SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181644 - 09/27/03 07:54 AM Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I got into this situation where I play the arranger (drum rythms only, left bass, right piano/strings) and the other guy played the bongo or something like that, tall double cylinders type. The person sat next to me and play her heart out. No matter how loud I turn up the keyboard, I still could not hear the drums on the kybd. All I hear is the bongo rythms. And after a while we both gets out of sync. The arranger drums goes one way and the bongos goes the other and I end up following the bongos. It was a big mess and a big headache. Anybody experience this and know how to resolve it.

#181645 - 09/27/03 08:16 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Sometimes it's just a matter of one thing being too loud and the other not loud enough. I had to work out these kinks with my guitar player too. We tried different setups and speaker placements.. etc.. until we got it right. he'd lose the beat, and I'd lose his rythym or.. I'd get distracted by his rythym and lose the arranger's beat too. Fortunately, once we set things up properly we discovered that we can both play in time...

BTW, certain arrangers ( PA80 is one I know of ) can be set up to send out a "click" track independent of the stereo outputs ( it has 4 outputs total ). Perhaps this would help the percussionist ...

Now ..part two.. Skill levels and learning to play in time.. when everyone can hear everything properly and the timing is still off... then tthe next obvious quest6ion is.. can this person keep a beat ? .. I don't know your situation and how well the bongo player plays but if it isn't you going out of sync and the bongo player CAN hear the arranger ( maybe she can't ? ) then..... you get the picture yes ?

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-27-2003).]

#181646 - 09/27/03 08:21 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Program some multi-pads with the bongo patterns, and fire the bongo player! Keep all the money yourself.
DonM

#181647 - 09/27/03 09:52 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
I think, and that is my experience, that if you play your kb using the auto accompagnement or even just the rythm part, it is better not to have a percutionnist or drummer.
Or then the percussionnist will have to follow the machine, very difficult...

#181648 - 09/27/03 11:01 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Might I suggest that you EQ your output differently for stage mix. Remove a lot of the low end bass and brighten the mix, this will allow you to hear the drums easier. You can't stay in rhythm if you can't hear it. Also what someone else recommended about speaker placement, use hotspots or good floor monitors. Also, practice, practice, practice.... Drummers are use to controlling time, and with an arranger or drum machine, they can't unless your arranger has a feature to allow you to tap in time (Tap Tempo) and assign to a pedal, allow the percussionist to control the time this way.

#181649 - 09/27/03 02:29 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The secret to success here is practice. When you're playing with other folks, especially those that have never played professionally in groups, you need to set the levels, then maintain those parameters throughout the gig. Had the same experience several years ago when playing in a country band. The guitar player would drive me nuts. Not only could he not follow the beat, he continuously cranked up the volume on his guitar until the speakers were ready to explode. Once I reached over and unplugged his guitar and for the first 10 or 15 seconds, he didn't know why there was nothing coming out of the speakers. Fortunately, he quit a week later. Don is right--fire the bongo player, keep the money yourself.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#181650 - 09/27/03 03:54 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Vquestor Offline

Following an arranger keyboard or even
a MIDI file by a live musician is not
a difficult task for a real professional.
If the skills are up to the task, then
it is critical to have clear monitoring.For the percussionist,I suggest using in ear phones and have the monitor mix set so the drums are playing a very basic pattern. A nice trick is to use only one ear phone and leave the other ear open so the overall mix can be heard better.
(This way the amateur percussion won't play too loud or they will not hear the ear phone monitor and get lost.)
You obviously have a very amateur bongo player. You referred to the percussionist as a him and her? If it's a girl, she had better be great looking or fire her. If it's a man, get rid of him immediately!

#181651 - 09/27/03 03:56 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For my pro gigs, I make it a point to never bring on new musicians unless:

1) I've had the opportunity to audition and hear them play with a band (group) before.

2) I've rehearsed with them.

3) I've received an unequivical 'thumbs up' re their musicship from a fellow respected musician associate.

Both the range & idea of what constitutes good musicianship means different things to different people. Some people sound good playing by themselves only, but sound terrible when playing in a group. Arranger keyboard players have the unique opportunity to develop the 'timing' skills required for playing in a band (group) situation. Unforutnately many other solo musicians never get that kind of exposure.

In arranger keyboard playing, the auto accomp's BASS & DRUMS parts supply the rhythm section's core foundation in which all other instruments (LIVE musicians) must LOCK in with. Some people mistakenly believe the drummer is the leader of the rhythm section, but this is incorrect. It's in fact the Bass player's job (not the drummer's) to lead the rhythm section, with the other rhythm section instruments (drummer, perccussionist, keyboard rhythm section player) to lock in with the Bass line.

This being said, when picking up musicians for my arranger kb gigs, I prefer to hire non rhythm section instrument musicians: sax, flute, brass, guitar, female vocalist.

Scott

#181652 - 09/28/03 09:36 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Anonymous
Unregistered

well said scott - I luckily have a friend/neighbor who does super vocals and guitar, who can rock with me and my arranger/keyboard, with no problems.

Jammed with another band a month ago, and WOW - guess I'm spoiled, most of the group could not keep up, hold a rhythym, etc.

I agree, get rid of the bongo player if you can, and do it yourself!

Jill

#181653 - 09/28/03 09:39 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Some people mistakenly believe the drummer is the leader of the rhythm section, but this is incorrect. It's in fact the Bass player's job (not the drummer's) to lead the rhythm section, with the other rhythm section instruments (drummer, perccussionist, keyboard rhythm section player) to lock in with the Bass line.

Scott

Scott,
I agree with all your points, but this
one is a "chicken or the egg" argument.
It is the job of the ENTIRE rhthym section
to lock in and play TOGETHER. A good bass
player and drummer will lock into each
other- no one is necessarily "leading"-
it is an "interaction" that is fine tuned in
a matter of milliseconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry