SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172136 - 11/17/02 05:04 PM Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As a giging musician who needs to setup/breakdown both quickly and
frequently (sometimes multiple gigs/day), I'm curious how long it takes to setup the Tyros satellite speakers and sub woofer.

1) Are all the connecters standard jack (1/4" or 1/8" mini jack) type plugs which can be easily connected & disconnected? What plugs into what?

2) How quickly (minutes/seconds) and easily is it to attach/dettach the satellite speaker 'brackets' to the keyboard? Does it require a special type screwdriver: philips, standard, or specialized screwdriver head?

3) For frequent gig transport, is it recommended to keep the speaker brackets permanently attached to the keybord or are the brackets (plastic or metal?) too vulnerable to breakage/damage when transported this way in a soft (yet heavily padded) carrying case?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

#172137 - 11/18/02 04:04 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
About 4 days Scott.....

:-) Seriously, it takes me about 1 minute to remove them, I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Of course I dont remove the brackets, though 4 posidrive screws shouldn't take more than a minute to remove!
It would be quite easy if you are mechanically minded to screw a pair of slide-plates to the back of the tyros and to the brackets, and then simply clip them on and off. I'm sure it wouldn't be too tricky to make something up for this purpose. I'll look around and let you guys know of anything suitable.
I did put this question to Yamaha, they told me the brackets and fixings were very strong and shouldnt be a problem (though I wouldnt chance it myself). The brackets screw into a metal chassis inside the tyros, the brackets themselves are strong moulded plastic.

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#172138 - 11/18/02 06:05 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
About 4 days Scott.....

Simon

Simon , I knew you were a blonde . dano

#172139 - 11/18/02 06:44 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
One thing that hasn't been addressed is how those brackets will affect using a case with the Tyros. The idea of screwing something onto and off of a keyboard everytime you use it doesn't sound very practical, but leaving those protruding brackets on the keyboard is bound to be a liability to either the brackets or the case the Tyros is in. And I'll just bet that Yamaha isn't going to get involved in this debate by actually making their own travel case for the Tyros. Has anyone heard about Yamaha's plans to produce a case for the Tyros?

#172140 - 11/18/02 07:41 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I guess Yamaha believes the speaker system is only intended for home users, those who gig with it would probably be using external PA and not the speaker system. I agree though that repeatingly removing and replacing the brackets would eventually damage the threads over long term.

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#172141 - 11/18/02 08:24 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yes Simon, but if you read many of the posts here, you'll see that even pro users enjoy the benefits of having near-field monitors. In fact, this has been a major selling feature for arrangers over the years. Certainly the mounted speakers are a big part of any home user's needs but you'll find that the majority of pro users would rather have them than not. I would guess that most pro Tyros owners will buy the Tyros speakers and just deal with those protruding mounting brackets as best they can. I'm still curious as to whether Yamaha will attempt to make a Tyros travel case at some point.

#172142 - 11/18/02 09:24 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Magali Offline

Loc: FRANCE
OK Svpworld ,with training,less than
10 seconds
OK Le Pro My sales man have available
soft case,soft case with wheels and hard case.I have buy soft case for 80$
All this cases for TYROS

#172143 - 11/18/02 10:01 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

As the Pro pointed out so well, when gigging, many performers (like myself) need on board speakers to serve as a personal monitoring system only, as the main signal goes to a much larger professional PA system.

After reading people's view's about the Tyros speaker brackets, I'm beginning to think this may not be the best option for frequent multiple event/day gigging.

Another idea I've considered is to forget the brackets altogether, and just place the speakers directly on top of the Tyros keyboard, securing them to the kb with industrial strength velcro strips with adhesive backing. My only concern though is that the speakers would not be optimally angled (directed) toward your ears, but directed down toward your chest instead. Do you guys think mounting the satellite speakers in this way would negataively affect the sound quality heard in any appreciable way?

One of the limitations of using a PC computer type speaker configuration (two tiny satellite speakers plus a floor positioned sub woofer) as the Tyros speaker system uses , is that you lose a lot of the all important mid-low frequencies, so . . .

a possible better sounding monitioring solution would be to find small 'footprint dimensioned' powered speakers (type that don't rely on a floor positioned subwoofer) that are larger than the Tyros Satellite speakers, but still small enough to sit on top of the Tyros. I was wondering if there are any self powered 'near field' monitors available that are 'SMALL enough' to be accomodated to sit on top of the Tyros?

Also, can anybody tell me what the maximum speaker footprint dimensions (L& W) that the top of the Tyros can accomodate?

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

#172144 - 11/18/02 10:39 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Scott and everybody,

I spoke with Mark Anderson about this issue this morning. The speaker brackets are pretty flat and should not cause a problem with a case or gig bag. Nevertheless, I can see that these speakers are not for everybody. We're looking into another bracket that will mount to the back of the Tyros where the speaker brackets and the music rest brackets attach, allowing for larger speakers (e.g. Yamaha MSP5s) to be used. I'm not promising anything, but it looks like it will work to me. What do you guys think?

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#172145 - 11/18/02 11:47 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

Hi Steve and all,

As I don't think I would utilize the Tyros music rack myself, I strongly endorse your idea of utilizing the music stand's screw holes in tandem with the screw holes used for the above mentioned brackets to hold a special shelf which could securely HOLD a pair of Yamaha MSP5's or the smaller MSP3's.

Both the MSP3's footprint size and weight is quite a bit less than the MSP5's. Is there sufficient room on top of the Tyros to accomodate sitting the MSP3's directly on top of the keyboard?

I realize that the MSP5's have better sound quality, but wondering if the smaller & lighter MSP3's sound is as good as the Tyros speakers, and good enough for live performance personal monitoring? The problem with the Tyros speaker system is a loss of the all important mid-low frequencies, so I suspect even the MSP3's would be BETTER than the Tyros specific speakers in this area.

Yamaha MSP3 Self Powered Monitor:

http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPWS00008MSP3

Yamaha MSP5 Self Powered Monitor:

http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPWS00008MSP5

I look forward to getting feedback and advice about this.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online