SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#219661 - 07/15/03 08:07 AM Using harmonizers more effectivly
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been using vocal harmony since the first Digitech made it affordable to do so.
It was a tabletop model called the VHM-5, I think. (The Eveentide was WAAAAY out of my reach in the 80's!)

In my experience, the most common misuse of the instrument lies within these few techniques:

1) OVERuse. Don't just set it and forget it. Think like a vocal arranger, and make it pretty.

2) Adjust volumes. When one voice is singing, it stands to reason that it will be lower in volume that with 4 or 5, right? When you kick the "on" button for a full ensemble...... back off of the mic a bit. Your PA or mic input will thank you for it, and the balance will be more natural.

3) Sylabalize appropriatly(spelling??)
Singing in a vocal group means listening, blending and doing other little things to make the new product sound good. Listen to the sylables, and make them work as an ensemble. There is no guarentee that something that works as a solo will work as a group. Use you ears. and think like a choir director instead of a kb player.

4) When you're backing a singer: Make sure you set your own lead voice lower in the mix so you can sing oohs and aahs behind the lead voice and not get in the way. If you turn it off altogether, it'll sound phony, but with the right mix .... you can make an awesome background for a strong lead singer. I love when singers show up at my jobs and I can be the backup singers. It's almost too much fun to be the Doo wopper.

5) Lastly ... Effects.
make sure there is not too much or too little effect on the harmonies. Remember .... you're adding as much as 4 voices to the mix ... the potential reverb level can skyrocket ! I sometimes like to lessen the effects on the BG harmonies when I have the option to. It makes a cleaner mix.

Add your tips to this list, and we'll all sound better !

#219662 - 07/15/03 08:34 AM Re: Using harmonizers more effectivly
Dnj Offline

1- A right hand chord trigger will give you a bit more flexability for intricate harmonies versus left hand Triggering which most players use.

#219663 - 07/15/03 08:40 AM Re: Using harmonizers more effectivly
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I agree. It allows me to add passing tones and complex intervals that don't really belong in the backing chord structure. Make for a more realistic approach with complex harmonies. 4 Freshman, Beach Boys type stuff.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online