SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#218313 - 01/30/03 09:00 AM Music Heard 'Round the World !
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Regarding the "where are you located" thread:

I'm near San Francisco, California. We have been having an unusually warm January. I've been riding my bicycle in shorts and a T-Shirt. Even still, snow is just 2-3 hours away in the Sierra Mountains (Lake Tahoe), so we get "the best of both worlds". That, and the fact that we don't get those hot humid summers of the "right coast" of the USA helps explain the astounding prices of homes here....

As I moderate the PSR Songs and Styles Groups I was curious about the geography of our members (we now have a cumulative membership of 4,965 Yamaha Arranger players !!!! [at least I presume they play Yamaha's wink ]. When we reached ~1,000 members I asked where everyone was located and looked at their addresses (the suffix gives you a country name that is typically valid). We then had members in more than 50 countries. It's really nice to be able to communicate and share our music (we exchange our .mid song files in the Songs Group)with so many people in so many different places on our beloved Earth! I encourage people to generate styles for music of THIER ethnic region, and enjoy listening to genres of music from places that I've never heard before.

And, the most amazing thought is that when we receive a .mid from another member, even if they are on the other side of the globe, when we play their song on our PSR Arranger, it is pretty much EXACTLY what we'd hear (aside from minor variances in some model voices) if the far off person were sitting down playing OUR arranger in our house, particularly if they've made a non-sequenced live recording! Just Marvelous!

Cheers,

Bob

#218314 - 01/30/03 09:55 AM Re: Music Heard 'Round the World !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Bob. You are making me envious because I have 3 time the clothing on to cycle here in the UK.

Regarding Midi Files...we take technology for granted now because as you say I can play a midi file or style on my 9000Pro, then send that Style across the world and within minutes another Yamaha owner can be playing that same Style or midi on his board.

Graham UK

#218315 - 01/30/03 12:15 PM Re: Music Heard 'Round the World !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Just to pursue Bob's note about the yamaha-psr-songs and styles group, we also have the possibility to SEE our friends!through the photo database.
Sometimes a good thing, a doubtful pleasure however in some cases
Now I wonder if we could set up the same here on Synthzone?
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info
all mail from this url is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online