SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162373 - 09/15/04 10:50 AM How Many People Played Guitar First...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'll be there are a lot of working arranger users like me who started off working as a guitar player.

I was wondering:

1. Do you still play guitar on your single jobs?

2. How do you incorporate guitar (or instruments other than arranger keyboard(s) into your act?

3. Did your knowledge of guitar make the transition to keyboard easier?

I played guitar for 20 years before I began playing organ. By that time, the security and money was in solo acts. Now, I keep a nylon string Goden on the bandstand. Especially early in the evening, I play 4-5 instrumental solos per set. No sequences, just nylon string. I also play a big jazz guitar in a fusion group.

What about you?

Russ

#162374 - 09/15/04 10:58 AM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I started playing guitar several years after the piano. To be honest I thought guitar was easier to play. When I used to perform I did a combo of both (actually several). I play bass guitar, and drums too. My band was one of those where everyone could play more than one instrument so we switched up a lot... People do take note when a band does that too

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#162375 - 09/15/04 12:45 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT, USA
I played quitar for a long time but stopped playing some time ago because it was lonesome playing by myself. I took up keyboard about a year ago and I'm loving it. I can now play with with my own little onboard keyboard combo and it's a lot more fun than playing solo guitar. I think that playing the guitar helped the transition to playing the keyboard though. I've only learned to play in a couple of keys yet. I rely too much on the transpose fuction, kind of like the capo with a guitar. I could play in any key on the guitar. I can't "think" in keyboard yet like I could with the guitar but I'm getting there. With the keyboard, no more "blisters on my fingers", broken strings(my guitar in the corner has two right now), tuning(seems like I was always tuning the guitar), and almost as portable.
Chuck
ps BTW, I went to the movies the other night and there was a trailer for a movie called Ray. It's the story of Ray Charles. I'd love to see that. Also, Michael McDonald was on PBS the other night playing a Yamaha. Great concert with a couple of Doobie Brother walk ons.

#162376 - 09/15/04 02:21 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I started guitar at age 6, and didn't even touch the piano till my sisters lost interest in the (mandatory) lessons they recieved.
Today, I use some guitar along with the rhythm machine or a sequence or totally solo, depending on the venue.

I love doing the soft rock of the 60s and 70s on my acoustic. Stuff like:
James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Logins & Messina, Beatles, Eagles, Fogleberg, CSNY etc ..... the crowd usually eats it up unless it's a dance room or a dining room.

For listening ..... it's a rare treat for me to just have one guitar and one voice. Soothes the soul.

When I use sequences, I try to play chords in an upper register, and in a thin tone - it blends better than my 1st position, full chords that I use as a soloist. I have Parker Fly that I use at work with the acoustic pickup as the main sourse and the humbuckers blended in very subtly. It sounds kinda like a jazz box with real bright strings on it.

#162377 - 09/15/04 03:37 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Originally posted by captain Russ:

1. Do you still play guitar on your single jobs?
...Yes
2. How do you incorporate guitar (or instruments other than arranger keyboard(s) into your act?
...Yes
3. Did your knowledge of guitar make the transition to keyboard easier?
...Yes
I'm currently doing both in our band(s).I use an Ibanez Musician series and a Danelectro 12, in addition to my Ovation Balladeer 12. When I head out for a gig...my truck is full.
Like squeak stated..."People take note when your capable of playing more than one instrument.

Originally posted by U.D.:
"...I love doing the soft rock of the 60s and 70s on my acoustic. Stuff like:
James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Logins & Messina, Beatles, Eagles, Fogleberg, CSNY etc ..... the crowd usually eats it up unless it's a dance room or a dining room."
Dave...you & I have got to get together and jam!!
If you're ever taking a trip up to Canada, let me know....(and dress warm!!)
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-15-2004).]

#162378 - 09/15/04 03:39 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, Dave...I'm a BIG Parker Fly fan! When I use mine, I put the acoustic pick-up directly into a PA channel, put the magnetics throught a tube shper champ and then line out into a second channel. Great sound. Locking tuners help on outside jobs.

How do you amplify yours on the job?

Russ

#162379 - 09/15/04 04:31 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Played the piano at age 5, switched to guitar at age 12--and as Squeak said, the guitar was easier. After picking up my first keyboard, I found it increasingly difficult to sit down and play the guitar. I have a pair of beautiful accustics that I'm probably going to put on Ebay.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162380 - 09/15/04 04:37 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Does 2 guitar lessons count??? ...
Then the accordion player in the band my parents new convinced them to have me switch to accordion ... who knows I could been better than ELVIS !!!
t.

#162381 - 09/15/04 05:33 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I started on bass as a kid in 1974, went to college with a major in music only to jump to keys 15 years ago. Interesting enough that when I work on one instrument and forget about the other for extended periods of time I seem to approach it differenty often much improved or at least from a different perspective when I come back. Bass is always my 1st love but I can never turn my back on my keyboards either...

#162382 - 09/15/04 05:34 PM Re: How Many People Played Guitar First...?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Then the accordion player in the band my parents new convinced them to have me switch to accordion ... who knows I could been better than ELVIS !!!

Tony...Have you seen the Pepsi ad about a young Jimi Hendrix? You may have a point there!

------------------
...L

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online