SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183718 - 10/22/04 12:46 PM when singing with midi files.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
When using the midi sequences do you cut out a part and play that live or just sing along with the midi.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#183719 - 10/22/04 01:17 PM Re: when singing with midi files.....
Dnj Offline

I do it both ways it depends on the song and arrngement......and if you can play against it witout being intrusive to the melody.
I sometimes mute the track I want to play along with...or sometimes the SMF needs me to play along to beef up the song.......theres no right or wrong use your ears to determine what sounds good!!!

#183720 - 10/22/04 01:29 PM Re: when singing with midi files.....
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I play guitar mostly, and therefore I mute the guitar tracks and vocals of course. If in addition the file is clustered with instruments I try to strip them down to the bear necessities, drums, bass and piano/organ. This gives you a "live" setting and you become number four in the band. I know that many here despies the use of midifiles and put it in the karaoke category, but I feel as long as you play your instrument and have some chops that work with your songs or even sound like the real thing, you have some credibility after all.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#183721 - 10/22/04 02:39 PM Re: when singing with midi files.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I do it both ways it depends on the song and arrngement......and if you can play against it witout being intrusive to the melody.
I sometimes mute the track I want to play along with...or sometimes the SMF needs me to play along to beef up the song.......theres no right or wrong use your ears to determine what sounds good!!!

I visited your site today, I was very impressed thank you

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#183722 - 10/22/04 04:24 PM Re: when singing with midi files.....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Of course, you always want to mute or reduce the vocals track (even change the instrument). But I keep most all tracks. If it has a heavy piano, I'll play a B3 patch. If the organ is prominent, I'll play piano if I can get the organ patch to sound authentic, otherwise I'll play the organ part. Sometimes a full midi arrangement just needs a little solo work or some horn or clav work.

#183723 - 10/22/04 09:50 PM Re: when singing with midi files.....
Dnj Offline

Mike,
Thanx for the visit to my website I appreciate it....if we can help you just shout!!

Dnj

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online