SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163604 - 09/12/03 10:04 AM Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
UD,

I picked up a Tyros about the same time you did, just wondering what your thoughts were on it?

Vocalizer, styles, sounds, ease of use, is it a keeper, would you rather go to the new korg based on the track record of you pa80, how does it compare with Ketron and Roland?

you seem to have the same thoughts on boards as I do, (kind of scares me)

#163605 - 09/13/03 01:03 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Frankie,
The Tyros is the easiest to use that I ever had. That's typical of Yamaha, though.
I think the Korg will have to really be a winner to make me shell out those kind of bucks for it. Remember - this is just my studio controller, not my live rig. I won't take anything out without speakers again. Too much wasted time on the small jobs.
( gigs )hee hee....

As for keeping it...... don't bet on it. I have no love affair going, and it's just a set of black & whites at the moment. I DO like having the newest stuff here when clients come to record. It makes me look like I have friends in high places.

Based on what I've heard so far between the 9kPRO vs the Tyros:

key action - Pro
sounds - even
styles - Ty(3x the styles)
control - even (edge to Ty for fillins)
expandability - Pro - no contest
Looks - tough...jury's still out
Mic/harm - seems to be even
Size - Pro has better use of real estate
weight - Duh ....... TY !!!!

One voice I'm very disapointed with is the clarinet. I loved the voice on the Korg, the Ketron and the Roland....but Yamaha has a strange treatment of this sound. And what's REALLY weird is that I PLAY a Yamaha clarinet ! I have a Yamaha flute also.
(I used to be a woodwind player before keys became more important) I love their orchestral instruments, just can't figure why I can't buddy up to the clarinet sound in the keyboards. Hmmmm.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 09-13-2003).]

#163606 - 09/13/03 01:14 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I forgot, what are you using live these days?

#163607 - 09/14/03 12:34 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Uncle Dave Offline

Um....I'm kind of embarrased to admit it - a PSR2100. (There, I said it)

Tonight was the best test of the 21oo that I've done so far, and it was fine. I did find one really, really cool feature that I absolutly LOVE - The opening that holds the music rack is a great place to keep busines cards ! It faces them at the crowd, and puts them right within their reach, when they come up to talk to you ! Very cool indeed. One more reason to memorize those tune folks !
(Or use a laptop, at least !) No more books on stage !

The rhythms were a pleasure to experiment with tonight - much more solid, and dancable than the PA80. It's amazing how many more songs I tried because of the better (simpler)patterns. I was pulling songs out of my hat left and right, all night. Some stuff I haven't done in YEARS ...... came off without a hitch. I'm not happy trying to adjust to the key feel, but I was kind of forced into this rig because of the PA80/Tyros trade. I had to make that move.
$$$$$$
So far, both boards are holding their own. I will not be making any changes till well after the 1st of the year. This is when I get really busy, so I refuse to distract my self with new learning curves.

Place your bets - Here's my statement:

I (state your name...) will NOT buy a new keyboard until the end of this winter/holiday season. No matter what come out.

.....did I just say that??????

I'm really going to try, anyway. Maybe Jerry (Mainer) and I will swap the 7k/Ty in a month or so .... we'll have to wait and see. I kind of like having the same architechure in the studio and on stage. The Ty is very close to the 21k, so the switching is easy.

Time for some shuteye ..... G'night world.

#163608 - 09/14/03 06:21 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I hear ya on the simpler rythyms.. The PA80 styles sound more realistic to me vs their Yamaha counterparts, BUT, I find them to be more "song specific" and limiting for live use. They are also busy at times to the point where I have to set them up with some parts turned off. The good news is I can do that with the style "write to disk" function and do not have to save those changes in a registration ( performance ) .

I can't overcome the poor key feel of the 2000, and I don't think the 2100 is much better if at all. It just affects my playing too much. Mind you, I'm a synth player, not a pianist, so hammer weighted is no good either, but I can do fine with the feel of the PA80 and Motif. Heck, I played the "MD1700" ( a casio wk1800 clone )in Radio Shack yesterday and the key feel was very good vs the 2000 series. At 76 keys with a decent key feel, the thing would make a nice controller, but the sounds of course were pretty much pitiful.

AJ

#163609 - 09/14/03 06:43 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup.Lousy keys.....again. I'll see how long it takes to make me nuts !

#163610 - 09/14/03 09:19 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
UD
I have a pal who hated the feel of any synth keyboard having trained on accoustic piano. He used to put plasters (Band-aids) on the ends of each of his fingers before he played and said it made a huge difference!
Just a thought As I am determined to get you to love that Ty
Very best to you
Tony

------------------
http://the-ant.2ya.com

[This message has been edited by Tony W (edited 09-14-2003).]

#163611 - 09/14/03 01:37 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
This week I am taking out the PSR2100..It is Irish week at Wildwood NJ. I have to get Dave to rig a laptop holder for my X stand[My G1000 has room to sit the laptop on it]..I will be able to utilize the mic/ harmonizer on this job..We have a sound crew, so I can travel light...This gig is outdoors under a huge tent, as was the past weekend[firemens week]...There was so much moisture in the air on Friday that after I packed up the next day I opened the case and my G1000 was covered with moisture[make that soaked]..I will not do that again[abuse a G1000]...I will risk a Yammy[a dime a dozen, ]..This should be a big show and I will rely on the laptop for the most part..but will have some fun with the 2100 goodies[drum remix and some vocal harmonies]..

#163612 - 09/14/03 02:13 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, it brings tears to my eyes.

#163613 - 09/14/03 04:05 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what are your thoughts on the Tyros so far?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"I (state your name...) will NOT buy a new keyboard until the end of this winter/holiday season. No matter what come out." YADA-YADA-YADA! Anyone that believes this obviously still believes in the Tooth Fairy.

Fran, sounds like you're beginning to like the 2100, even though you won't admit it. Other than the keys, I believe Dave may like his as well. Don't know, though...Hmmmmm.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online