SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220049 - 10/19/04 04:41 PM Making a decent night's pay
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Well, that might not even possible, but hey, you gotta try something. What do you think of this idea? This is for a gig idea for honky tonk bars. Not big bars at all, even those in small towns. The idea is to get at least $100 a night (solo) and hope for more on Friday or Saturday.

Sun - Thu : Venue pays me $50 + $2 cover
Fri - Sat : Venue pays me $100 + $2 cover

You wouldn't need a door man, the bartender can see who comes in and get the $2. The $2 is low enough, it shouldn't scare anyone off.

You could just go for getting the door only (and charge more) but heck, the bar owner should be able to go for $50 to $100 and you could keep the cover charge less ($2).

You have trouble everywhere but this is a college town and bands will play for little of nothing and even NOTHING. I'm thinking of branching out into smaller surrounding towns and hit up the honky tonks.

#220050 - 10/19/04 05:21 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Honest to God I don't mean this to sound as negative as it probably does, but NO, NO, NO don't do this...

Years ago I played a club in Pittsburgh called the Decade for a very similar arrangement and got soaked...If you do this method, you must have a person from your point of view that will counts heads as they walk in. STILL, if the club disputes your person's count-you have problems...

Even with a contract, its a hard thing to pull off.

Good luck...

Bill in Dayton

#220051 - 10/19/04 05:37 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Years ago I played a club in Pittsburgh called the Decade for a very similar arrangement and got soaked...If you do this method, you must have a person from your point of view that will counts heads as they walk in.

Bill, I am talking about very small bars. Bars that rarely have live music. Dives. These bars are lucky if there are 20 people in the bar on most nights. A big night would be 40 at one time.

I don't know but all I know is I gotta try something. And bar owners are chinchy.

I have another idea for an act that would command more pay but it's thousands of dollars more in equipment away and several months of development and practice even if I had the equipment. In the meantime... I'm trying to figure out how to get $100 to $150. Bands around here are not earning much.

#220052 - 10/19/04 05:54 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The only way you'll find out is to give it a shot... nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

#220053 - 10/19/04 06:37 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
What kind of stuff do you play?

The kind of places you're describing sound like the kind of places many of us are glad to not be playing in anymore, lol..

Not sure where you are...but if you're near a college...you could call up a bunch of frats and set some gigs up. Tell you want your $$$ up front and make sure that your set up in such a way to be away from the beer sliding and keg throwing activities. Colleges (Student Unions)nursing homes, farmers markets, art galleries, Local malls, car dealerships, flea markets, etc. all use entertainment from time to time. You won;t get rich at any of these, but you will get some exposure and experience.

Bill

#220054 - 10/19/04 06:44 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
What kind of stuff do you play?

The kind of places you're describing sound like the kind of places many of us are glad to not be playing in anymore, lol.

Yeah, I know these are not what you guys play, you moved up. I don't even have an arranger right now, had to sell it. Saving up for one now. I play acoustic guitar now.

Reason I say go after these dives is twofold. The decent bars around here don't pay squat. I just keep thinking that venturing out into the boonies and offering to play for $50 to $100 plus the $2 door, it might work. That is not much money to a bar owner and not much money to patrons. I can play Hank Williams with the best of 'em. (With guitar, I play country, folk, rock, blues, some pop.) Actually, even with just me and guitar, I can be more than just your average guy and a guitar. I give 'em more than just "sangin."

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 10-19-2004).]

#220055 - 10/19/04 07:57 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You need to set your sights (and your prices) higher! If you sell yourself short, you will never be satisfied with the experience. Seek out a venue that will complement your style and work a deal with them for an increasing pay scale as business picks up. That way, you are directly responsible for the increase in business and you will be well deserving of an increase in pay.

Try a 2 set night for $50 and dinner. If people stay and the club holds you over, charge $25 per set after that. See if you can get something going this way instead of giving away the milk for free.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 10-19-2004).]

#220056 - 10/19/04 09:53 PM Re: Making a decent night's pay
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You might be better off to make your price with the owner of the bar, and have him agree to pass the hat after they've had a few drinks. If they enjoy your act, they'll pay up.
Cover charges in these little places usually just don't work.
DonM

#220057 - 10/20/04 04:47 AM Re: Making a decent night's pay
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
People are funny - they wouldn't think twice about tipping $2 but they would balk at any cover charge and go somewhere else.

Rather than going for the low brow gigs maybe you should try going for the high brow ones instead. Restaurants in your area might be receptive to having some low-volume, high-quality music and $50/hour would not be unreasonable. Better than playing dives for half that amount. Rather than doing twangy Hank Williams stuff you could give it a more modern bluesy feel, like what Nora Jones did with a Hank tune on her first album. I think going for a classy approach and trying to appeal to an upscale market is a better option even if you're just singing and playing guitar.

#220058 - 10/20/04 06:01 AM Re: Making a decent night's pay
Dnj Offline

Not for nothing but if you onlyy want to make $50.00 bucks or so as stated ....why not go play some nursing homes in a 50 mile circumfrence of your area for $50.00 per hour at least for a "ONE HOUR SHOW" instead of "Four Hours" in a smokey late night "Honky Tonk" or "Dives" for the same price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online