SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196834 - 08/03/03 04:08 PM My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Guys. I bought a samsung 252b cd writer yesterday. It copies everything mp3,wav, etc but it doesnt recognise midi. How do i make the cd writer burn my midi songs to cd. Or is there a way on the internet to convert the midi songs to mp3 format so that it will work. I'm useless at this ...somebody please advise me!!

#196835 - 08/03/03 04:45 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
rolandfan, you say your CD Writer doesn't recognize Midi so I am assuming your just trying to copy midi songs you made on your Keyboard to a CDR-CDRW disk by way of a Computer and the Samsung. You have to make sure if you are using a CD-"RW" disk that you format the disk so you can read and write to it. Same goes for a CDR if you are trying to copy the Midi's to the Samsung by way of Windows Explorer/My Computer. If you are trying to copy them within an External Program, eg., Easy CD Creator, Nero Burning ROM, etc. it should be a fairly simple process. I am not familiar with the Samsung 252b but if you just bought it yesterday it sounds like it's a new product vs. old product (technology wise). If it is a newly released product I don't understand why it's not reading 'recognizing' the .Mid files.

Give us a little more idea of what's going on, ie., "explain yourself better if you can".

A more thorough solution is to record your Midi's by way of your Main Outputs from the Keyboard= (Playing the Midi file on the Keyboard then running the signal into your Computer either by routing the signal to a Mixer first then outputting the Mixer Signal to the Computer.) Inputing the signal into your "Sound Card" from the Mixer or just from the Main/Aux Outs of your Keyboard, eg., to a Sound Blaster Audigy, Delta 44/66PCI, Layla Card, etc. "whatever sound card that you have that allows you to do this." Then recording that signal with a Multi-Tracking Software Recording program such as Pro Tools, Sound Forge, Cool Edit Pro, N-Track Studio, etc. The Midi file will be recorded as a .Wav file by the Recording Software. After that is accomplished then you would convert the .Wav file into the .MP3 format with a Ripper/Converter sofware program, eg., Lame Encoder, dBpowerAMP, FreeRip MP3 Version 1.21, etc. After you convert it to .MP3 you could then transfer it to your CDR-/RW disk.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mike

#196836 - 08/03/03 05:11 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
rolandfan Offline

you say your CD Writer doesn't recognize Midi so I am assuming your just trying to copy midi songs you made on your Keyboard to a CDR-CDRW disk by way of a Computer and the Samsung

Yes.lol.that is what i trying to do

Idatrod I am using Nero 8.0 and CDR. I sold my keyboard a while ago Thought I'd compile my own cd since I got all my songs stored on my computer.

Besides Nero I dont have any software : ( I was hoping all i would need was nero but its not enough.

I checked on google.com now and found out that you cant copy a midi file to cd. It has to be converted to WAV or MP3 and then copied ..lol..and there are no free software programmes out there to do that.

#196837 - 08/03/03 05:49 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, there is a free program called midi2wav which I downloaded a few years ago. While the program worked, it was not as good as some of the other's such as Cakewalk.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 08-03-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196838 - 08/03/03 06:26 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
Idatrod Offline

Glad to see I got a chuckle out of you rolandfan. Ha, Ha, Ha, LOL.. I was just trying to state the obvious to try and get on the same playing field as you're on rolandfan. Now that we are, I can now proceed.

Let me proceed by disputing and debunking your Midi to CD theory. PS: "Not all information on the internet is fact or necessarily true". We have to weed through the muck to find the truth to what we're looking for whether it be Midi to CD questions or anything at all. But like anybody, I too don't research things oftentimes like I should.

Now back to the case in point. Just a few minutes ago I "copied" 4,369 Midi files "155 mb's worth" on my Computer- (that were just lying around ) to a CDR Disk via Windows Explorer. I first had to format the CDR disk with my Direct CD software program which took about 15 seconds to do. Then I simply opened Windows Explorer and pasted the Midi files I had accumulated and wanted to transfer, to the CDR; which all told took under 5 minutes to do, ie., 155 megabytes of Midi file data to the CDR by way of my CD Writer.

Next question???

In other words it can be done rolandfan.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 08-03-2003).]

#196839 - 08/03/03 08:10 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,
The way it sounds to me is he wants to play the midi files on a CD player--not just save the data. Then again, I could be wrong!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196840 - 08/03/03 08:33 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
Idatrod Offline

Ah Ha! By jove I think you got it Watson!! errr, Gary! Well if that's the case, then yes, to play the Midi's on a CD Player you would need to convert them to Wav then MP3. And only 'some' CD Players would be able to play them, ie., "the newer ones" that read CDR/RW disks.

I'm sorry to say your between a rock and a hard place rolandfan. There is nothing out there that I know of to convert Midi to Wav 'accurately'. There is a program called Midi2Wav but don't even think about downloading it because it is basically worthless software. It is only Monophonic and it does not convert Midi to Wav with any where near accurate results.

So I am sorry to inform you that you will have to buy a Keyboard (Arranger Keyboard is preferred ). Something with a Floppy Disk Drive and Main Outputs L/R-Mono/R so you can run the signal to your computer then record it to Multi-Track Software. Then download a free MP3 Converter software and convert the files to MP3, "THEN burn it to CDR".

I am not sure if Yamaha's DGX 500 has Main Outputs, "I don't think it does now that I think about it." A PSR 1100 has Main Outputs and a Floppy Disk Drive. Of course there's always the PSR 2100 too.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 08-03-2003).]

#196841 - 08/03/03 09:08 PM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
Arbaz Offline

just burn the CD as data CD and add as many MIDI files you like..

#196842 - 08/04/03 02:21 AM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Regarding Midi to Wave... I did this a while ago (to build myself a practice CD - I got sick of pressing all the buttons)

I wrote myself a utility to playback Midi Files and automatically capture the audio (to WAV files with the same name as the midi file). Its in Visual Basic and a bit rough-and-ready but it usually works.

It works using the Multimedia interface of Windows. I think this means you have to set up the Midi Mapper to ensure that the program sends out the midi commands on the correct port.

Anyway all my program does is the following:

* Make a list of midi files
* Specify an output directory for the WAV files
* Select "GO" and the following process occurs:

1. Cue up WAV file to record to
2. Cue up Midi File
3. Start WAV file record
4. Start Midi File playback
5. Wait for Midi File completion
6. Wait a further couple of seconds (to let reverb etc die away)(I'm noit sure this works - my wave files stop a little abruptly)
7. Stop WAV file capture

Repeat 1..7 for each file.

You have to set up the recording levels beforehand using whatever Mixer is available; you can test levels using any Wave recording facility and there's usually something provided with the soundcards. And doesnt Windows have something?

If this is of any use send me an e-mail. I'll try to de-tox it some more before sending it out!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 08-04-2003).]

#196843 - 08/04/03 11:18 AM Re: My CD writer will not burn the midi songs i do on my keyboard HELP!!!!
rolandfan Offline

Gary,thats exactly what i want to do.....be able to put my songs on cd to listen to...and make copies for my friends naturally lol.

Idatrod, cant I drill through the rock ?

MacAllcock I have emailed you..thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online