SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207910 - 08/21/03 01:01 PM How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I just bought a keyboard mic stand from ON-STAGE and try out the mic while playing keyboard and I could not get rid the feedback noise even with the on-board speakers only.

Any ideas ? Is there a mic setting I need to tweak ?

Thanks

#207911 - 08/21/03 01:55 PM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
What type of Mic are you using? If you have an omni-directional Mic, a "Dynamic" Mic, it will have more of a tendency to pic up other sounds around you,-(side, behind); an example would be your PSR 2000's 'internal speakers' sound. A Condenser Mic such as a Cardioid or Super Cardioid Mic will have less of a tendency to pick up other sounds around you plus they can achieve a higher gain before feedback occurs.

Make sure the Mic Stand with the "Mic" attached to it is not placed too close the PSR's internal speakers. Other things to check is the 'Gain' knob on the back of the PSR 2000. The general rule with me is to never set it beyond roughly 2/3rd's of Max volume. Another thing to check is the Mic Volume on the bottom of the PSR 2000's LCD display. I set that Mic volume to usually no more than Vol: 90. Another recommendation is when you use your Mic with the Mic Stand make sure the Mic is evenly spaced between both of the PSR's internal speakers and again not right on top of the speakers. Keep the Mic a couple of feet away 'back' behind the Keyboard where your piano bench should be.

Best regards,
Mike

#207912 - 08/21/03 03:21 PM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
lukitoh Offline

BUMP

#207913 - 08/21/03 05:53 PM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
lukitoh Offline

I checked the mic and it says "dynamic". It was used for a karaoke machine previously.

I did everything you told me except changing the mic. The feedback is there. The only thing to reduce it is to turn the mic volume on the mic settings screen way way down to around 40.

#207914 - 08/21/03 11:05 PM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds as if you have a really bad "karaoke" mic. I would try a different mic. It doesn't have to be expensive. Behringer sells one for about $30. that works very well.
I generally use Shure SM58, if I'm plugging directly into the keyboard. I use Shure condenser mic if I use a mixer with phantom power. I have also used the Behringer, and it is quite close to the SM58.
DonM

#207915 - 08/22/03 04:19 AM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
Mistered4111 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Don

Do you have any problems with the music(especially bass and drums) feeding back thru the Mic and causing distortion? If you do how do you eliminate this problem?

Thanks for any help

Ed

#207916 - 08/22/03 08:45 AM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've sung through my kb speakers for over 10 years, and I never, ever get feedback. It's a matter of placement, balance and technique. Make sure the mic is facing up at you, and not DOWN toward the speakers. Make sure the balance is not lopsided, and make sure that you set the volume so that you need to be close to the mic to get a good signal. If it's too loud...it's be nothing but trouble. Sing bewteen 2 inches and "touching" distance to the mic for best results. I never get feedback, and i never use comressors or gates either. I don't like the coloration they introduce in a live setting. In the studio ..... another story.

#207917 - 08/22/03 08:55 AM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
DonM Offline

I don't have much problem with feedback. You need to set the mic so that you must be close to it, as Dave said. If low end is feeding back, you need to roll off some of the lows on the mic. Most people have too much low e.q. on their mics anyway, and it gets muffled.
Point the end of the mic directly toward you mouth. It irks me to see people try to sing over the top of it, like they are licking the side of an ice cream cone. This defeats the characteristics of the mic.
Each mic may have to be adjusted quite differently. I have a cheap cordless mic (Nady), that I must turn the high e.q. way up and cut the bass way down to make it sound acceptable.
DonM

#207918 - 08/22/03 09:05 AM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I have the opposite experience with condenser mics. An Audix ..10 something (!) endorsed by "famous" people pricy$$$$ caused me nothing but trouble. With EV N/D967 though, you could practicably put the mic inside the speaker, it won't cause you feedback, I promise you. Plus, it has texture and definition. Highly recommended!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#207919 - 08/22/03 09:18 AM Re: How to adjust mic setting PSR2000 to avoid feedback ?
DonM Offline

Several others have had good experience with that mic. I haven't tried it.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online