SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#155155 - 09/09/03 04:27 PM WHY!!!
asena Offline

Loc: Malmoe
HI all!

I got a question hope you guys can advise me.
I,m planing to buy a new KB this month and i cant find any word to tell you how dissepointed i ,m on the manufacturers as KORG GEM YAMY & others.
The real musician needs so much he can got from hes Instrument/KB .(Expensive)KB.
Genessys from gem only 64 voices no good sample options only 8 meg of sampling!!!
No good design !!!
Tyruss the new old Yamy good design no sampling at all.HHHMMMM!!!
And the new KORG PA 1 X.
64 voices!!!Why.
its gonna cost like 4000 euros in SWEDEN but just 32 meg sampling max.I also wonder why so expensive synth & KB,s when the PC market is goin to be cheper and cheper.A 52 X CD burner cost just 50 euro.
Please tell me if i,m wrong!
I heave pa 80 and i like it .Easy to use good sounding & many styles sounds to download.Just 6,5 meg sampling !!!Killing me!
Has any one tested PA 1X!If so is it a new killer.What about ROLAND!ANY NEWS???or ZZzzzz!!!???

TNX!

#155156 - 09/09/03 06:52 PM Re: WHY!!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Asena,

64 polyphony on GEM sk880 is very good. I never ran out of polyphony and my songs are very complex and rich.

On sk880, in addition to the 8 megs of backed ram, one can also add 16 megs of non-backed ram. I do not know if this can be done for Genesys, or how much RAM can be added if it can be done.

You are correct that one cannot extend the 8-megs battery-backed ram, but maybe one can add non-battery backed memory modules (it just will not be backed).

One thing remarkable however, is that there is no ROM in Genesys but Flash. In other words, it is possible that you sample your own voices on a dedicated sampler or virtual sampler on a computer and then add them to Genesys permanently. That is an excellent feature. So maybe this feature, if I am describing it correctly, can true more than susbstitue to any ram.

However, All future keyboards will have at least 128 polyphony and more rom/ram.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 09-09-2003).]

#155157 - 09/09/03 08:23 PM Re: WHY!!!
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:

However, All future keyboards will have at least 128 polyphony and more rom/ram.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 09-09-2003).]

How can you be sure?

#155158 - 09/10/03 09:37 AM Re: WHY!!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Alex,

What I meant is that in the future, top arrangers will move to 128 polyphony. So I wouldn't be surprised that Genesys-2 will have that. How can I be sure? Reasonable extrapolation by seeing how 8 polyphony keyboards moved to 16 to 32 to 64.

Furthermore, in the particular example, GEM is already utilizing chips that uses more polyphony and so it is reasonable to expect that future top arranger GEM keyboards will utilize the latest chips. Not that they will necessarily be 384 polyphony (it is possible) but 128 polyphony is reasonable.

I hope this better clarifies it to you.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online