SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#131333 - 11/16/04 09:52 AM Roland verses Yamaha
JustAl Offline

Loc: Benicia, CA, USA
I'm an arranger composer who wirtes and plays newage, classical and an assortment of other stuff used in film production. I'm looking to upgrade and get an instrument that will inspire new music. I just started looking on line at the Roland Fantom, VA-76 and the Yamaha Motif and Tyros. Anyone have any suggestions or input on these instruments, please advise. Thanx

#131334 - 11/16/04 09:59 AM Re: Roland verses Yamaha
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Quote:
Originally posted by JustAl:
I'm an arranger composer who wirtes and plays newage, classical and an assortment of other stuff used in film production. I'm looking to upgrade and get an instrument that will inspire new music. I just started looking on line at the Roland Fantom, VA-76 and the Yamaha Motif and Tyros. Anyone have any suggestions or input on these instruments, please advise. Thanx

The VA-7(6) will be replaced soon by the G-70 of Roland. Since the genres you are playing do not always require styles, maybe a synth could do fine too? But I'm not too experienced with synths..

I own the VA-7 and it has a variety of classical/newage sounds, so the G-70 will also have that I suppose.. I'm not sure about what you are expecting, do you have a demo maybe to let us hear what you try to improve?

[This message has been edited by Sander (edited 11-16-2004).]

#131335 - 11/16/04 10:09 AM Re: Roland verses Yamaha
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
JustAl

You might want to check out this article of a noted composer and how he uses arrangers and in particular, the Tyros.
http://www.arrangerworkstation.com/functionjunction.html

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#131336 - 11/16/04 10:40 AM Re: Roland verses Yamaha
JustAl Offline

Cut and paste the link below into your browser for a sample. I'm heading out to the store soon and I hope there are enough models on the floor to sample. At the Roland website there are some great videos where they show the Fantom and some of it's capabilities. I just wish yamaha had similar demo videos. Nothing worse than spending $3000 on a keyboard and finding out later that you have to be a engineer to operate it.
http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transmit.asp?txygnbz=4385&chkldsxv1=47144&yhgbndsq=1

Quote:
Originally posted by Sander:
The VA-7(6) will be replaced soon by the G-70 of Roland. Since the genres you are playing do not always require styles, maybe a synth could do fine too? But I'm not too experienced with synths..

I own the VA-7 and it has a variety of classical/newage sounds, so the G-70 will also have that I suppose.. I'm not sure about what you are expecting, do you have a demo maybe to let us hear what you try to improve?

[This message has been edited by Sander (edited 11-16-2004).]

#131337 - 11/16/04 10:45 AM Re: Roland verses Yamaha
JustAl Offline

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
JustAl

You might want to check out this article of a noted composer and how he uses arrangers and in particular, the Tyros.
http://www.arrangerworkstation.com/functionjunction.html

Al

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online