SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100340 - 04/08/03 11:56 AM 15" floor monitor opinions?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Trying to keep the price around $300 and looking for something that can handle electonic drums, arranger, midi, and a pretty decent volume, without falling apart

#100341 - 04/08/03 12:02 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best bang for the buck:

Ultrawave B300 Two-Way Active Loudspeaker
Behringer
15" long-throw woofer with high-power magnet and 1.25" titanium HF driver
300W total from dedicated amplifiers with an active, phase-optimized crossover network

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=...l/base_id/53350

They can be set up at different angles and have built in sockets to be put on stands.

[This message has been edited by blink_ers (edited 04-08-2003).]

#100342 - 04/08/03 12:04 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
looks good, but I'm looking for passive

#100343 - 04/08/03 02:01 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been using Peavey SP-5-G's for five years and never had a problem with them. They're tough, sound great, have a wide frequency range and the warrenty is excellent. Take a look at the specs at http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/enclosures/sp5x.cfm and I think you'll agree.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100344 - 04/08/03 03:41 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a general proposition (I understand that it may not meet your specific needs), powered speakers are the wave of the future for two reasons -

1. Less to lug and set up (it's an all-in-one design). Don't need to carry a power amp.

2. There is a perfect match between the power and the speaker which is harder to achieve with separate components.

[This message has been edited by blink_ers (edited 04-08-2003).]

#100345 - 04/08/03 03:44 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just checked the price of the recommended Peavey at the Sam Ash link and it is the same price ($350) as the Behringer!!!

Peavey = no power.
Behringer = includes power.

Same price.

#100346 - 04/08/03 04:17 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
You get what you pay for. Those Peavey SP-5G are bullet proof. When I worked retail we used them after trying every other brand under the sun for rental rigs (where you will be amazed what kind of abuse rental equipment takes) and had no problems ever (except the time someone dumped them in a lake and had to fish them from about 15' of water, and in that case new baskets and they worked great {retail of replacement baskets were about $50.00 a peice at the time).

#100347 - 04/08/03 04:36 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am sure the Peavey's are great. And I agree you get what you pay for.

I visited Behringer at NAMM and was told they are the fastest growing company in the music biz right now. They have a new factory in China that uses the latest management techniques for quality control.

Just suggesting an alternative that is easier on the wallet for some people who are more price sensitive.

But I agree you can't go wrong with Peavey.

#100348 - 04/09/03 04:35 AM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Our meeting last night featured a Beheringer 15" powered cabinet, and the sound was less than stellar. It distorted far too early and the high end was not clear at all. It's a bargain unit that is aimed at the Mackie/Ev buyer, but it does NOT compare. Some of their products are ok, but their powered speakers did not impress me.

#100349 - 04/10/03 12:12 PM Re: 15" floor monitor opinions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The last post does not state the exact model number of speaker or whether it was A-B'ed to other speakers to eliminate room configuration, mic placement, etc. as issues.

Obviously, when it comes to speakers (probably more so than other equipment) opinions will be all over the map.

The best thing to do is go to the store and hear them for yourself.

P.S. I was at the same meeting (with my real name tag on my jacket) and thought the speaker sounded fine.

[This message has been edited by blink_ers (edited 04-10-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online