SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210889 - 09/11/04 02:32 PM IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just recently:

1) UPGRADED from: Windows Media Player 9 to version 10.

2) Installed Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Everything appears to be working well, EXCEPT:

One of the things I really enjoyed BEFORE upgrading to Windows Media Player 10 & installing XP Service Pack 2, was the ability to play & view music-videos directly from within IE6, via the IE 'Media Bar' feature.

Unfortunately, Unbeknownst to me until 'after' I installed the above updates, I've discovered that Microsoft has REMOVED the IE Media Bar Feature in XP Service Pack 2, so it's no longer possible to view the 'Windows Media Player' within the Internet Explorer (side bar) window. I'm curious WHY Microsoft removed this cool feature with XP Service Pack 2, as well as like to know if the Media Bar feature no longer works when running 'Windows Media Player 9' (and XP Service Pack 2) as well.

Interested to hear if any other people here are experiencing something similar. In the meantime, here a couple of links I found on this subject.
http://www.mcse.ms/archive167-2004-9-999560.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/readme.aspx#144627

Feedback appreciated.

Scott

#210890 - 09/12/04 05:26 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
You're still using IE???? Shame Shame...You should be using Mozilla :P

#210891 - 09/12/04 12:01 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS:
You're still using IE???? Shame Shame...You should be using Mozilla :P

... and that might just be the reason why!
You all know how Microsoft is target of many companies that see Microsoft as a monopolist. Maybe Microsoft had to remove this option. (It's just a guess)

------------------
drdalet

#210892 - 09/12/04 04:45 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Quasar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by drdalet:
...Microsoft as a monopolist. Maybe Microsoft had to remove this option. (It's just a guess)

Mine's just a guess, too, but I very much doubt it. Certainly the 900 lb gorilla can do THAT if it chooses to.

I highly recommend the Opera browser. You can get it free with banner ads, or pay 40$ for the registered ad-free version. I only use IE for those sites that are not truly web-standard compliant, but only IE compliant. (Which is not very often, and getting less so.)

#210893 - 09/13/04 01:20 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Look folks the question is about IE not about the alternatives. It's like Scott is saying "My Ford broke down, how do I fix the brakes" and you lot are saying "Buy a Chevy instead".

I'm an IE6 user too, now running with XP SP2. Trouble is I've never used the media bar! I'll have a look at this when I get home.

There's a microsoft page which may help: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/preferences/media.mspx

#210894 - 09/13/04 05:21 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
Dnj Offline

http://www.mozilla.org

Mozilla FireFox is a pure pleasure vs IE try it!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-13-2004).]

#210895 - 09/14/04 12:59 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
... still not answered the question though.

Not that I've got any ideas... I had a play with IE6 at home last night and got nowhere!

Sorry

#210896 - 09/14/04 04:43 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I have just downloaded Service pack 2 and I can't believe how much better the coffee tastes

#210897 - 09/14/04 06:53 AM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2004/Mar/21/xp_service_pack_2_review.html

According to the above site:
"Another change is the removal of the Media Bar, which was only introduced in the first release of IE6. The official line from Microsoft on this is that it has been removed as a security feature, and that users can now use Windows Media Player instead. It’s not a feature I’m going to miss as in the 2 1/2 years that’s it been around I can’t say I’ve ever used it.

------------------
drdalet

#210898 - 09/14/04 06:05 PM Re: IE 'Media Bar' No Longer Available with XP Service Pack 2
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Mozilla FireFox is a pure pleasure vs IE try it!

Donny, tell me more... anyone else using this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online