SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#187468 - 05/27/03 08:45 AM Bad news at Black Rock:-(
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have information from the horses mouth that the new PSR 2100's USB connection transfer rate borders on the ridiculous for slowness. About 1.5-2.5 kB a second. And of course we all know the PSR 1100/2100 can not be software updated. Whilst Yamaha was able to speed up the USB transfer rate of the Tyros with an OS update, that will not possible with the PSR 1100/2100. People interested in buying the PSR 1100/2100 should take that into account before making their purchase. On a positive note; I heard the sounds are suppose to be very good on the PSR 2100 at least.

Best regards,
Mike

#187469 - 05/27/03 10:12 AM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Why does Yamaha not listen to its users??? That USB speed isn't good. After all the problems and confusion from before regarding the flash upgrading for the PSR-2000, you'd think Yamaha would add it to the PSR-2100. I honestly feel that Yamaha really doesn't give two sh**ts about the arrangers users out there.. They know pros are using them, yet they still fall short. Their marketing strategies are really crappy.. To get something simple on a keyboard you always have to go up a model. A good example: if I want something as small as a modulation wheel for my PSR-550, I have to go up a model and spend considerably more if I want just that feature alone. It's like that for PSR-2000 owners as well. If you want flash upgrading you have to spend a great deal more and buy the PSR-9000, 9000 Pro and so on.... Yamaha has no intention of removing that line between arrangers and synths. They devote all their work on the synths, and just throw the scraps to arranger users. Steve Deming if you read this please explain to us why Yamaha always falls a few steps short with the new arrangers??? Would it have killed them to add flash upgrades, sequencers that looped outside of style recording, and better build quality to their arrangers????

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#187470 - 05/27/03 10:31 AM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
I don't think it's just Yamaha that does things like that.
They have to draw the line some where on each model.
I mean if they put all the best features on the low-end model's
why would anybody buy the hi-end boards. I know I wouldn't.
Just my 2 cents
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#187471 - 05/27/03 11:20 AM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
trtjazz Offline

There's a little more than just a modulation wheeel difference...
PSR550 $500.00 @ Music123
Download Songs from the Internet and Play them through the Keyboard
• 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive Plays and Records Songs to Disk in Standard MIDI File Format
• 61 Regular-sized Touch Sensitive Keys for Expressive Playing
• 16-track Recording Plus Editing Features
• Large, Backlit, Multi-color LCD Display with Full Dot for an Easy-to-Read screen
• General MIDI with MIDI In/Out Provides Computer Connectivity
• 713 Authentic Instrument Voices (219 Panel, 480 XG, 14 Drum), 112 Accompaniment Styles and 3 Custom Styles
• 8MB Wave ROM Adds Realism to Voices
• Stereo 2-way Speakers with Bass Ports Create a Dynamic Sound System
• 14 Drum Kits to Create Percussion Tracks
• Sustain Pedal Jack Assignable to 9 Different Functions
• Music Database

PSR1000 $750.00 @ Music 123
• 61 Regular-sized Touch Sensitive Keys
• Easy Operation with Full dot Large Backlit LCD
• 728 Authentic Instrument Voices (233 Panel, 480 XG, 15 Drum/SFX Kits)
• 169 Accompaniment Styles
• Lyrics Displayed on LCD
• 16-track Sequencer with Extensive Editing Capabilities
• Powerful Recording Function with Step Editor
• Mixing Console with Easy Editing
• Sound Creator
• Music Finder
• One Touch Setting
• Internal Flash Rom
• Stereo 2-way Speakers with Bass Ports Creating a Dynamic Sound System
• Power Adaptor Included
• XG and General MIDI compatibility with MIDI In/Out

sounds like it was worth $250.00 to me, but you choose not to spend it at the time so why the moaning now?

And certainly all companies do that. You want a radio, power windows,power seats, cd player,stereo on and on in the car, extra,extra, extra. On top of which, Yamaha makes and seels more arrangers than anybody, that I have seen. It's my impression that's their bread and butter market. Korg on the other hand makes few and acts like the arranger customers do not exist but love their Triton customers.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 05-27-2003).]

#187472 - 05/27/03 11:33 AM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
squeak_D Offline

Terry,
I know there are quite a few differences, but what I'm saying is just simple things like the modulation wheel. Look at the Casio WK's.. Both those models have 76 keys and modulation wheels, with slight differences.. Take into account those who buy the PSR-550, and love every feature on it, and feel they don't need all those added features of the upper model.. If they want something as small as modulation wheel they have to pay considerably more for the modulation wheel, and then they get a keybaord with more features than they want. Also if someone just wanted the modulation wheel, they couldn't even go up to the PSR-1000... If they wanted a new model they'd have to go all the way up to the PSR-2000 just for a modulation wheel.. If there is curently any keyboard that should at least have that modulation wheel it's the PSR-1000..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-27-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#187473 - 05/27/03 11:54 AM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Terry,
Look at the Casio WK's.. Both those models have 76 keys and modulation wheels, with slight differences..

You could have purchased a Casio or the PSR 100 if the modulation wheel was of paramount importance.

something as small as modulation wheel they have to pay considerably more for the modulation wheel,

These are not custom order keyboards...uh I just want the modulation wheel, how much?

Also if someone just wanted the modulation wheel, they couldn't even go up to the PSR-1000...

I don't get this...there are 1000's for sale at M123 and they have modulation wheels on them, so what are you saying here?

Terry
[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-27-2003).]

------------------
jam on,

#187474 - 05/27/03 12:06 PM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
squeak_D Offline

Terry,
I don't think the PSR-1000 has a modulation wheel.. It's set up somewhat in the way the PSR-640 differed from the PSR-740. As far as custom order on specs.. With the money you pay some things should be standard on a keyboard..... I feel modulation wheels should be included on models like the PSR-1000. I can understand having it differ with harmonizer, and other features, but something as basic as a modulation wheel. Look at budget synths. They all either have both modulation and pitchbend wheels, or a joystick that does both.

Squeak

#187475 - 05/27/03 01:13 PM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
trtjazz Offline

Squeak,
You're right pitch bend only.....daytrippin' I guess.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#187476 - 05/27/03 10:59 PM Re: Bad news at Black Rock:-(
Beakybird Offline

How fast does the USB need to be when you only have 1.5mb of user memory? Just do the floppy shuffle.

Beakybird

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online