SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209477 - 01/19/04 08:27 AM Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Dnj Offline

I am really tossed up with what is gonna happen in the future after looking at this MAMM show, hearing everyones wants & needs in KB tecnology, high prices,manufactureres not givig musicians what they want in features to a point. But then this leads me to believe that the trend is going to Soft Synth technology.....its inevitable for sure. But how and when will it take the place of arranger Kb's as we know them?
I hope it happens soon so we can move on to the next phase of music creation. Todays tims seem to have us in Pergatory right now in between the two worlds dont you think?

#209478 - 01/19/04 08:37 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
trtjazz Offline

Donny
I believe you are right that we are in the early stages of a bigger transition period to come.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#209479 - 01/19/04 08:44 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Dnj Offline

I hope so Terry I'm gettin old!!!!
Just give me a good synth
weighted ...lightweight....
61/76 KB contoller, my Laptop loaded with soft synth programs and realtime arranger styles /sounds and goodies to match conventional arrangers of today....that I can access & navagate on stage...
a good PA system and I will make beautiful music...!!
When....When.....When.....?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-19-2004).]

#209480 - 01/19/04 09:22 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
We are all spoiled..Todays keyboards offer so much with features that we couldn't imagine ten years ago...come on, learn to use what we got, even if it's not perfect for us....I gaurantee you all won't be happy in the soft world..as we are spoiled more..

#209481 - 01/19/04 09:34 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I think the reason we don't have a soft synth arranger yet is because of weak software. Why would a soft synth arranger need a super powerfull pc? The keyboard mfg don't use powerfull chips, but they are not running windows. What is required is an O/S dedicated to music and ONE piece of software that runs the styles and the voices. The software could be configured to use various buttons on a controller that are not strictly MIDI controls, so that you don't have to use the notes on the keyboard for variations, start/stop, etc.
I think the Ekco is on that right track, although it's not an arranger. If a few more msg jump in, increase the innovation, and lower the price, we will have what we want.
I haven't heard anyone say the organs on their keyboards are better then N.I.B4. soft synth. Makes you wonder.
Starkeeper

#209482 - 01/19/04 10:33 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Yes I think that soft synths have a bright, a very bright future ahead of them, It would be great to have one keyboard as a host (with a dedicated OS), running various softsynths on it, and a new system, like a basic set of controls that every softsynth host has, including arranger controls.
Imagine having various "virtual arrangers" in your host keyboard, just buy one host keyboard, and you can turn it into a synth, a digital piano, an arranger....whatever.
You don't have to buy various synths and modules just to get a new soundset, you just have to insert a cd, install the software, and have a brand new synth.
No more need for buying more hardware, just one machine .
I'm looking forward to it.

Greetz ,
Marcel

#209483 - 01/19/04 10:35 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Dnj Offline

Marcel....Now your talking my fiend!!
I cant wait!!

#209484 - 01/19/04 11:50 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Beakybird Offline

Donny,

I didn't know that Marcel was such a fiend! What kind of fiendish things has he done lately? Or is he a good fiend of yours?

I think to make a softsynth arranger really good, it would have to have a console dedicated to arranging and the ability to accept new sound and style software. Having an optional touchscreen and extra programable buttons would be a plus because then one could create more capabilities as new software comes out.

Beakybird

#209485 - 01/19/04 11:59 AM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I agree, but the odds are it will be done by some unknown company. The big 3 (Yamaha, Roland, Korg) won't built it till they are compelled by the competition to do it. Makes you wonder if they have a secret pac amongst themselves. Ok. I'll go post in alt.conspiracy newsgroup.
Starkeeper

#209486 - 01/19/04 12:59 PM Re: Will all this DISSAPPOINTMENT Lead to Software Synths & Controller KB
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
I think the reason we don't have a soft synth arranger yet is because of weak software. Why would a soft synth arranger need a super powerfull pc? The keyboard mfg don't use powerfull chips, but they are not running windows. What is required is an O/S dedicated to music and ONE piece of software that runs the styles and the voices. The software could be configured to use various buttons on a controller that are not strictly MIDI controls, so that you don't have to use the notes on the keyboard for variations, start/stop, etc.
I think the Ekco is on that right track, although it's not an arranger. If a few more msg jump in, increase the innovation, and lower the price, we will have what we want.
I haven't heard anyone say the organs on their keyboards are better then N.I.B4. soft synth. Makes you wonder.
Starkeeper

Jos Maas already has the first half of the equation right. If only someone would take something like OMB and add a dedicated softsynth to it, you'd have a real software arranger that does not have to have every style or every patch tweaked to make it sound good. I wann tweak my synth sounds so I can make them stand out, but I don't need or want to have to tweak the basic rythym parts to get it to sound good.

I don't necessarily agree with you Star that the "big 3" won't get heavily involved. Korg has already gone "soft" with the new legacy collection, and if you read the news on the Motifator site and it's "lament" against soft synths vs hardware, it appears that the Yamaha designers are already conceding that there is a general trend toward softsynths that will not retreat, and that a future succesor to the Motif / Es will incorporate the technology. Roland is introducing it into their external hard disk recorders. The "big 3" already know....

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-19-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online