SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#155435 - 01/23/04 08:25 PM PaX-EXB01
seanbaker Offline

Anyone put the PaX-EXB01 concert grand expansion in the PA1X pro? I was curious how good it sounded and if it was like the piano in the Triton Studio that is suppose to be so good? The piano is the only thing stopping me from getting the PA1xpro. So is this PaX-EXB01 the answer?

#155436 - 01/23/04 08:36 PM Re: PaX-EXB01
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
I guess it's nice that it's available, but $4500 list and you still don't get the GOOD piano? Korg really seems to be pushing the limits of what they can extract from their customers. Whatever, them with the means that try one may well buy one, I thought it a big advance over the PA80. Of course, at two grand, you would think that al least the fills and break function would work on the PA80, but I guess that I just expect ttoo much for my money--------------

#155437 - 01/24/04 02:00 AM Re: PaX-EXB01
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
it is indeed scandalous that one should have to buy yet another extension board to have a decent acoustic piano sound. Gee, the acoustic piano on my 12-year old Roland E70 still outshines most of them !!!!
And what with the price-tags of the new Korg boards ? only goes to show what I mentioned in the other PA1x thread here, how arrogant they can be at Korg.
shame really cause they make damn good instruments.....................

#155438 - 01/24/04 09:04 AM Re: PaX-EXB01
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I don't want to get anyone mad at me here, but the piano in the PA1Xpro is not a bad piano, it's just that some people like Roland and Yamaha Piano samples better then what Korg has been using in their Triton series of keyboards.
I have sold many PA1XPRO keyboards and those that have purchased them have come in, listened, and thought the grand piano was OK to wonderful. This would also be true for most musicians who buy the Triton products.
I have said numerous times that I like the Roland piano and the Yamaha piano sounds better, but it's all a personal taste thing. I find that the Korg Piano's tend to be brighter then Roland, which are the most mellow to my ears and even brighter then the Yamaha. On page two of the PA1Xpro piano catagory there is a dark grand piano which sounds more like some of the other brands of pianos.
Korg has decided, after listening to their customers, to take the piano sample not out of the Triton but rather out of the Triton LE88, which has a newer, mellower piano, and make this available by using an expansion board for those liking the different piano as another to choose from.
Yamaha makes a piano expansion board, Roland makes a piano expansion board, so now Korg is just offering the option.
I'm glad that you now can have it if you want and don't buy it if you don't need it.
It's not an issue that they should have included it for the money because there is nothing wrong with any of the pianos already inside the keyboard. To those who created this keyboard, they decided to put a certain sample of an acoustic piano in it that maybe they liked better and thought worked better in this product.
I wouldn't get down on Korg for asking you to buy this board but rather be happy they made it available for those wanting something else. Having the option is better than not having an option!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#155439 - 01/24/04 09:20 AM Re: PaX-EXB01
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are (at least) two sides to every story.
Thanks George.
DonM

#155440 - 01/24/04 10:49 PM Re: PaX-EXB01
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
George,

I agree, the grand piano sound on the PA1X pro is not bad at all. It is just like any other synth, very acceptable sound in the mix but not like a real piano sound that can be played solo.

It's just a matter of taste I guess, I kind of prefer the piano sounds of Motif and Roland XV slightly better than PA.

I for one am not buying the piano board for PA. Keep in mind, almost all major companies, including Roland and Yamaha offer Piano expansion cards for their synths. Korg is not the only company doing that.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online