SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136964 - 11/03/02 05:05 AM Reliability of Boards
trtjazz Offline

Hey gang I thought a thread about our experiences with the different boards as far as reliability and if there have been problems might be useful as a resource, for those considering a new board.

I'll start with the PA 80:

My first one out of the box, the floppy drive did not work. My second one worked flawlessly (almost) for about 1 1/2 years. The occasional lock up was usually the only problem I had.

They could use far better support for this board as well. I have not been a huge fan of Korg support and have not had great experiences with them in that respect.

I saw that others had problems with it though, like speaker cut out and speaker noise. And several with stuff not working right out of the box.

OK, your turn.....
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-03-2002).]

#136965 - 11/03/02 05:08 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
DannyUK Offline

I had a problem with the X1. The first one had a display problem (where the backlit screen would flicker constantly), and the second X1 had a HD failure. But once resolved, it has been working perfectly.

#136966 - 11/03/02 05:22 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
trtjazz Offline

Danny,
I think this is one of the best things we can learn from the forum. Not so much to beat up on the different boards but to be aware of some of the issues from real users and make a decision. After all I think that's part of what the forum is about ....exchanging honest info and opinions on the boards. I have heard about a couple of x1 problems similar to yours.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-03-2002).]

#136967 - 11/03/02 08:30 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
zuki Offline

I had a a couple of arrangers that actually scoffed at MY playing!
ZUK

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#136968 - 11/03/02 09:34 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hmmm

I owned a used Roland E16 once that froze up every once in a while..

My Roland E500 on the other hand had its power supply changed twice and the disk drive damaged my disks until that too was replaced...it function perfectly after that

#136969 - 11/03/02 10:37 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
BuleriaChk Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA,USA
My PA80 has worked flawlessly out of the box since I've had it; the only issue was a third party installation (the USB interface) which has since been resolved.

It is true that others have had occasional problems, but the frequency of them has decreased dramatically with the more recent operating systems.

#136970 - 11/03/02 10:50 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
Beakybird Offline

I have owned the Solton X1, the Yamaha PSR740, and the Yamaha PSR2000. The X1 was such a lemon, it was unbelievable. I had to ship it back to New York three times. The optional footpedal also had to be returned. Once when they sent me back the keyboard, and I took it out of the box, four loose screws came out with it.

Given that I used the PSR740 day in and day out, it held up pretty well. I owned two of them. One of them had problems twice with the a/c insert. One of them had a total failure that needed a new main board.

Of the two PSR2000s I have owned, one had a buzzy speaker right out of the box.

I play about 500-600 gigs a year. With both PSR2000s, I have had problems with the Style Control buttons starting to fail. It was such a hassle to have this repaired by a Yamaha authorized repair, that I had one repair done by a teenage tech geek I know. He did a better repair than the Yamaha techs.

Recently, I had the internal amp on one of the PSR2000s start to go, this is after a year of heavy use. The tech put in a new main board.

Now on my other PSR2000, I'm starting to notice some speaker buzz.

If you gig heavily with the PSR2000, you better own two of them.

I would be interested in hearing others' experiences.

Beakybird

#136971 - 11/03/02 11:34 AM Re: Reliability of Boards
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
I had problems with the slide volume control of Rolands E86, E96 .
I had problems with Start/stop and fill buttons of my G800.
The kbs of my Music School have the contact rubber of keys changed each year.(Some of these Kbs works 8 hours/day.)
Chico

#136972 - 11/03/02 01:07 PM Re: Reliability of Boards
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
First of all i think that problems mostly are due to yourself.
If you are somebody who are very careful abouth playing not too rough, pushing buttons and keys with respect and treat your equipment well (flightcases) your stuff will bring you less problems.
Here is my list of problems for the last ten years:
* Gem WS2 - Buttons replaced several times
* Gem WX2 - used abouth 500 gigs@5 hrs worldwide. Only mechanical problem with floppie drive - replaced.
* Roland G800 - Several frozen ups, updated 2 times and problems with an additional hard drive that caused problems with the power board. Fixed after 3 visits at Roland repair centre.
Pitch bender replaced after using it just a few times.
* Roland G1000 - CHEERIO!!! No problems at all after gigging with this machine abouth 300 times.
* Yamaha PSR 8000 - Right tweeter replaced, several buttons did not respond and recently contact rubber strip of the keys were wear out (replaced by myself). The buttons prolem is the scariest of all, the reliability of this board decreases enormously.

#136973 - 11/03/02 02:22 PM Re: Reliability of Boards
trtjazz Offline

On my PSR 9000 I can't say as I recall any problems at all in all the time I ownded....a couple of years. No freezes, no buzz, no nothing.....and no brains on my part for trading it in.
Terry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online