SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183863 - 12/06/02 03:10 PM Review TYROS
gerbo Offline

Loc: Vaassen, Netherlands
Hi everybody,

My review about the Tyros

After a long time of playing I came to the conclusion that I have NO regrets that I bought the TYROS.

How the Tyros looks:

The design is very good, in a nice silver color and the attached speakers looks very nice on the keyboard.
Also the layout is well-thought-out and the buttons are solid (no cheap stuff) and the
important buttons are illuminated in nice colors.
The Display is great , sharp, bright, and gives you all the info you need to control the Tyros.
It is also well adjustable in height and in brightness . I really love this display!!!

How the Tyros sounds:

I never had so much fun on playing a keyboard then this time!!
You have 300 styles to choose from and it is great fun to play with them.
Every style has 4 variations and special the SESSIONS and the PRO styles are superb.
With the BASIC styles you have a good combo to play almost every song.
Together with the OTS you have 1200 great registrations to play with.
And that is only the beginning ! Naturally you can program your own registrations
and save then in a USER, DISK or HARD-DISK

The sounds are also great . Clear ,warm and especially with the DSP they are very good.
It covers from classic to hyper modern so there is every thing you need on this board.

You can also record you playing live or in multi-track recording and later you can edit
your performing to correct mistakes or make changes .

I tried the Voice-editor on the CD on my computer with the Tyros and it works great
You can upload the voices from the Tyros to your Computer and edit the voices in very
sophisticated way to make new sounds and later send them to the Tyros in the
Custom voice bank .Then you can play your own voices and use them in registrations.

You have to see and hear this instrument because words can’t say everything.
There is a lot more for me to explore so my review is short but I hope you get a
good impression of this keyboard.

Gerrit

#183864 - 12/06/02 03:20 PM Re: Review TYROS
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Gerrit,
I agree with you 100%. I own a music store and I have almost every keyboard we discuss here on the forum, and this new Tyros has me more excited then any keyboard I've ever sold (or played).
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#183865 - 12/06/02 03:26 PM Re: Review TYROS
trtjazz Offline

Gerrit,
Thanks for your initial impressions of the T. Mine should arrive Monday and I get more excited everytime I read how much someone likes theirs.
Terry

#183866 - 12/06/02 03:57 PM Re: Review TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Gerrit,

Thanks for your Tyros report. I too am getting excited about receiving mine (hopefully) on Monday.

Scott

#183867 - 12/06/02 08:57 PM Re: Review TYROS
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by gerbo:
I tried the Voice-editor on the CD on my computer with the Tyros and it works great
You can upload the voices from the Tyros to your Computer and edit the voices in very
sophisticated way to make new sounds and later send them to the Tyros in the
Custom voice bank .Then you can play your own voices and use them in registrations.

Gerrit

Hmmm.. Now THAT piques my curiosity a little, because from the specs voice editing seemed to be similar to what the 9000 is capable of. When you say "sophisticated". what exactly does that mean if I may ask ? I'm coming from a Motif, ( and a PA80) so that's my idea of sophisticated voice editing.. Are the parameters limited to the very basics ( Attack, decay, cutoff, resonance, release, etc ), or are there real synth editing capabilities including LFO mods and amplitude adjustments ? Is there access to the raw samples ?

Good synth editing capabilities would at least make me want to try the board out more. I still think I am not a candidate for this board only because funds just aren't available right now and I won't part with my Motif ( or my PA80 ) for it. I'd miss the plug in board capability very much , but I couldn't care less about the sampling functions or lack therof.

AJ

#183868 - 12/06/02 09:24 PM Re: Review TYROS
Scottyee Offline

hi AJ, I don't know if the Tyros voice 'editing capabilities' themselves are more 'sophisticated' than say on the 9000pro, but the fact that you can edit & audition them via your PC computer's CRT/LCD screen instead of on the Tyros itself (via LCD screen sub menus) is what makes the Tyros 'voice' editing cabilities so much more CONVENIENT and USER FRIENDLY.

Gerbo, can you please tell us exactly WHAT 'voice editing' parameters are supported in the Tyros "Voice Editor" program included with the Tyros CD Rom? Thanks. - Scott

#183869 - 12/07/02 11:06 AM Re: Review TYROS
gerbo Offline

Loc: Vaassen, Netherlands
Hi Scott,

The complete edit parameters what you can do on a synthesizer
until the very basic element choice (8 elements together and edit them also)
I was very amazed and exited about this voice editor
So you have a complete synthesizer to make new sounds for the Tyros !!

Gerrit

#183870 - 12/07/02 11:28 AM Re: Review TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Hi Gerrit and all,

Here's a link to a preliminary review by Simon Williams of the Tyros 'Voice Editor' including some cool screenshots (scroll down to bottom of page to download .jpg images). You'll need to join the Yahoo Groups - TyrosWorld forum to access it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tyrosworld/message/1861

Simon's FULL review will be appearing on TyrosWorld soon. http://www.tyrosworld.com/

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online