SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164242 - 03/20/04 09:35 PM Witty Worm squiggles its way onto Computers using...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Black Ice and Real Secure Internet firewall products. Read On:

'Witty' Worm Wrecks Computers
Sat Mar 20, 7:16 PM ET Add Technology - washingtonpost.com

By Brian Krebs, washingtonpost.com Staff Writer

A quickly spreading Internet worm destroyed or damaged tens of thousands of personal computers worldwide Saturday morning by exploiting a security flaw in a firewall program designed to protect PCs from online threats, computer experts said.

The "Witty" worm writes random data onto the hard drives of computers equipped with the Black Ice and Real Secure Internet firewall products, causing the drives to fail and making it impossible to restart the PCs. Unlike many recent worms that arrive as e-mail attachments, it spreads automatically to vulnerable computers without any action on the part of the user.

At least 50,000 computers have been infected so far, according to Reston, Va.-based computer security firm iDefense and the Bethesda, Md.-based SANS Institute.

The firewalls were developed by Atlanta-based Internet Security Systems. Chris Rouland, vice president of the company's X-Force research and development division, said that as many as 32,000 corporate computers could be infected. The company does not know how many home users are infected. ISS released a patch and a detailed writeup of the affected products.

Most infected computers will have to be rebuilt from scratch unless their owners instead decide to buy new ones, said Ken Dunham, a computer security expert at iDefense.

"The thing looks like it will corrupt or crash most drives enough so that reinstallation is going to be required," he said. "This is a very destructive worm."

Officials at the Department of Homeland Security, which is in charge of the government's cybersecurity efforts, were unavailable for comment.

Internet worms, viruses and other malignant software often install software or open "back doors" that allow hackers to control infected computers. That often gives them access to private data that people keep on their computers, and allows them to use those computers to send out e-mail spam that cannot be traced back to its real owner. The Witty worm is different and in some respects more destructive because it renders the computer useless.

Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer for the SANS Internet Storm Center, said that the worm does not create files on infected computers so most antivirus software will not detect it.

Security vulnerability research firm eEye Digital Security identified the flaw last Wednesday. The Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based company discovered that it could trick some versions of Black Ice and Real Secure into processing Internet traffic that would allow attackers to transfer dangerous data to vulnerable computers.

The Witty worm gets its moniker from a message buried within its code that says: "insert witty message here." That comes just before the code that overwrites the infected hard drives.

Joe Stewart, a senior security researcher at Chicago-based security services company Lurhq, said he expects the worm to die out over the next few hours as vulnerable computers quickly become useless hosts.

"With all these hard drive problems, the infection rates are going to shrink pretty quickly as all these affected machines grind themselves to a halt," Stewart said.

-------------------------------------------

Hopefully none of our members were infected.

It is a real bummer to have build from the ground up, format a Hard Drive and start from scratch. That is; if the Hard Drive is savable. I had to do that very thing on a customer's Computer yesterday. The infamous Witty Worm wrecking havoc.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 03-20-2004).]

#164243 - 03/20/04 10:25 PM Re: Witty Worm squiggles its way onto Computers using...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
keybplayer.That's a good article. Fortunately all this hassle can be avoided in a very cost effective way if everyone used Norton Ghost Image or Powerquest Drive Image. All PC's can be back to working perfect again with ten minutes regardless of any software fault or virus.

I have used Norton Ghost for the past 5 years and as a matter of routine Ghost my saved image back every 2 months. This brings my PC back to the day I saved the Image.

Graham UK

#164244 - 03/20/04 10:48 PM Re: Witty Worm squiggles its way onto Computers using...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Great idea Graham. I have Norton Ghost too. Unfortunately my customer whose computer I worked on yesterday didn't.

Computer Virus writers are getting wilier and wilier. If some of the Drives affected were actually (non-recoverable) as apposed to a lot of them just crashing and not being able to boot up then you possibly wouldn't be able to just re-format the Drive affected but instead would have to possibly trash the Drive and buy a new one if need be. Of course if you have two Hard Drives on your machine, if one is not affected by the Virus, your good to go because you have a Back Up Drive. On the other hand; if the one that IS affected is 'destroyed' (non-recoverable) you will need to buy another Hard Drive if you wish to again have a Back Up Drive on your Computer. Which is an out of pocket expense even though you and I have the mighty Norton Ghost.

PS: The article doesn't specify whether any Drives were actually 'destroyed' (non-recoverable) but eventually (if not already) Virus Writers using craftier and craftier Viruses will not only be able to 'destroy' a Hard Drive but also possibly every other piece of hardware hooked up to the PC. All in one ill fated swoop! Zap!! Goner! Kaput!! ---Kapeesh?

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 03-20-2004).]

#164245 - 03/20/04 11:42 PM Re: Witty Worm squiggles its way onto Computers using...
Zleepy Offline

Loc: Finland
I hate these things... They allways scare me. I never had any big problems so far but now I'm really considering that Ghost-thing.

------------------
Tony

http://zleepy.web1000.com

#164246 - 03/21/04 12:05 AM Re: Witty Worm squiggles its way onto Computers using...
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Since articles in newspapers don't mention valuabe URL's regarding virusthreats, I'll give you two of them here :-)

Description of the worm, it's threat and solutions: http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.witty.worm.html

Remember: this particular worm only has "success" when you're running one of the following products:

RealSecure® Network 7.0, XPU 22.11 and before
RealSecure Server Sensor 7.0 XPU 22.11 and before
RealSecure Server Sensor 6.5 for Windows SR 3.10 and before
Proventia™ A Series XPU 22.11 and before
Proventia G Series XPU 22.11 and before
Proventia M Series XPU 1.9 and before
RealSecure Desktop 7.0 ebl and before
RealSecure Desktop 3.6 ecf and before
RealSecure Guard 3.6 ecf and before
RealSecure Sentry 3.6 ecf and before
BlackICE™ Agent for Server 3.6 ecf and before
BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 ccf and before
BlackICE Server Protection 3.6 ccf and before

More information about these products: http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/alerts/id/166

Download updates for the products mentioned: http://www.iss.net/download/

Bart
(offtopic again, but hey, I didn't start this :-) )

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online