SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197648 - 03/01/04 03:41 AM Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Louis NL Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi All,

I'm currently looking for a keyboard to use both stand-alone and as a midi-controller in combination with programs like Fruity Loops and/or ACID.
As a complete novice I really appreciate your advise.
I've read some positive things about the Roland exr-line.
In the Netherlands the exr-3 can be purchased for about EUR 420. As the exr-5 costs some EUR 100 more I'm not really convinced weither the additional floppy drive and 5 Watt music power is worth the extra investment.
In the Synth Zone forums only the exr-5 is mentioned, what do you guys think of the exr-3 ?

As I have no legacy/history in floppy material ... would the usb connection be enough for me ?

Is there a big audio/quality difference between the exr-3 and exr-5 built in speakers/amplifier?

Thanks for your feedback.

Louis

#197649 - 03/01/04 02:27 PM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I have not demoed the EXR-3 so my comments are based on the EXR-5 (which I have demoed) and the specs.
1. If you are currently using your computer to create music, then a disk drive on a keyboard would not be necessary.
2. My Roland EM20 has 7 watts per channel and my Yamaha PSR550 is 6 watts per channel, and this is adequate. But, the EXR-3 has 5 watts per channel???? hmmm. You want to hear it for yourself, to see if it is adequate.
The voices would be exactly the same. Roland has many good voices. Many Roland voices are superior to the PSR550:
trumpet, trombone, vibes, strings, brass, organs, piano, pan flute. Yamaha excels on the sweet voices. The electric pianos and organs are very good on the EXR-5.
Starkeeper

#197650 - 03/01/04 03:15 PM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Bluebird Offline

But if EXR-3/5 has 8 Mb for sounds, and it has a lot more sounds than previous "entry level" Roland kbs (as EM-20, or old E-36, for ex., all with 8 Mb too), the conclusion may be:
EXR-5 sounds aren't better than these previous models. And probably, older models sound better.
Is it so, Startkeeper?

#197651 - 03/01/04 03:56 PM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Bluebird, It doesn't necessarily mean that more voices need more waverom to sound better, It depends on the samples they have used and how the voices were programmed, I've heard piano sounds who were tremendous in size (Over a gigabyte), but sounded worse than other much smaller piano sounds, who were just 16 or 32 mb.
The only way to really find out is to try them yourself...

Greetz ,
Marcel

[This message has been edited by Wazza (edited 03-01-2004).]

#197652 - 03/02/04 08:31 AM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Starkeeper Offline

Bluebird,
I agree with your logic. My EM-20 has 8mb wave ROM and EXR-3 has 8mb wave rom. The EM-20 has 325 (from memory) voices and EXR-3 has 510. It doesnst work out that way practically. The EXR-5 voices sound marginally better then the EM-20. The DSP's (Roland calls it MFX) is very good on the EXR-5. There is all kinds of functionality on the EXR-3/5 that are not on the EM-20.
I was not comparing the EXR-5 to the EM-20, I was comparing Yamaha PSR550 to EXR-3/5. The PSR550 has 8mb was ROM as well with 700 voices. The sweet voices on the PSR550 are unbeatable, but Roland beats the Yamaha on many of the other voices IMO.
The only voice that concerned me on the EXR-3/5 was the accoustic grand piano voice. I have asked several times and no one has responded. I'll repeat it again. Can someone comment on the EXR-3/5 accoustic grand piano voice. Does it sound electric to you?
I would have been very interested in upgrading to the EXR-5, except for the piano voice.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-02-2004).]

#197653 - 03/02/04 10:11 AM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi

I can remember EXR-5 has more voices than you say: not only 510 panel voices, but a XG voices bank and a GM2 voices bank too. Is it ok?

About piano voice, Fran Carango and George Kaye said that is from decent to good voice. And I can remember Bart (Burkels) said there is a piano voice better than 001: I may remember it was #003. Is it? We need a piano voice mp3 demo...

About sweet voices. Yes, Yamaha sweet voices are very good. But when I demoed EXR-5, I listened one flute and one sax very similar to "yamaha sweet voices"

Comparing with PSR550, I think EXR-5 looks a lot more serious and pro; PSR550 is a good kb, but it seems more like a toy. But... EXR-5 can't edit or modify styles at all, and PSR-550 can do it. It may be a great difference for some users: you may load all roland styles into EXR-5, but as you can't tune or adjust them to EXR-5, some of them aren't going to sound so well as desired.

[This message has been edited by Artaher (edited 03-02-2004).]

#197654 - 03/02/04 10:52 AM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Starkeeper Offline

Arther said, "But when I demoed EXR-5, I listened one flute and one sax very similar to "yamaha sweet voices"".
Do you know what the voice numbers are? I might need to demo the EXR-5 again, but will wait for Yamaha's answer to Casio WK3500 and Roland EXR-5. Possible PSR560 (with cool organ and live orchestra)???
Starkeeper

#197655 - 03/02/04 10:59 AM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Don't let the looks of the 550 fool you. Granted it doesn't have that pro look it still is one hell of a keyboard for the money. Plus one major advantage the 550 has over the Roland is the ability to create use styles. I also think the 550 has a much better display. If the Roland allowed you to edit and create user styles then I would actually consider getting one.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#197656 - 03/02/04 11:58 AM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Louis NL Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Thanks Starkeeper, Bart and others for your feedback.

I'm far from an expert but I asumme that compared to external amplification/speakers the built-in audio-capabilities (be it 10Watt or 5Watt) will be a compromise anyway.
In that respect decent integrated sound is good enough for me ... if I need more I'll hook it up to my Krell/Wilson-Benesh gear ;-)

This will be my first keyboard and I still need to learn a lot. I don't see myself moving around with it, a PC is nearby and I don't have any legacy floppy material.

Also I got confirmed that the EXR keyboards behave like decent midi-controllers with ACID, Cubase and the likes.

Summing this up I'm going to order an EXR-3 + Edirol UM-1SX (usb/midi interface)

Can anyone of you give me some direction for good books, software, Web-sites etc. for beginning keyboard-players ?
b.t.w. What does this so-called 'music assistant' function do ?
Would I be missing the ability to edit styles any time soon ?

Looking forward to sharing experiences with you all.

Cheers,

Louis

#197657 - 03/02/04 01:35 PM Re: Roland exr-3 or exr-5
Starkeeper Offline

Louis,
You are right, internal speakers are a compromise anyway. If you want good speakers, you could buy the Yamaha YSTMS50 powered stereo speakers. Roland keyboards have a good supply of connectors: headphones, line-out, MIDI.
Since you use your computer to create music, there should be a program out there (maybe someone can chime in with this info) to create styles on your computer. You can then xfer to your keyboard.
Let us know when you purchase this keyboard, and your review. Let us know how you find working with the keyboards midi ports. Welcome to the forum.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-02-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online