SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174627 - 07/22/03 08:43 AM kbd junkie looking to add to collection
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Hey guys,

I am considering adding Yamaha to my kbd collection. I play mostly for self-entertainment, some church work, and hopefully, in the future, playing nursing homes, parties, etc. Right now I own a Technics KN7000 and a Roland VA7. I've spent time on the Yamaha Tyros and PSR2100...both which have great sounds and different styles from my other 2 boards. I know the 2100 doesnt have the megavoices, but it's also a LOT less than the Tyros. Any advice on which one to buy, or possibly another board that would round out my collection?

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#174628 - 07/22/03 08:56 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tim...
You can't go wrong with a PSR2100. And, if you don't need the extra user memory of the 2100, you may be able to pick up a sweet deal on the 2000. It has proven to be a real work-horse for me.
Eddie

#174629 - 07/22/03 09:00 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Tim,
You have a top-of-the-line Technics arranger and a top-of-the-line Roland arranger!! Why not give your GAS a rest?
How about a good stereo keyboard amplifier like the Motion Sound KP200S or a good microphone. If you like the PSR2100 styles, convert them to work in your KN7000.
Starkeeper

#174630 - 07/22/03 10:24 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Tim,
Why not give your GAS a rest?
Starkeeper

?????? ?????
t.

#174631 - 07/22/03 11:15 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
GAS acronym for Gear Accumulation Syndrome.
Starkeeper

#174632 - 07/22/03 04:05 PM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tim,
from one keyboard junkie to another,
I also have the KN7 & VA7, and I also have the Yamaha 9000Pro.
A Yammie would be a good addition to your collection. Depending on whether you actually play your keyboards live ( using the arranger) or whether you use sequences/midifiles and play along to them, have you considered using the kn7's sd card audio capabilities.
ie you can create backing tracks on any keyboard, save them as mp3's to your sd card, and play along.
I'm mainly using my 9000pro as a sound source ( which is total waste of a great keyboard) for my XG Works sequencer.
I'm creating backing tracks using xg works & psr .sty files, and recording them as audio files using the pro as my sound source. I then save them to sd card also.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
Hey guys,

I am considering adding Yamaha to my kbd collection. I play mostly for self-entertainment, some church work, and hopefully, in the future, playing nursing homes, parties, etc. Right now I own a Technics KN7000 and a Roland VA7. I've spent time on the Yamaha Tyros and PSR2100...both which have great sounds and different styles from my other 2 boards. I know the 2100 doesnt have the megavoices, but it's also a LOT less than the Tyros. Any advice on which one to buy, or possibly another board that would round out my collection?

Tim

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#174633 - 07/22/03 06:04 PM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Tim,
How about a nice Ketron/Solton X1. I have one for sale on Synthzone at http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum29/HTML/001136.html

Thanks,
Deaton

#174634 - 07/25/03 08:28 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
CoasterTim Offline

Thanks to you who threw in your suggestions. I am leaning toward adding the 2100 to my collection. It seems like a lot of kbd for the money. According to one of the salesmen at their King of Prussia store, Sam Ash is having a 'Midnight Madness Sale' on the 31st when they will be offering 15mo. no payments no interest. Sounds really tempting to me!
Tim

#174635 - 07/25/03 08:34 AM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
CoasterTim Offline

Rikki,

I wanted to thank you for the brainstorm you initiated in my head! Why didn't I think of that! Transfering other kbd sequences to the SD card and then adding on using the KN...oh the possibilites!

Thanks
Tim

#174636 - 07/25/03 06:34 PM Re: kbd junkie looking to add to collection
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tim,
other keyboards isn't your only option, I also have Acid Pro which can incorporate audio loops into an audio sequence ( haven't had the time to use it yet), members have even recorded their voices to sd card, basically anything that can be plugged into the audio in of the kn7 can be recorded as a wav file using the kn7 as the sound card. The only thing you may need to get if you don't already own it is the Panasonic SD Audio Writing kit.

The other things I play around with are software ie Band in a Box, Jammer Pro 5
XG Works. These programs all have the capability of creating songs ( backing tracks) very simply ie type in chord progression, add style parts. BIAB & Jammer have their own format, wheras XG Works can utilize PSR styles.
All I do with xg works is type in the chord progression, pick one of the psr styles. I then type in the parts ie intro, main, fills etc it creates an arrangement, I then turn turn them into midi tracks, edit if necessary save as midifile, load it into my kn7 and pick new voices.

I hardly use the other 2 keyboards anymore except to create audio backing tracks. The main reason I still keep them is that they're probably not worth much second hand.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoasterTim:
[B]Rikki,

I wanted to thank you for the brainstorm you initiated in my head! Why didn't I think of that! Transfering other kbd sequences to the SD card and then adding on using the KN...oh the possibilites!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online