SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210525 - 06/20/03 03:14 PM Gary's New Setup pics..............
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-20-2003).]

#210526 - 06/20/03 03:29 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary,
Nice, clean lines, BUT......
(there's always a but)
There are two potential "hum-hazzards" in your design.

1) the power cord may cause hum because it is in a tight proximity to the line(signal) cords going into the amp. Usually, it's best to have power cords cross signal cords at a diagnal angle. If there is no hum .... no problem, but that raises a red flag in my mind from past experience.

2) the power transformers are very close to the Digitech, and sometimes, digital gear generates noise when close to transformers. Again - this is from past problems, and is not a hard rule.

If you get noise ...... check those 2 areas first. Other than that - it's a beautiful rig. Take it out and show it off with pride !

#210527 - 06/20/03 03:46 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Welcome to the 'less is BETTER' fan club. I'm sure a it's a LOT easier to transport & quicker to setup & breakdown now. I trust you're attaching the speakers to the tripod stands while the tripod's lying on the floor (on it's side) now, right?

What brand/model keyboard stand are you using? I know you're a singer, but I didn't see a mic stand/boom. Are you utilizing one which attaches directing to the kb stand?

I'm particularly intigued by the custom shelving you designed for your Digitech to hang from, your laptop to sit on, and the nifty shelf area for all the wires to hang out in. In addition to UD's concerns, I also found your integration of the AC power cord with the audio L/R going to the Barbetta's interesting. If you're not getting any hum, congratulations, you've got the idea setup now. - Scott

#210528 - 06/20/03 04:10 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
UD,

The cables I used were all heavy-duty, fully-sheilded, intrument cables, which pretty much eliminated any possibility of audio hum. Additionally, I shortened all the other power cables to the bare minimum, replaced the plugs and made sure that everything was grounded--including the surge protector, which has a ground indicator light. The end result was even at high levels, there was no noticable hum and all the sounds were clean and crisp.

Photo 1. End of the custom speaker cables I made.

Photo 2. The rig viewed from the performer perspective.

Photo 3. The guts of the Lexan shelf. As you can see, everything is very tight and concealed. All power packs, including the one for the computer, are mounted with industrial strength Velcro. A strip light is attached to the front of the shelf and facing down on the keyboard, thereby eliminating the problem of not being able to see the keyboard's buttons in dimly lit venues.

Photo 4. In order to make set-ups easier, I marked the ratchets for the top of the stand to insure they would be at the same location, even when setting up in dim lighting conditions.

Photo 5. To take the strain off the Baretta's plugs, I attached a small hook to the back of the speakers, then attached another hook to the cable with a black cable tie. There is virtually no weight at all on the plugs and connectors.

Photo 6. The view from the shelf's back side, which is somewhat transparent, will soon be covered with a black sign with gold letters edged in bright red saying "Travlin' Easy." As you can see, there are only four cables coming out the enclosure--one for each speaker, one for the footswitch and the main power cord. All those cables are black and the main cables are hooked to the keyboard stand with hooks similar to those used for the speakers.

Photo 7. The completed rig goes out on its first job this Sunday. I'll be performing for a local Korean War Veterans Association and they anticipate about 250 people. Should be fun.

Did a set up in the office, and at the most, it took about 8 minutes. What a difference.

Thanks again Donny and Dave for all your help,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210529 - 06/20/03 04:26 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
The Accordionist Offline

With respect to Photo #4, I never thought about marking my Quik-Lok amp stand! Every time I set up I end up altering the height because it's not perfect. I assume that is just a couple of pieces of white tape, or is it white-out type material?

I do realize that due to the different types of rooms being utilized that one amp setting is not optimal for all venues but in my case it doesn't make much of a difference.

#210530 - 06/20/03 05:21 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

Accordianist,

Just two small pieces of white tape cut in the shape of points. When they're aligned, it's perfect for the stand height and the top shelf.

I also mark the ends of all cables that have the same type and color connectors. Makes setting up a lot easier, especially when you're using a harness.

Scott,

Not a bit of hum, even at higher volume levels.

The keyboard stand is a Quic-Loc, but for the life of me I cannot remember the model. It was the heaviest double-braced stand they make and from the spec sheet, I think you could jack up a pick-up truck with it. If I recall, the stand weighs just over 25 pounds.

As for the mic, I use a headset mic, and while the quality of headset mics are not quite as high as handhelds, the advantages far outweigh the differences. I just ordered a new Samson wireless, which will permit more freedom than I already enjoy with the hard-wired headset.
Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 06-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 06-20-2003).]

#210531 - 06/22/03 04:19 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

well sports fans, the new rig hit the street today and performed beyond my wildest expectations. Everything worked perfectly, dead time between songs was less than five seconds at most, the quality of the sounds were outstanding and set-up up time was approximately 8 minutes. Tear-down time was about the same. What's really wild is the gig was for a local Korean War Veterans Association, and after I played the hymns for the U.S. Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines, back to back, one of the attendees came up and asked if I had a tape of the Coast Guard Hymn. He was aghast when I told him I didn't know the song, and additionally, it was me playing--not tapes. He came up later and requested "I've Got You Under My Skin." When I finished playing it, he complimented me saying "That's the best rendition of that song since I heard Sinatra do it in Vegas." Damn I love this job.

Cheers,

Gary

#210532 - 06/22/03 07:29 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary,
Of all the US service medleys, the coast guard is one of the best. (Not as well known, but still a nice tune)

#210533 - 06/22/03 07:55 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Dnj Offline

#210534 - 06/22/03 09:15 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys, I'll add that one to the medley.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online