SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#178524 - 10/13/03 01:19 PM Got a Flu Shot today !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just got a flu shot today. As self employed musicians, most of us don't have the benefit of 'paid sick leave', so really can't afford canceling those eseential high paying Christmas/New Years holiday gigs due to illness. To act as an insurance preventative, I routinely get a flu shot (every year) which (so far) has successfully kept me from coming down with the flu, and which can keep you out of commission for up to 2 weeks. The only downside is that flu shots don't protect againest the common cold. - Scott

#178525 - 10/13/03 01:41 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott Ditto. I also got my flu jab today. Now being retirement age its free in the UK.
I am expecting the jab to make me feel under the weather for 2 days, but may be not.

Graham UK

#178526 - 10/13/03 06:24 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
I am expecting the jab to make me feel under the weather for 2 days

Graham: My shot wasn't free as I'm still quite a few years away from retirement, but still think it's worth the cost to help insure against catching the flu as I also perform for & around older people and would hate to unintentially transmit it to them as well. Graham, I hope & trust your post shot symptoms are minimal, as (for myself) other than feeling a slightly sore where the nurse jabbed me (in the shoulder) I'm feeling no noticeable effects from my flu shot this year, as in some past years, I've felt under the weather for a couple days.

I'm curious now how many other people here get annual flu shots (or not) and what kind of reactions (if any) you've experienced.

Scott

#178527 - 10/13/03 06:29 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Dnj Offline

Scott,

Good move ..I'm getting my shot tommorow. makes sense!!

#178528 - 10/13/03 07:00 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Learned my lesson 3 years ago. 12 days of feeling miserable with sweats, chills, sore throat, etc. I had to cancel two jobs and the others I did do were a real struggle. Every year since then, I am first in line to get the shot..and so far, so good.

Unless you have allergies that prohibit you from getting the shot...or want to wear a Michael Jackson mask...I highly recommend taking the precaution.
Eddie

#178529 - 10/13/03 07:11 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I have gotten Flu shots for the last several years and have had no adverse reactions to any of them. Count my blessings, right? I've heard some people get sicker when taking a Flu shot than they actually get when they get the Flu!! So if you know you're predisposed to adverse reactions from immunization shots like Flu shots you're better off to consult your Doctor first before getting one. One type of situation where you could become adversely affected from a Flu shot is if you have Asthma or Asthma type related symptoms. If you have any respiratory type illnesses please use caution if and when you get a Flu shot. Always check with your Doctor before doing so is my advice.

PS: I get 'free' Flu shots. But for those who have to pay; if you scour around you can find them for as little as $7.00, at least in the area where I live. I'm pretty sure you could find that price anywhere in the Nation especially since the AMA is now promoting Flu Shot immunizations for a wider age category, - even for young people - (at half the normal dose though). I too think they're well worth it. Since taking the Flu shots I've not had the Flu.

Another interesting note: It is better to take a Flu shot later in the Season because if you take it early in the Season you may not be protected 'throughout' the entire Flu season and thus it could result in you getting the Flu in the latter part of the Flu season because the effectiveness has worn off.

Best regards,
Mike

#178530 - 10/13/03 07:23 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Never had one. Never missed aday's work because of illness.
Honest.
(Worked through some wicked pain, but always made it to the end)

#178531 - 10/13/03 08:26 PM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
It is better to take a Flu shot later in the Season because if you take it early in the Season you may not be protected 'throughout' the entire Flu season and thus it could result in you getting the Flu in the latter part of the Flu season because the effectiveness has worn off.

Mike: I too had been wondering about the shot's effectiveness period so asked the clinic RN nurse who administered my shot & she assured me that the shot was designed to last throughout the ENTIRE flu season. On the other hand, I know of people who actually get a second flu shot later on 'mid way' thru the flu season just to be on the safe side. I'm wondering if taking that approach is actually more risky than safe. Here's a a link to more info about the flu and flu prevention shots:
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/flu/Public.htm#When

Scott

#178532 - 10/14/03 12:20 AM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
(Worked through some wicked pain, but always made it to the end)

Invest in some ear plugs?

Seriously though, I also recommend flu jabs.
As a matter of pure coincidence, I am just putting on my coat to visit my doctor for a jab. I get one free every year and always suffer a little for the first few days (with flu!!!)but it soon passes.
Also, here in UK, the Medics are saying that they are experiencing high incidence of severe cold symptoms from their patients and strongly advise that the old (yes,me) get their jabs right away.
FLu can kill as well as making you feel low, so if you can , then have the jab.
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

#178533 - 10/14/03 08:34 AM Re: Got a Flu Shot today !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scotty...
That CDC site you posted put to rest the myth that you can get the flu from the shots. Yes, you can have a reaction for any number of reasons, but the "dead" virus cannot give you the flu.
Eddie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online