SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#166259 - 02/07/03 07:12 AM Next question .....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary (travlin'easy) and I started a conversation about this on another thread, so I thought I would lay it out for all of you... What types of venues do you play, and how do you dress ... casual, formal, in-between ... and what is your preference ...
My most recent club/piano lounge gigs (jobs) were a little less formal, so I would wear a dark suit with a dark shirt, and if I wore a tie, it might have a subtle music design to it... If I knew there was going to be a 'special' dinner or group I might wear the tux, sometimes with a black formal shirt ... St Valentine's night coming up ... member's dinner at a local country club ... tux, perhaps with a Pepe Le Pew and Penelope tie, red pocket handkerchef ...
I like the "refined casual" look of the suit/shirt outfit, but there's something about the tux that just gives that extra special feel ... and you???...
t.

#166260 - 02/07/03 07:37 AM Re: Next question .....
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Tonight I play a large private party but most nights I am playing at a fairly large mid-scale restaurant. My dress is hard to describe: maybe upscale-show. For this evening I have a metallic silver shirt that goes under a black leather vest and black pants. Most of my shirts are reflective in some way though sometimes I dress down and wear a fancy black shirt with grey pants. I have a formal tux for the occasions where needed (grand piano gigs usually).

#166261 - 02/07/03 07:49 AM Re: Next question .....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
A lot of mine are formal. Even for "casual" bookings I still try to be smart (in a relaxed sorta way); even family gigs. I find that actually changing out of "casual" stuff helps pschologically; if I dont dress for the occasion the performance never seems as good!

"Refined Casual" is an excellent phrase for the minimum dress standard required!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 02-07-2003).]

#166262 - 02/07/03 07:58 AM Re: Next question .....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Great Thread!!!

Where do you folks buy your band clothes?

Those cool shirts, fancy colors, etc.?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#166263 - 02/07/03 08:14 AM Re: Next question .....
Anonymous
Unregistered

In bars or club gigs I dress very unformally (I used to dress quite formally everywhere, but gave up in these kind of gigs). In private parties or wedding parties I do dress formally, with black pants and black shirt. Very often, also with a white dinner-jacket (in the summer: linen). And because a "picture is worth a thousand words" take a look here (I already took off the jacket): http://vega.estig.ipb.pt/Photo/Photos1/picture-001.html http://vega.estig.ipb.pt/Photo/

-- José.

#166264 - 02/07/03 08:18 AM Re: Next question .....
Anonymous
Unregistered

To illustrate The Pro's style... (bottom of the page) http://www.kingfisherseafood.com/kingfishent.htm

-- José.

#166265 - 02/07/03 08:19 AM Re: Next question .....
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
I find that actually changing out of "casual" stuff helps pschologically; if I dont dress for the occasion the performance never seems as good!

"Refined Casual" is an excellent phrase for the minimum dress standard required!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 02-07-2003).]

Mac .... My sentiments exactly ... Many decades ago the sax player in our group said that as far as he was concerned he never played a wedding or a dinner party ... In his mind he was always on stage in Vegas !!! ... When I go to perform I do not want to be thinking the same as I do when working the day job ... I need to BE a PERFORMER ... How I dress is a big part of that ... even to the point that I get to the site of the gig (job ), get the gear set up, and THEN change into the 'performance' outfit ...changes the whole psyche ...

kbrkr ... I get the 'fancy' stuff at various places... formal wear stores, boutiques, department stores, etc. ... sometimes a shirt you might not think of wearing otherwise will be perfect for performing, especially if 'toned down' a bit with a solid vest as Pro said ... after all, I think the public expects us to be a little 'different' .....
t.

#166266 - 02/07/03 08:26 AM Re: Next question .....
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
As to where you get flashy shirts - black clothing stores are the only place.

#166267 - 02/07/03 08:30 AM Re: Next question .....
tony mads usa Offline

matias .... gotta love the sax players outfit, ... two interesting notes, the guy, David Ross graduated from the same college I went to in my hometown SI, NY, and the 'Ray Cummings Duo' has at least 4 guys in it !!! .....
t.

#166268 - 02/07/03 08:32 AM Re: Next question .....
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Great Thread!!!
Al

...... about 'THREADS'
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online