SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198926 - 04/07/03 12:59 AM Microphone adjustment suggestions please!
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi!
I just purchased a Sennheiser Wireless Headset type Microphone. Real expensive for me. Bought it in Duesseldorf (germany). I find that this MIC gives a lot of booming noise, for example when I sing into it, it lacks clarity and sharpness but is very loud all the same. In comparison, my studiomaster handheld wireless MIC sound reall sharp but that cost me not even half of the Sennheiser. What adjustmants can I make. In my mind, I feel perhaps the sensitivity could be a problem. It is set at present to -20dB. Would decreasing this and the gain on the receiver make any difference. WHAT CAN i do on the mixer as well to get sharpness? I have a studiomaster powerpack 400 DSP powered mixer which drives 2 unpowered 300 watt speakers each.
Also, at present I have bullet tweeters installed on the speakers. I was considering changing to horn tweeters. Would it make any big difference in the sound? PLEEZ HELP!!!
THANX

#198927 - 04/07/03 01:37 AM Re: Microphone adjustment suggestions please!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Booming usually means "too close". I'd move the mic away, also to the side a little.

If its loud thn turn down the input trim perhaps?

Until you get rid of the booming it will be hard to make any other qualitative judgement. Clarity is usually adjustable with eq around 2k (if you have mid controls) whilst you can sharpen the sound with top end eq. However overdo it and you can easily end up in feedbacksville.

Sorry to suggest expenditure but you may find a compressor limiter helps to get around the fact that you can no longer use "tranditional" microphone handling techniques to smooth out the relative level changes s your voice moves through its register (unless your name is Pavarotti, of course). I'm using a budget Behringer AutoCom unit which seems fine.

Tweeters: If by "bullet" you mean "piezo" then ditch them now anyway. When pushed they always "squawk". If you want to stick with piezo I find the newer "powerline" motorola horn units much less harsh.

Bullet versus Horn: Bullets "fire" the sound in a cone about 90 degrees across and are therefore used to throw the sound to the back. Horns spread the sound more (120 deg wide by 60 vertical) and so dont get to the back quite so well but are much more acceptable at close range. If you can only have one or the other then fit horns.

Hope this helps!

#198928 - 04/07/03 03:12 AM Re: Microphone adjustment suggestions please!
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
Booming usually means "too close". I'd move the mic away, also to the side a little.

If its loud thn turn down the input trim perhaps?

Until you get rid of the booming it will be hard to make any other qualitative judgement. Clarity is usually adjustable with eq around 2k (if you have mid controls) whilst you can sharpen the sound with top end eq. However overdo it and you can easily end up in feedbacksville.

Sorry to suggest expenditure but you may find a compressor limiter helps to get around the fact that you can no longer use "tranditional" microphone handling techniques to smooth out the relative level changes s your voice moves through its register (unless your name is Pavarotti, of course). I'm using a budget Behringer AutoCom unit which seems fine.

Tweeters: If by "bullet" you mean "piezo" then ditch them now anyway. When pushed they always "squawk". If you want to stick with piezo I find the newer "powerline" motorola horn units much less harsh.

Bullet versus Horn: Bullets "fire" the sound in a cone about 90 degrees across and are therefore used to throw the sound to the back. Horns spread the sound more (120 deg wide by 60 vertical) and so dont get to the back quite so well but are much more acceptable at close range. If you can only have one or the other then fit horns.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. That has helped. BTW could you suggest some good entry level compressors so that I cud also check on the internet.
Thanx a million

#198929 - 04/07/03 01:21 PM Re: Microphone adjustment suggestions please!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
I would suggest if you can find them, Alesis Nano Compressor or Presonus Smart Compressor. Both work well and are very easy to use.

#198930 - 04/08/03 03:03 AM Re: Microphone adjustment suggestions please!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Glad to help. I use a Behringer Autocom Pro (Model no MDX1400) which I think is now out of production but which was available for 100 pounds sterling. This is pretty transparent. dbx have a good reputation for compressors but also are known to have their own sound (which is either good or bad depending on whether you like it).

Audition any item, preferably using your own microphone.

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 04-08-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online