SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155284 - 05/20/03 05:39 PM Uncle Dave's Bottom
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Uncle Dave...

With so much interest in getting the biggest sound with the smallest package, your PA setup, specifically the use of the bass amp for bottom end, is intriging. My sub-woffer search has not found anything under 45 - 50 lbs. I'm guessing your amp is half that weight.

How much bottom does it produce? Mixer sub-out necessary? How does it compare with a dedicated sub? If it comes close, it looks like a good wayta go. Thanks... Glenn

#155285 - 05/20/03 07:06 PM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
zuki Offline

I think that Uncle Dave's bottom is more than 50lbs.
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#155286 - 05/20/03 08:27 PM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll let you know after I visit with him this Thursday.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155287 - 05/21/03 03:57 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gary,
do you mean that you are really going to check HIS bottom?

#155288 - 05/21/03 04:10 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You guys have WAAAAY too much time on your hands.

The GK amp I use for extended bottom end only handles moderate ammounts because of power and box size, but when I need it .... I add a 15" BagEnd cabinet, and it really fills out the bottom end.

I use a Peavy Kosmos processor to add "sizzle" to my overall mix (like a BBE)and it has a dedicated sub output that is rolled off at a very low Hz (not sure what freq), so I can access the bass even if I am not using tops. SOmetime, in a very small setting ..... the kb speakers are "almost" enough to cover a small room, but I still miss that rolling thud that only a bass speaker can produce. Those are the times I use the GK.
As long ago as 25 years or so ...... I was turned on to the bi-amping medthod with the Peavey Tri-Flex speakers, and have been spoiled by dedicated bass ever since !
Even in a passive system (like the TriFlex)- it pays to have the bass speakers JUST do bass. It makes for a smoother sound and allows more headroom to the amp. Bass belongs on the floor, and when you put your speakers up on sticks, you WILL loose some bass response.
I have also used the mono output of my mixer to feed the bass amp with great results in medium settings, and I EQ the amp for best tone with it's own input setting, if a crossover is not available.

It's a judgement call, but over the years I have found that it's BASS, and not volume that makes people want to dance. Pump up the bass, and the dance floor will fill up. Crank up the volume, and all you satisfy are tone deaf kids or drunks with dull senses.
Try it ..... bass MAKES the sound come alive, without becoming overbearing.(unless you WANT it to be)

#155289 - 05/21/03 05:03 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I use an EV Sb121a self-powered 12" sub (300w) that is the same compact size as the EV Sx100 speakers. It does a nice job filling out the sound and really gives punch to the bass and drum sounds. It weighs about 36 lbs. and is very easy to handle.
I agree with UD, bass is the answer, more so than volume. With my sub, I notice only a slight increase in actual volume, but a very big presence of a clean lower end. The end result, I can run the entire system a number down on the volume level and get a better overall result. http://www.electrovoice.com/electrovoice/EVfiles.nsf/lookup/Sb121a/$File/SB121_534930.PDF

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-21-2003).]

#155290 - 05/21/03 05:37 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
Dnj Offline

Another trick I use.....is if you only have 2 regular PA speakers, ans no Sub........ put one up on a pole and one on the floor. This will give you a balanced sound in [some] rooms to cover the room, with more Bass.

#155291 - 05/21/03 06:47 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
At the Eagles the band stand is in the corner of the room about 16 inches off of the floor. There is a built in counter (bar)in front that goes around the front of the band stand. It must be somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2 feet off the floor, or maybe a bit higher.

What I want to know is, if I set the speakers on the bar, will I get the same effect as if I set them on the floor bass wise? Or should I put one on the bar and one on the floor for greater bass response?

I'm assuming that the theory is something solid under the speaker acts as if it were on the floor. No?

Boo

#155292 - 05/21/03 07:03 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Your assumption is correct, but sometimes a raised/hollow stage floor can vibrate too much and give you a mushy sound instead of more bass. If the stage is blocked by a closed in bar/counter, then you have to get everything UP, above the counter. If you're playing for 100 or so, I would think your regular set-up would be just fine. Placing things on the bar would probably be like putting things on chairs or stands. Definitely get your mains sound UP- at or above the counter, unless you have a small/close crowd and don't want to blast them out with direct sound.

#155293 - 05/21/03 08:37 AM Re: Uncle Dave's Bottom
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dreamer: I'm gonna' check his bottom, top and everything between--music equipment that is. One of the best things I've learned over the past half-century about playing music is that there a lot of folks out there who are much better musicians and entertainers that myself. Additionally, I never met anyone that I couldn't learn something from. Everyone on this forum has made life a bit easier for me, especially when it comes to understanding the music/entertainment business. My fondest wish is that one day I'll purchase a winning lottery ticket, tour the world and meet everyone on the forum personally. In doing this, I'll be garnering more information about systems, sounds, styles, performances and be able to share it with others.

Yep, I'm gonna' check out UD's bottom, then head down to check out Donny's rig. They're professionals, and I figure I can learn a lot from both of these highly tallented individuals.

P.S. I'll try to get some good photos to post.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online