SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#157598 - 09/30/04 05:43 PM I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
I'm going to buy a new PA, and I guess a pair of EVs SXA360 will be a good choice, considering that sometimes I need high volumes.
I don't want to carry the weight of a active Subwoofer... but I know it would be a great thing to add to these speakers... I hope the speakers can handle well the bass range when at loud volumes.

I've been very curious about the Bose PAS, but I won't be able to test them in my country (Portugal) before March/April 2005...

Any other suggestions?...
Any kind of help will be very good at this time of making the final decision.

Thanks

Luis Santos

#157599 - 09/30/04 05:56 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Luis.Santos:
I'm going to buy a new PA, and I guess a pair of EVs SXA360 will be a good choice. Any other suggestions? Luis Santos

Luis, I have auditioned the SxA360's as well as the other PA speaker options (Mackie, Barbetta, Bose, JBL, etc) discussed on this forum, and also concur that the SxA360 an EXCELLENT choice. I myself plan to eventually upgrade (from my SxA100's) to the SxA360's as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing how much you enjoy your new SxA360's. I'm jeoulous.

Scott

#157600 - 09/30/04 06:04 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Luis.Santos Offline

Scottyee,
SXA360 are not cheap here in Portugal... but I think their size and weight is just perfect (coming from a pair of JBL passive speakers with about twice the weight of a single SXA360 each!!).

Uncle Dave is saying wonderfull things about the Bose PAS...
if you already auditioned it, what do you think about it? What's your opinion about the "Stereo to Mono", specially on the Grand Piano sound? I already read some posts were you mentioned that one of your main concerns is the sound of the Grand Piano (wich I also use a lot for piano solo + a female voice), so if you could share your opinion about this Bose PAS, it would be very nice!

Thanks!

Luis Santos

#157601 - 09/30/04 09:20 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Uncle Dave is saying wonderfull things about the Bose PAS...What's your opinion about the "Stereo to Mono", specially on the Grand Piano sound? Luis Santos

Luis, I had the opportunity to audition the Bose PAS thru my Yamaha Tyros on several different occasions (both in a studio setting as well as on a gig), and even after attempting to tweak the EQ settings on the PAS, the Yamaha Tyros stereo samples (especially the Stereo Grand Piano) sound terrible : very thin & tinny. The problem boils down to the simple FACT that mixing a stereo sample (which also incorporates effects) down to mono results in phase cancellation and unacceptably poor sound because the effects are missing in the process. If you can afford purchase TWO (not just one) Bose PAS speaker ( $4,000 )then I'm sure the Bose will sound impressive, but ...

Quote:

so if you could share your opinion about this Bose PAS, it would be very nice!

If you're wanting to use a single Bose PAS unit ($2,000) to play a Yamaha arranger thru, I say (to quote the phrase DNJ likes to use: ForgetaboutIt! The EV SxA360 is the CLEAR WINNER!: smooth response from top to bottom with a solid bass which can easily hold its own, and you get TWO speakers for the price of a single Bose PAS unit. I look forward to the day I too will be able to upgrade to the EV SxA360's, as in my comparison tests, heard a big improvement in sound between it and my EV SxA100's as well, and well worth the sharp price difference as well. To top off this, the EV SxA360's are lighter, and even more ergonomic to transport than the SxA100's (or other current comparably sized PA speaker competition (Barbetta, JBLs, Mackies, etc) as well. I guess you all know now that I'm really sold on power output & sound quality of the SxA360's.

Scott

#157602 - 09/30/04 09:22 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Dnj Offline

#157603 - 09/30/04 09:28 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I love my Bose.
All summing does not induce cancellation.
Louder EVs do not cover more than efficient Bose PAS. They just make more sound up close.
I don't love the Yamaha grand piano sound ..... even in stereo, so I use edited versions or EPs.
I sold my second tower and use only ONE exclusively now. That's all that's really needed to cover any room size I encounter.

Mileage may vary. Boyd where prohibited.

#157604 - 09/30/04 10:01 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

All summing does not induce cancellation.

Perhaps not, but with Yamaha stereo keyboard samples, it most definitely 'does'.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

I don't love the Yamaha grand piano sound ..... even in stereo

Uncle Dave, sorry but I have to disagree. As an acoustic grand piano (Steinway) player as well as arranger keyboardist, I honestly think the Yamaha Tyros' stereo 'Grand Piano' voice to sound quite impressive for a 'sampled sound' if kept output to stereo. - Scott

#157605 - 10/01/04 11:08 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Uncle Dave, sorry but I have to disagree.

You CAN'T disagree ! It's my thoughts only. I said "I" don't love it. Surely, you can't disagree with what I don't love !

(...sure I can, and don't call me Shirley !)

I just don't like it. The tone is nice, but it doesn;t have as much playability as some others I've owned.

#157606 - 10/09/04 07:23 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
Luis.Santos Offline

I guess I'm finnaly going to order the EVs...
Anyone has another suggestion?

Thanks

Luis Santos

#157607 - 10/09/04 07:35 PM Re: I'm probably going to buy a pair of EVs SXA 360. Any other suggestion?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Louis,

If I were in your position, I would talk with owner of the music store and ask if you can A/B the various sound systems during a time when it's convenient to him. If he or she is agreeable, take the keyboard and vocal setup to the music store, then let your ears be the judge. Everyone has their own opinion of what sounds best for them--but it may not be what you're looking for. Additionally, take some good midi files with you, and allow them to play while you walk around the store in various positions and listen carefully to how they sound.

Play the same midi files through each system and do not do a lot of tuning. Set the EQs to a flat setting, and don't use any effects at all. This is important. This will tell what the system sounds like without lots of tweeking. Some sound good after lots of tuning, while others will not. The one that sounds good with a flat EQ will likely sound fantastic when tuned and tweeked.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online