SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#98766 - 11/13/02 06:11 AM WK8 does the Moon-Walk
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I reconfigured my setup last night...WK8 into the Mackie 1202, then the tape outputs of the Mackie into the SBLive and recording with SoundForge6. As far as effects go, the WK8 has an 'Effects Bypass' button on the front panel, that was activated.

Here is the mp3 of the midi file Moon River:
http://genny.lib.umn.edu/wk8moon.mp3

Here is the mp3 of the midi file Walk127
http://genny.lib.umn.edu/wk8walk127.mp3

I tried to match the levels of the Tyros' Moon River mp3 the best I could, recorded Moon, then recorded the Walk127, no changes.

Whatchu hear is whatchu get!

mike

#98767 - 11/13/02 08:57 AM Re: WK8 does the Moon-Walk
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
This is an excellent recording, thanks for putting the effort into it. The walkup test at 127 velocity helps determine where the multisample cutoff points are, and a lot more samples are used in the upper register than in the lower, which contributes to the incredibly bright sound of the lower register notes. The walkup at 90 velocity would help determine the differences that lower velocity makes in the tone so I recommend that you do this test also and send all three resulting MP3's to Simon at SVPworld for his comparison page. Judging from the Moon River demo, there's not much velocity-based variation in tone at all. Also, as with the Yamahas, I'm not crazy about the short decay on the initial tones.

All in all the WK8 has a pretty decent piano sound as far as overall realism goes, but it is excessively bright for my taste, especially in the lower register. It almost sounds like someone sampled a piano then turned the high EQ all the way up to max on playback. This would be great for cut-through piano solos in a band setting, but I'm more of a mellow-piano kinda guy. Others will like this piano sound a lot I'm sure.

#98768 - 11/13/02 09:04 AM Re: WK8 does the Moon-Walk
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am not a pianist, so your mileage may vary, but my ears can only detect a small difference between the Tyros and the WK8. Sounds like the Tyros has more string resonance then the WK8, but it is ever so slight. My ears hear no perceptible diffence between the Tyros and the PSR9000.
Hey I'm old.
Starkeeper

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online