or someone else here please CONFIRM what the SysEX command is for turning the Tyros Vocal Harmonizer 'on and 'off' is? Is this a misprint in the manual or am I simply missing something.

Help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be able to trigger the Tyros vocal harmonizer on/off setting via my remote midi footswitch pedal controller unit as the 3 Tyros dedicated assignable foot pedals have ALREADY been allocated for other functions.

Thanks, from a 4 'foot pedal' arranger player,

Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-04-2004).]

#149925 - 12/05/04 04:28 AM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Beakybird Offline

I can't believe I missed that sysex command in the manual! When I owned the midi solutions footswitch that I sold you, Scott, I was looking for the words Vocal Harmony not "voice harmony to pitch."

Scott, the PSR3000 has the same sysex command. When I send the message to the PSR3000 via Sonar, nothing happens - at least on the display. Maybe the vocal harmony turns on/off without it showing in the display.

Good luck!

Beakybird

#149926 - 12/05/04 10:21 AM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Maybe the vocal harmony turns on/off without it showing in the display.

Hi Larry, I tested this out and can confirm that the :

'Vocal Harmony Pitch To Note ON' command given:
F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 00 01 F7

not only doesn't 'turn on' the vocalizer status light, but does NOT turn ON the vocal harmonizer at all either. I suspect the abaove SysEx string given to be a typo, or that I'm simply confused about the actual function of: 'Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note On/Off' .

In addition to 'Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note On/Off', I also noticed 2 other SysEx commands on Page 61 (Tyros Data List Manual) related to the Vocal Harmonizer:

1. Vocal Harmony Pitch To Note Part:

F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 01 dd F7
dd=00 Right1
dd=01 Right 2
dd=02 Left
dd=03 Right 3
dd=04 Upper

and

2. Vocal Harmony Vocoder Part (Harmony Part/Panel):

F0 43 73 01 11 00 50 10 dd F7
dd=00 Off
dd=01 Upper
dd=02 Lower

I wonder if one of these SysEx commands are also required to be sent in conjunction with the on/off SysEx string to get the Vocal Harmonizer on/off feature to work.

Perhaps Steve Deming (Yamaha USA Customer Support) might offer some insight on exactly how to turn on/off the vocal harmonizer via remote SysEx? Steve?

Thanks.

Scott

#149927 - 12/05/04 02:33 PM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

With MANY MANY thanks to Michael Bedesem for figuring this out, here is the ACTUAL SysEx string to use to turn Yamaha arranger buit in Vocal Harmonizer's both 'ON' and 'OFF' from a remote midi unit like the Midi Solutions brand: "Footswitch Controller:

F0 43 10 4C 04 00 0C 7F F7 (on)
F0 43 10 4C 04 00 0C 40 F7 (off)

I've programmed my Midi Solutions Footswitch with the above SysEX messages and now it allows me to turn on/off (toggle) my Tyros Vocal Harmonizer feature (including green indicator light).

I'm now curious to find out (from Steve Deming) exactly what the Vocal Harmonizer SysEx strings listed on page 61 of the Tyros Data List Manual were intended for. Did Yamaha print the SysEx command for "Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note ON/OFF in error, or is that feature intended for something else?

All I can say is that I don't know what I would have done without you guys helping me out. I only hope whatever information I've shared here on the forum is half as valuable to you guys, as all the information you guys have so generously shared with me. This is TRULY a special forum of not only intelligent, but wonderfully generous people as well. In addition to thanking Michael Bedesem for his help in solving this issue, I also want to thank again Mike Sutliff & Mike (keybplayer) for helping to solve the problem I had with my CD-ROM media recognition as well. You guys are the Greatest!

Scott

#149928 - 12/07/04 07:02 AM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Scott - Surely the "Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note On/OFF" selects/de-selects the VH harmony option that allows you to sing a note and have the Tyros track this and play the selected instrument voice (one of the options on the last couple of VH pages)? Difficult to use but great for bending notes in sax and guitar solos.

KF

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 12-07-2004).]

#149929 - 12/07/04 08:22 AM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
Scott - Surely the "Vocal Harmony Pitch to Note On/OFF" selects/de-selects the VH harmony option that allows you to sing a note and have the Tyros track this and play the selected instrument voice (one of the options on the last couple of VH pages).

KFingers: Ahhhhhhh!
Thanks for waking me up to the fact that those Vocal Harmony SysEx functions listed on page 61 of the Tyros Data List manual have NOTHING to do with turning the 'general' Vocal Harmony feature 'on/off' at all, but control ANOTHER entirely different type of vocal feature altogether: 'pitch to note', of which I've never tried out or explored (yet). In fact, as far as I can tell, I believe 'Pitch to Note' can ONLY be activated via remote SysEx, as I can't seem to find ANYTHING covered in the Tyros Owner's manual on it.

I assume to get this feature to work via SysEx, it requires sending, not just one, but TWO SysEx commands: the first to turn the function on, and the second to assign the keyboard part's Instrument Voice: RIGHT1, Right2, Left, or Right3, used to playback what you are singing into the mic.

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:

Difficult to use but great for bending notes in sax and guitar solos.

Wow, a whole NEW concept indeed. Kfingers, have you actually used this feature on the Tyros? Singing into the mic (rather than playing in) sax, guitar, and instrumental solos is definitely a new concept (to me) that I 'm really anxious to explore now, but I'm afraid it's going to have to wait until AFTER the holidays to try this out as I'm booked SOLID until then. I'm anxious to hear if anyone here has actually tried out this 'pitch to note' sysEX feature on their Tyros. Unless this feature can be accessed directly from the Tyros itself, I'd like to be able to trigger it with my midi foot controller pedal, but since it only supports sending 'one' SysEx message on depression, I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to work that way.

Scott

#149930 - 12/07/04 01:12 PM Re: Sending SysEX from remote Midi Footpedal to Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Good News! I just received word from Steve Deming that the Tyros "Pitch to Note" Vocal feature is not only available via remote SysEx, but accessible directly on the Tyros as well. It's included as one of the Vocal Harmonizer Parameter settings and covered on pagea 130 & 131 of the Tyros Owner's Manual. I assume this feature is also included on the PSR3000 as well. - Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online