SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211231 - 01/30/04 08:33 AM Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The program is called Charlie and it is a VSTi plugin for programs such as Logic, Cubase, etc. It is the first "real" sample-based virtual instrument. After listening to the demos I have to say it simply blows away Native Instruments B4 IMO.

Charlie was shown at Winter NAMM and apparently it is available now. The cost is $299 but it sure beats having to buy a Clone, eg., VK-88, CX-3, etc.

Of course you need a computer or laptop to run it but if you already have those and a VST host program, ie., Logic, Cubase, Sonar 3, etc., then you're good to go.

Oh, and your Keyboard would have to have Midi In/Out ports and or a USB interface to run to the computer or laptop.

I am seriously considering getting Charlie.

Those Organ sounds are simply fantastic! The best I've heard in a Software based B3 emulator and better than 'most' Keyboard Clones I've heard. The notable exception may be an actual B3.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Don't forget to listen to the Demos!!

Charlie

#211232 - 01/30/04 09:11 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Is the universe trying to tell me something?
I got the message already. TMI. I hear you.
Mike, thanks for sharing. No. Really. I mean it. I didn't know you were working for the universe.
Starkeeper

#211233 - 01/30/04 09:23 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
larigot Offline

Loc: Portsmouth - UK
I use the NI B4 on stage through my laptop and it fools a lot of people, it never crashes, works as a stand alone program, has user programable preset's and comprehensive editing facilities, a great leslie simulator, super eye catching graphics and the importing of different vintage instruments option plus unlimited polyphony.
Do you think you could tell them apart in a band situation???
Personally I think the B4 is hard to beat consequently I shall be using my B4 for the forseeable future.

Larigot

#211234 - 01/30/04 09:48 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I listened to the Demos. Wow, but I didn't hear a sample with harmonic percusion (2nd or 3rd). This is often used by jazz organists.
Starkeeper

#211235 - 01/30/04 11:45 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike, "blow away NI's B4"...I don't think so..Have you played B4...Charlie sounds great, but it sounds more like Wersi[lacks percussion]..I am not sure what Spectrasonics has to do with the product, but the "Boss"[Eric Persing} knows his stuff...Personally I think B4 is still the best, it's even better than the real thing..

#211236 - 01/31/04 06:53 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
For anyone interested, there's a free demo download here http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?b4_us

Charlie? Gotta have the percussions.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 01-31-2004).]

#211237 - 01/31/04 10:18 PM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Vquestor Offline

How does the LinPlug DaOrgan compare?

#211238 - 02/01/04 08:59 AM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I've tried everything out there and nothing has what the B4 has. " Da Organ " is good, but not quite as good as the B4, as far as my tastes v questor. In fact, I think the freeware Z3 is as good as Da organ.

I looked at Charlie, and can hear the demo tunes, but if they don't give me a working demo to test it out myself, no thanks, I'll stick to my B4. Nothing out there "blows it away".

I will give Spectrasonics their due though. Their USB ( Ultimate Sound bank ) series of sounds is excellent for someone who'd prefer to use a soft wavetable synth ( rompler ) vs hardware ( Motifs Fantoms etc ).

AJ

#211239 - 02/01/04 01:17 PM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Okay guys, I see my dissing the B4 has stepped on some toes here. Well, to clarify the situation I am judging my decision on the Demos only not playing the respective programs through a Keyboard and sound system. I have demo'd the B4 and Charlie on my computer only and I thought the demo of Charlie was much better than the B4. I suppose (and unequivocally so) that judging them by playing them through a Keyboard Controller and an excellent Sound System will of course provide the ultimate test and the clear winner.

I wish Charlie was a stand alone program that could be tested through my Keyboard (before actually purchasing it) and an external sound system or maybe Ilio could provide a video demonstration of Charlie in action.

Btw, I was not aware that the Native Instruments B4 demo could be actually tested through a Keyboard (by way of Midi In/Outputs etc.??) Is that possible?

I haven't delved into the B4 demo's help files and in fact I don't have the B4 demo currently on my computer. I recently upgraded my computer's hardware and it was necessary for me to clean install Windows XP so I had to reformat my HD and start from sratch again. I have most my programs back up and running now but I will have to go to the Native Instruments site and download the B4 demo again (if I find out I can actually demo it through my Tyros and sound system).

Also, I fired off a couple emails to Ilio but as of yet I have not heard back from them. One of the emails was regarding Percussion and setting up Charlie to use in a live setting.

Best regards,
Mike

#211240 - 02/01/04 03:17 PM Re: Alternative to Native Instruments B4...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
B4 is a DXi, VSTi and standalone, and works with a midi controller, so yes, you can use the Tyros as a controller Mike. It won't play "through" any keyboard. Like any other Dxi / VSti, you use your host propgram and computer soundcard. My Midiman Audiophile soundcard outputs directly to my studio mixer - soundsystem, as do my keyboards, so I can play the B4 through the system.

My problem with Charlie is that there is no working demo. Besides that, it's a sample based program. We have enough hardw ware and software romplers in the world that can already do that, and while some come fairly close, they still don't really reproduce the authentic sounds accurately across the entire range of the keys. It's no different than trying to emulate a guitar or sax. There are physical limitations that samples just cannot readily overcome.

The B4 uses a type of physical modeling and has been declared by many sound magazines as well as some pro players to be the closest thing to a B3 - C3 emulation out there, including any and all of today's hardware romplers. My own ears and the memories of hearing and recording a real C3 up close and personal tell me that they are right.

Can you explain how Charlie, at a higher cost, without the actual modeling structures, would be a better value than that ?

AJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online