SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172942 - 10/25/04 05:14 AM Sequences in Multipad
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I am working on a funk (using Koolfunk style) on the PSR3000 and programmed 4 sequences (4 bars) with different instruments in the Multipads. It's great as a buildup and the result is a terrific drive with funkguitar, clavinet, baritonsax and saxsection.
There are 4 things however that bother me a bit, especially number 2.
1. Voices that use effects, are possible on the Multipads, but without the effects. So if you choose a Wah Clav, there is no Wah (the Wah is done by the DSP and is not in the sample). This is a pity, but not a terrible thing.
2. If I press a Multipadbutton on time, sometimes the sequence starts too late - there is a delay. I noticed that after one round of 4 bars, the timing is adjusted. This is a strange phenomena. Once the timing is OK, it stays OK.
3. Quantize is not possible. I adjusted some notes and chords by hand. It's not a problem that timing is not exact, but it IS a problem when it is a short sequence and it is repeated.
4. The result is mono. It would have been nice if one could pan each voice within the 4 multipads.

I know I am using the Multipad perhaps differently than is intended. My question is, how this is on other arranger keyboards. I noticed that multipads in Roland styles have sometimes little sequences, so there these delays shouldn't be present. Maybe Yamaha can fix this with a software updates.

------------------
drdalet

#172943 - 10/25/04 06:31 AM Re: Sequences in Multipad
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Hi Drdalet,
I'm leoD..& I've just joined the Forum (today) You subject caught my eyr because I'm a great believer in the power of M.Pads...And I've done a lot of my own..see art on www.Psrtutorial.com
I think the problem you are experiencing may be sorted as follows
1) Make sure when Recording a Pad to START with the 1st Beat of the Bar....then when you go to introduce the M.pad whie playing, make sure you hit it on the 1st Beat...if you do mistime your Pad in ...hit the pad again on the 1st bt next bar..,
Hope this helps,
Regards
LeoD..Ireland;

#172944 - 10/25/04 07:02 AM Re: Sequences in Multipad
drdalet Offline

Thanks for your reply Leo.
In fact the sequence starts on the first beat and I press the button in time - then it seems the sequence starts later and not at the moment I press the button.
Since the style has 4 bars and the sequences too, I make sure I press the button at the moment the style starts with the first bar too.
It seems to me the multipads are OK after they have been played once, but the first time, after loading everything by pressing the registrationbutton, it doesn't start right away.
I will also check if the order by which the multipads are used matters.
BTW, I posted the same question on the psrtutorial forum, with an answer from Michael Bedesem. You'll find it in the Styles/Multipads section: click here .

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-25-2004).]

#172945 - 10/25/04 08:38 AM Re: Sequences in Multipad
drdalet Offline

Hi Leo,
finished working I just read your article on the Multipads. Excelent.
I wished I read it beforehand, because now all the voices are panned in the middle.
So I have to correct this with an external sequencer - I use XGworks.
The same thing with reverb. I hope I can make some adjustments or I have to do it over again.

What I do recording the pads is: I start the drums wait one bar and then start playing. If the first time is not OK, I play on and do it another time and maybe still one more time. Then I pick the best one and edit the other notes out. Of course I also erase the first empty bar by shifting all the notes up. A lot of editing, but it goes quickly if you use multiselect.
Sometimes the notes do not start on the first beat, but half a beat later (for instance voice at 1.1.0000 and first note at 1.1.0950) - that might be the cause of the timingproblem. I have to check this out.
Anyway - I have a busy night ahead .... but I love it !!

------------------
drdalet

#172946 - 10/25/04 11:28 AM Re: Sequences in Multipad
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
LeoD, thanks for your good contribution regarding Yamaha multipads. I agree that the power of multipads in lilve performance is under utilized by many of us (me included). I only WISH that Yamaha would add the ability for us to assign Multipads 1-4 to a foot pedal controller function option, and/or to SysEX, so it can be triggered via a remote 'midi foot pedal', as both my hands aren't usually at liberty to hit a multipad button at just the right moment, as they're already fully occupied actually playing the keyboard.

As Andrea Rotolo (Dreamer) had brought up on an earlier posting here, adding support for Multipad (1-4)activation via Registrations (1-8) would greatly enhance the convenience of triggering Multipad activation as well. Yamaha, hope you're listening.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#172947 - 10/25/04 12:55 PM Re: Sequences in Multipad
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott, thank you for quoting me... you are a real friend.

#172948 - 10/25/04 03:59 PM Re: Sequences in Multipad
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
LeoD,
I just d'loaded all of your mpad files a couple days ago and I think they are great.
I welcome this opportunity to thank you for sharing your work with the rest of us. And It has inspired me to try my hand at my own creations. Now if I can just find the time

------------------
The old Newb

#172949 - 10/25/04 04:19 PM Re: Sequences in Multipad
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ditto to what Old Newb said. I hadn't realized that LeoD is the same guy who created those impressive multipads. I assume that LeoD's multipads were written & tweaked specifically for the PSR2000 though, right, as on my Tyros, the instrument balances sound just 'a little' off.

LeoD, many thanks for your generous contribution.

- Scott

#172950 - 10/25/04 05:19 PM Re: Sequences in Multipad
drdalet Offline

Leo, it worked
I edited the Pan and Reverb of the multipad in XGworks and it sounds much better now. But it is easier to do it the next time as you described it. The problem with the timing is still a mystery.
Sometimes I play multipad 1 and 2, and they are in sync with the style drums. Then, exactly in time, I press multipad 3 and it comes late. If I let it play, the next round is OK - so there is a gap between the end of multipad 3 en the beginning of the first repeat - multipad 1 and 2 just play on. Sometimes it sounds funny too.

------------------
drdalet

#172951 - 10/26/04 03:33 PM Re: Sequences in Multipad
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
DrDalet, I had the same timing problem you were referring to. I have seen that it can be overcome editing an existing multipad (instead of creating a new one from scratch); another advantage is that all the settings have been arranged already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online