SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157921 - 09/27/04 08:56 AM Softsynth arrangers in a new thread
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The thread on "your prayers have been answered" has morphed to softsynths. Thought I would re-open on a new thread.
Frank,
You said,"I recommended the use of sYnerGi GS for the XG Drum compatibility in the days before we had OMB". Could you expand on what OMB did?
Is OMB now your favorite arranger software?
I don't find using sYnerGi GS to be harsh as Rikki said but rather that "something??" is missing. I am losing faith, I haven't lost faith yet.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-27-2004).]

#157922 - 09/27/04 09:07 AM Re: Softsynth arrangers in a new thread
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Playing MIDI files thru Synergi sound ok. I brought in my system to check out the sound card, and the tech says all is normal. There is nothing wrong with my SB Live card.
Starkeeper

#157923 - 09/27/04 02:21 PM Re: Softsynth arrangers in a new thread
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Starkeeper, I don't want this to get into a disagreement with you on what sounds good or not. I have given you my view and if you disagree then you need to find a system (hardware or software) that satisfies your needs as closely as possible.

I believe what OMB does is take the XG Drumkit instrument arrangement (instruments by note numbers) and realigns them as closely as possible to those of a GM Drumkit. So when you play a midi file or style you do not get hand claps or dogs howling in the wrong places.

So what you can do is convert the midi part of the Yamaha style to GM compatible drumkits and use any other GM Wavetable of your choosing, e.g., HQ Hyper Canvas or some other soundfont wavetable. This makes your software based system very flexible.

Another area that can be useful for improving the sound of virtual acoustic instruments is to add effects such as equalizers, reverbs and chorus. I believe the sYnerGi GS wavetable comes with effects that can be loaded into your SBLive card. The author also provides advice on how much effect to add. For example reverb will tend to make the sound more mellow whereas chorus will add some harmonics and improve the richness/fullness of the sound.

Also, I believe you indicated you have the SBLive soundcard. This card can only load a 32mb or smaller wavetable. I believe the author of sYnerGi GS provides you with a smaller version. The main version weighs in at 44mb. I don't know what happens when you try to load this wavetable into your SBLive. I have seen soundfont managers on the internet that will let you load more than 32mb into your soundcard. A search of the internet may be worthwhile. Otherwise you would need to take the software route - host-LiveSynth Pro - sYnerGi GS.

Now Starkeeper, if I were you I would not waste to much time on all these options. Let your ears be your guide as many before me have said so eloquently. If you want to exactly duplicate the Yamaha sounds you will likely not succeed with a software approach. You will waste your time and money which I would not want to see anybody do. I have stated my views on this subject and I stick by them after 2 or more years of operating a fully software based system. My system is effective and efficient. It works reliabily and sounds so, so, so good!!!

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-27-2004).]

#157924 - 09/27/04 02:35 PM Re: Softsynth arrangers in a new thread
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Starkeeper, I forgot to indicate that my perferred style player remains Live - Styler. I hear a new version is coming out soon. It works flawlessly for me - plus I started with it and am used to it.

This does not take anything away from OMB. It has strengths that can be very useful as I pointed out in the past.

In addition, I am beta testing forte version 1.5. Things keep getting better every day.

#157925 - 09/27/04 08:27 PM Re: Softsynth arrangers in a new thread
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
it's me that uses omb. Maybe I used the wrong term "harsh' I was mainly referring to the drums. Individually they sound so realistic ( full on ) and if being used in a psr style, the the drum track will need editing/balancing ie the hihats in some styles are drowning out bass drums etc etc so the drum mix doesn't sound right. I'm probably not used to hearing such realistic drum sounds.
OMB has style editing features. In the stylemaker section, under track, there's a conversion facility ie you can change one note to another plus adjust the velocity by percentage ( I think ) ie change a b2 bassdrum to a c3 bassdrum plus increase or decrease the velocity of that note and save the conversion table as a template.
Great way of turning xg drum map into a gm drum map.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Is OMB now your favorite arranger software?
I don't find using sYnerGi GS to be harsh as Rikki said but rather that "something??" is missing. I am losing faith, I haven't lost faith yet.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-27-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online