SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220939 - 02/05/04 03:22 PM Need help with a medley
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I'm putting together a Rogers & Hammerstein medley on my Tyros and am at a loss as to how to make a smooth transition between songs. If I could figure out a consistant way to retard the tempo at the end of each section I could fade out and go to the next song. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Have a great day!

rp

#220940 - 02/05/04 03:44 PM Re: Need help with a medley
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello..............I'm not sure how you are recording or sequencing this............Couldn't you use a few transitional chords while inserting tempo program changes with a sequencer between songs? I think XGworks, PowerTracks and most should allow this. Good luck. I'd love to hear your final midi or recorded result. Good luck. - charley

#220941 - 02/05/04 04:41 PM Re: Need help with a medley
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Richard, if you're planning on performing the medley 'live' in auto accomp mode, I recommend utilizing registration bank memory. Save the tempo changes in different registrations. My medleys often consist of up to 8-16 different registrations of which the changes are stored as a Registration Sequence. Then all you need to do it trigger the Reg changes via your MFC10 foot controler. - Scott

#220942 - 02/05/04 05:05 PM Re: Need help with a medley
Richard Peck Offline

Thank you for the suggestions. My plan is to do the medely live and I am using the registration banks. Where I run into problems is at the end of each song. The voicing, styles, and in one case the time signature changes. If it were just a matter of changing voices leaving the tempo etc the same I'd be in good shape. I'm sure I'm just not seeing the forest for the trees. I find it difficult to understand why the "brains" at Yamaha can't program a tempo key that would work much the same as the fade key.

Keep those cards and letters coming. You guys will get me trained yet! Scott if you have a midi file that demonstrates how you make the transition, please send it over to me. That would be very helpful.

rp

#220943 - 02/05/04 09:53 PM Re: Need help with a medley
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well if you hit the ending button twice, it does ritard.
DonM

#220944 - 02/06/04 11:03 AM Re: Need help with a medley
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Well if you hit the ending button twice, it does ritard.

Thanks for the reminder Don! I had almost forgot that one. Though the Tyros manual lists 'rit' in the index as covered on page 34, there is no mention of the ritard feature on that page.

In my quick test of the rit ending feature it appears that the ritard rate is a fixed value, and not user customizable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Peck:
Where I run into problems is at the end of each song. The voicing, styles, and in one case the time signature changes.

Richard, you can store everything you listed above into its OWN separate registration. To change the time signature from 4/4 to 3/4, just locate a 3/4 style in the same genre as the 4/4 style you're going from. I often begin a song with a verse which may utilize a totally different style (and tempo) then the song chorus and which may even include several increasing tempo changes along the way. The only problem with utilizing performance registrations live is that you must always remember to trigger each registration change at the RIGHT time or it will screw up your entire song performance. Believe me, it's happened to me on more than one occasion , but once you get it down, the registration method of performing song medleys offers the most impressive live performance results.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Peck:

I find it difficult to understand why the "brains" at Yamaha can't program a tempo key that would work much the same as the fade key.

This is a great suggestion to present to Yamaha. Steve Deming, hope you're reading this. In addition to allowing you to select a tempo change target rate: bpm, the tempo change button should also allow you to 'enter' the 'amount of time' (sec or measures) for it to take to go from the original tempo to new tempo.

Scott

#220945 - 02/09/04 08:22 AM Re: Need help with a medley
Richard Peck Offline

As usual, good information from my SynthZone friends. I too had forgotten about the 2 tap ritard. Then again, in spite of my efforts, the features of the Tyros constantly amaze me.

Thanks again for your help!

Have a great day!

rp

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online