SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164164 - 10/31/03 06:08 PM using styles
to the genesys Offline

Hi every one this is my first posting on the General Arranger Keyboard Forum. You all may have covered this topic before but I wanted to know what is the prevailing view on using factory styles from an arranger in a recording. Is there a royalty question there?

And I am not just talking about using the whole style but also just using 1 or 2 tracts of a style and incorporating it in your own song.
I guess the same questions can be asked of arpeggios.

I am also curious as the how do the programmers of these styles feel about persons using the styles or part of a styles that they created in a recording that could be a hit song?

Hope this new thread is not a repetitive one.

#164165 - 10/31/03 07:46 PM Re: using styles
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While the topic has been discussed dozens of times, I don't believe that anyone has really come up with a definitive answer--one that would hold up in a court of law. And, from everything I've read so far, this varies from country to country. Ironicaly, just today I heard a song on a local jazz station that I am positive was created using a specific Yamaha style and more than likely a Tyros. The sound sounded great, but as to the legality issue, I'm just not sure, and I don't believe this has ever been tested in the courts.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#164166 - 10/31/03 09:15 PM Re: using styles
trtjazz Offline

I have read statements both from Yamaha and Korg that said you can use the styles in any way you choose for the creation of YOUR OWN ORIGINAL music. The thing they consider to be a copy write infringement is using their styles in another companies keyboard, i.e. conversions.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#164167 - 11/04/03 01:03 PM Re: using styles
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
The Styles are copyrighted, but at Yamaha we feel that you paid for a keyboard full of useful tools. You can and should be using these Styles in your original music. When we hear one of our Styles on the radio, that is a success story. The only thing we like better that hearing one of our Styles on the radio, is to hear you guys talking about hearing our Styles on the radio. So Gary, what song and what Style?

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online